Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most bizarre S1 character award: Window
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shfelliotrpg

22731 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Most bizarre S1 character award: Window Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've recently been replaying Suiko1 to level up Sheena to *finally* get a chance to transfer his stats and use all the crazy three-runeslot tricks I've been drooling over Suikosource for ages now, and like many of you, after fifty playthroughs keep picking up the odd subtleties and smaller sidestories and subplots with the minor characters through each time that I might not have noticed the first 49 times. (plus Blue Moon's ever-handy character guide to fill in the details). Specifically, there are just certain quirks about the games in some of the minor characters that just baffle the mind. Like why *every* character in S1 leads a unit (or serves a function). Esmeralda, for instance, has a charge attack before Milich and Vincent join that group. Can you just imagine being the soldier stupid enough to be put in that regiment under her? "By the power of opals, I shall smite thee!"

That all aside, after this most recent playthrough (and off suikox/suikosource's info), I have to give the most bizarre character award to Window, who I considered such a nonentity my first few times.

I mean, *LOOK* at his biography. He's one of the three male characters from Warrior's Village (Hix, and Flik being the other 2), and he wears a top hat and wants to be a Windowmaker. Despite the fact he's been raised in Warrior Village, he's from the secret Windowmaker family. How the heck did he get there? Did the Windowmakers drop him off for fun? Did Dr. John Windowmaker have a little side affair with the Warrior Village's Item Shop maker and leave an illegitimate child? Also, how was it for a male windowmaker growing up in Warrior's Village? Lord, Hix got ostracized because he lacks self-confidence as a warrior. This guy doesn't want to fight; he wants to put stained glass in your hut. The tall hat is probably to keep his head from getting all the swirlies the other Warrior Village kids gave him. For a guy whose only purpose is to change the color of your window, what an odd backstory.

Just a random thought.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that Window is *that* bizarre at all. I mean, think about him this way. Yes, he was born and raised in Warrior's Village, but fact is, he was still from a family of window makers. It would be more bizarre IMO if someone from a window maker family would want to be a warrior, but not so bizarre for someone in Warrior's Village to want to be a window maker. Even people who live in Rokkaku Hamlet or Dragon Knight Fortress aren't all ninjas or dragon knights. So it's not too bizarre IMO.

On the other hand, it might be even more bizarre to see Flik compared to Window. As mentioned, at least Window came from window maker family. So it's understandable why his passion was window making instead of bone breaking, blood spilling, and punching people. Whereas Flik was born and raised as a warrior. He went on the manhood proving journey and even followed the custom of Warrior's Village by naming the sword with someone he loved (Odessa) , but in the end, never bothered to actually finish the journey and return to the village. It's like doing something 99% and only needed 1% left to finish it off, but then decided to throw it all away for nothing. Well now that I read it again, it might be more of stupid than bizarre, but hey, at least I think Window isn't really bizarre at all.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

flik is a widdle boy...

but...window dresses in an un-warrior village type fashion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

weird - of strange or extraordinary character -Webster's Dictionary

Yeah so, if I went by this definition, then I don't think Window would take the 'award' for weirdest character in Suikoden 1.
He would be on the list of semi-finalists, but I'm doubting that he would win the tittle.

Here is some semi-finalists that I picked, and reason for:

1. Milich Oppenheimer - Going by looks alone, the guys already fits the defintion of weird, because only him and Vincent Du Boule dress like they do in Suiko 1.
Everything about the character is different from everybody else in S1(besides Vincent), from the way he dresses, the manner of his speech, his mannerisms, his interests, to the look of his house and castle.
About the only thing he has in common with anybody else in S1 is that he is a general, which there are a few others.

2. Vincent Du Boule - Weirder than Milich? I think probably yes.
The guy has absolutely nothing in common with anybody, except for Milich(the way they act and dress) and Sheena(they're both wandering aristocrats).
He has many of the same traits as Milich, but maybe not as flamboyant.
The only person that thinks he has something in common with everybody is..Vincent!
He is definitely not ordinary.

3. Window - There is difinitely the way that he dresses to take into account here. It is a cross between Paul McCartney and Marilyn Manson, and that is for sure different, at least in the Suikoden world.
And when he was in the Warriors Village he did stick out from the other villagers(since they were all warriors. But then he joined your army, and it then seemed not so strange to be a window maker, because most poeple were different from each other there, and Window is not that far out there, he just dresses funny.

4. Qlon - His weirdness seems to come from him being kind of out of it most of the time, but since there are some others that have that qualification, he probably won't win.

These were just characters that caught my attention, because they looked weird, not that they had the most unusual character(but a couple on this list still have that).
If suppose if I did an indepth charecter study on each SoD in Suiko 1, I would probably come up with a completly different list of semi- finalists.
But at the moment, I haven't studied enough for the purposes of this post to make that list, so I am just posting on looks for now. =)
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh I would have to say Vincent beats Window as the most bizarre character in Suikoden I. Sure, Window stuck out like a sore thumb in the Warrior's Village but Vincent was just plain nuts, in my opinion. I mean come on, he goes around flaunting how aristocratic he is and then tells the owner of the inn/restaurant that it's a privilage to be owed money by him.... I'd say that action alone automatically shoots Window down from being the most bizarre in S1.

I never really paid much attention to Window, personally. He was just one of those characters that were.... there! I had to go back into that damned cave to get him the window set and that's about all besides his, "I want to make windows! Colored windows!" desire. But still, he doesn't seem all that bizarre at all - just different than the others from the village. I'm sure if you put him in some other town or village he wouldn't stick out as much and you wouldn't say he was all that bizarre afterall.

