Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Healthy Diets n' stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I try, but I'm probably the last person who eats healthy, or at least as healthy as I should.

First, when I wake up, I always try to eat something for breakfast, but sometimes I have to skip out (and it makes me feel like crap). On a good day I get a few slices of whole-wheat toast (so much better for you than white bread), a few hard-boiled eggs, a bowl of cereal, some yogurt and a glass of juice (I like apple better than orange). On a bad day, like I said nothing, or maybe a granola bar and a glass of water, anything to just put something in the tank. Usually I can manage at least a 2/5 of my list for the good day, and it's usually yogurt, cereal and juice, which is good. Light, but good, enough to pick me up.

I'm eating stuff all day. If any of you ever met me, you'd kick me out of your house for eating all of your food. I mean anything here; cold pizza, more breakfast food, fresh fruit, pasta, ice cream, doritos, chicken fingers, dill pickles, cake icing, fast food, any type of meat, kool-aid mix...seriously, you name it and chances are I've eaten it and would again if given the chance.

Really, I only have about two stable meals a day; breakfast and dinner, with tons of snacks in between. Dinner is random, but I guess it must be working. I'm 22 and weigh 175 pounds (at 6'3), like I have all my life. I guess it's just genetics. If you eat less, inflammation causes less DNA damage, and as a result you live longer, link.

I know that you need to eat certain things to get and stay healthy. You should start with a good multivitamin. Taking those banjo gods gives you a chance to cut yourself a little slack. Fresh fruit and fruit juice is good. You're from NS, right St. Ajora? I know that you guys can get great blueberries, and those just do wonders for you with the antioxidants and stuff. Orange juice is key, and slowly I'm training myself to like it better. Apparently pomegranite juice is also very good, to the same effect as blueberries.

For veggies you need romaine lettuce, never iceberg (Head) lettuce. Potatos are a heavy hit of starch, so good the odd time but not often. Carrots keep your eyes in tip top shape, and tomatos have been proven to prevent prostate cancer as part of a regular diet (which I know doesn't apply to you, but still it might provent another kind of cancer in women, who knows?)

Meat and dairy are good in small doses. For dairy, about the only thing that's consistently good for you is yogurt, the ones with mixed fruit are also tasty. You should also drink a little milk, and you can get skim, 1%, 2% or homogenized (3.25%), and the calcium in it is very clutch. I love red meat, and try to eat it every few weeks, but I know that it's probably really bad for me. I should eat more fish, which is very good for you and much lighter on your system. If I lived in the Maritimes, I'd eat fish every day, starting with the white-fleshed ones (like sole and tilapia) before moving to the red (salmon and trout), and finally, the lobster. PEI lobster is the best in the world.

If you don't want to eat a lot of meat (or fish), but need the nutrients, it's in nuts, seeds and grains. Those things are chock full of protein and iron.

That's about all I can offer.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
I'm thinking about joining a gym maybe in the winter time, but to join a program like yoga, or something. I didn't know about that last bit, so that's very helpful. When I do get the courage to work out, I'm always paranoid I'll get muscles and well I'm strictly interested in being toned :P

This is a myth. By going to the gym, you are not going to suddenly become super bulked up. You will only become super bulked up if you eat a diet that specifically is geared toward gaining weight.

If you want to keep a toned body, then make sure you do some light weight training in combination with a good cardio workout. The cardio is important because you will burn the calories that may otherwise build up as fat and make your body look less toned.

As for cooking oil, I tend to use cooking oil because, without it, food tends to burn. Yes, if you want to reduce your intake of bad stuff, not using butter is a good idea; most vegetarians and vegans replace it with olive oil (extra virgin is the only kind you should ever buy). However, olive oil has a flavour. I believe Schala-kid recommended against canola oil, but it is one of the more popular oils used for frying and deep-frying because it has very little flavour and is known to have less bad fats (I think it's fat).

It goes without saying to avoid trans-fats. Cookies, cakes, and pop are out as well. If you can get by on a diet of fruits and vegetables, you're going to be quite healthy.

And for tofu, tofu comes in many different forms. Most of it comes in a cube that you can cut up for use in different kinds of cooking. As has been mentioned, tofu soaks flavour, so if you want your tofu to taste like fish, then put it in the frying pan with the fish juices. Chinese cooking involves using a lot of soft silken tofu served with fish.

No, it does not really taste like ground beef burgers, either. It just kind of tastes like... well, tofu with meat-flavoured sauce cooked into it. I am not a particularly big fan of it but I'll have one on occasion when I feel like something different. The texture is totally different from normal burgers. My family often makes fun of the idea of fake meat, saying that, with all of the salt, chemicals, and flavouring they add to the tofu, you'll get something that's even more artificial than just eating the meat that you want.

I'm not sure if you're trying to eat "healthier", or if you're trying to eat with a particular goal in mind? If you're just looking to eat organic, then perhaps that's all you need to do: buy organic fruits and vegetables and organic meats. You should also pay attention to the ingredient labels and the nutrition label on the food that you buy. Take a peek at it and see exactly what you're consuming.

Tea is known to be quite good for you. I'm a fan of Chinese green tea, but I also don't mind the bitterness since I grew up with tea.

I confess, I pay attention to my diet and I'm health-conscious at times, but I still really enjoy my steak, my bacon, and my eggs.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never in my life tried to eat healthy... I am about 6'4" (194 cm) and weigh 94 kg. That isn't great, but who cares... okay, many people care, but I won't. Since I live in an own apartement above my grandparents my grandma cooks for me. That means I eat breakfast before I go to work, consisting of two slices of white bread with a glass of milk and a cup coffee. At work I am able to eat whenever I want and so I can eat my lunch with breaks. I eat three slices of bread with a few tomatoes, two apples and one banana (hey, that sounds actually quite healthy...). After work, that means about 5:30 pm I am back at home and eat my second lunch if you want to call it like this. Good old plain fare from grandma. My supper is about 7:00 pm ready to be eaten.

That is not bad, but the only problem is that I am awake till about 1:00 am and I could eat again. But I try to resist and not to eat so late at the evening. I am drinking not enough for a man of my shape, but I get along with this for years and probably won't change it in the next future and I won't make a diet... He died because he diet, or what? Everyone else can eat as much and whatever they want, but I hope people won't try to look skinny or model-like *shudder* Since you have enough good tipps for a healthy diet, I just wanted to say you should feel comfortable and enjoy eating.

The Fool
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I believe Schala-kid recommended against canola oil, but it is one of the more popular oils used for frying and deep-frying because it has very little flavour and is known to have less bad fats (I think it's fat).

yeah, i don't like using it, firstly because it's over-priced for a not bad, not great, oil, and 2ndly, if it's produced in a country which is using GE produce, then it could be GE. i'm not a big fan of the prospect of eating GE stuff. in australia, australian canola oil is fine, for the time being.

people are equating eating healthy with "no fat" "no sugars" "no carbs" and stuff. did everyone lose their tastebuds or something? i like my milk when i drink it, full cream, and un homogenized! i like it like that, because it's how milk used to be, before they made it

homogenised
skim
semi skimmed
high calcium
vitamin enriched
Omega-3 enriched
long life UHT
Condensed
Evaporated
instant powder
flavoured milk varities
milk targeted to children (with all the vitamins they need, and i'm not talking baby formula)
...you get the picture.

i apologise actually, you have the right to go to the store and find a milk that suits you, by all means, but "convenient living" has become so ridiculous in my opinion their throwing fish oils into milk. i just like my things simple, generally. (that's not to say i don't drink other milks than unhomogenised full cream milk, either.)

so long as you eat/drink whatever you feel like for the reasons you want to, then whoop-de-do-la-do.

if you want to be healthy and cut out all the things you like so that you live as long as possible, then you're missing out on a lot of 'fun' if i could use that word. if your eating foods because they're "proven" to fight/prevent cancer, and not because you like them, then your eating them for the wrong reason.

try anything, eat anything, just make sure your body can handle what you feed it (ie, if you eat pasta and potatoes daily, you'd need more excercise than someone who ate a chicken ceasar salad).

i'm gonna go with eden here and say eat what you feel comfortable with, and enjoy eating! don't turn it into a long list of "i can't ever eat that again because i'm eating healthy, and that is bad". i don't think there's much "bad" food out there, just some foods you shouldn't eat every day. there are of course bad ingredients (spoilt vegetables, old fruit, bad oils, additives, so on), and using them makes bad food!
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Also, m'dear, I am tempted to say something about your need for meat, but I can't really bring myself to say it. Anyway, just make sure that you don't eat anything, even the healthy stuff, too