Whereas Flik was born and raised as a warrior. He went on the manhood proving journey and even followed the custom of Warrior's Village by naming the sword with someone he loved (Odessa) , but in the end, never bothered to actually finish the journey and return to the village. It's like doing something 99% and only needed 1% left to finish it off, but then decided to throw it all away for nothing.

In my personal opinion I'd say Flik just didn't care to finish with what he started. Traditions aren't at all that important when you find a life of your own. For example, I started Sunday school when I was 12 years old because I believed I was supposed to go through some kind of religious "training," for lack of a better term. Well I was baptized by age 13 and went on for another year of Sunday school to receive communion by the age of 14. Now, by the time I reached high school I decided I didn't even believe in Catholicism and didn't want to continue with my studies (if you can even call it that... bootleg church). Although I wasn't almost done with it - I was pretty close to receiving confirmation and just decided to drop it.

The same thing could have happened to Flik. He could've believed that he was supposed to become an accepted member of the Warriors Village and went out on his quest to prove himself. And sure, he followed the traditions for a while until he finally decided it wasn't the path he wanted to take. It doesn't mean he failed - it just means that he went on to do his own thing and that was to break away from tradition.

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd probably add Sydonia to that list of wierd people

Everything about that guy is weird.
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RandomGuy wrote:
I'd probably add Sydonia to that list of wierd people

Everything about that guy is weird.

Yeah, I was going to add him too, but I just don't know enough about him.
All he seems to say is "heh".
He is an odd one though.
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Guillaume...

I rest my case.

All the way to the edge of this world
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gillaume isn't in Suikoden 1

Flik was likely satisfied with what he accomplished, so I'm sure that he doesn't feel the need to ever go back to the Villiage.

Still though, Window as the most bizzare person in S1? Out of all the shady characters in the game, Window pales in comparison. Personally, if I met someone like Milich, I'd turn around and run faster than Stallion ever could.

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alseid wrote:
Guillaume...

I rest my case.

Guillaume is worse than weird.
He is a thief and most likely a pedophile, and he deserves to be put in the mental ward with Hannibal Lecter.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Greenunderground, I agree, in fact after I recruited him the first time, I was actually conflicted in whether or not I actually did the right thing.

My soul felt so dirty or something.....
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Gillaume isn't in Suikoden 1

Strewth! I completely forgot this was about S1 chars only.

My apologies.

All the way to the edge of this world
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, if I met someone like Milich, I'd turn around and run faster than Stallion ever could.

Although I've seen stranger people in Manhattan I'd have to agree with your proposed reaction. Ahh, but in some way he reminds me of someone from my friend's family and that scares me more than anything about Milich. ;P I personally don't like him for Soniere though...

Speaking of Guillaume, or however his name is spelled... I wasn't sure whether or not I should get him to appraise my items. :lol: For whatever reason I kept thinking back to the point where he tells Koroku it doesn't matter that he saw him switch items since he can't speak.

Yeah, I think I'd run a little faster from him than from Milich though.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup, Vincent is bizarre for sure. I didn't really notice the non-Warrior's Village characters while I was replying for the first time. But now that his name is mentioned, he should be somewhere up there on the list of the most bizarre S1 character. Not only for the way he dressed, the way he spoke, and the way he claimed to be nobleman, but what I found the most bizarre thing about him is that he played in Dragon's Den when he was a little boy!!!!! Imagine the chance of finding the secret path/cave to the Dragon's Den if we're not told by the self-proclaimed aristrocat named Vincent. Boy oh boy, Tir McDohl really owed Vincent a lot. Funny as well to see him in the prison caught by imperial soldiers around Moravia Castle. Aristrocat in prison, always fun to see.

Quote:
In my personal opinion I'd say Flik just didn't care to finish with what he started. Traditions aren't at all that important when you find a life of your own.

True that traditions aren't all that important when you find a life of your own. But as I mentioned before (though probably not clear enough), the background of Flik is what made his decision to be bizarre. Not the decision itself.

To compare it with you being in Sunday school and ended up not wanting to be a Christian is not really accurate because they are two different things for sure. But imagine if you're from a family living in Vatican and everyone from your family seems to end up as priests or nuns. Then when you were almost becoming a priest yourself (following the tradition and also way of life of your family), you suddenly said that you want to be a hairdresser instead. That's bizarre. Not because you want to be a hairdresser, but because you had done almost all the needed things to become a priest before you decided to do a U-turn.

That's why IMO Flik was bizarre, because he was born in Warrior's Village, he was raised in Warrior's Village, he liked fighting, he became a good warrior, and probably he could be considered as the way that a warrior should be. But in the end, he didn't even bother to finish the journey of manhood. Sure it's probably just tradition, but I'd like to think that the warriors from Warrior's Village treated it as more than a tradition, and more like their way of life rather than a simple tradition that probably meant nothing. But of course, I could be wrong.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but it was also a choice for him and him alone to make. You could love the lifestyle and still choose not to follow it. Flik found other things to do than finish his journey of manhood. So he got pretty close to completing it but it just doesn't seem to be such a bizarre decision to me at all.

Flik has gone through quite a bit in his life and perhaps losing Oddessa had something to do with him not returning to the Warrior's Village? Hm... maybe a bad point. xP
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: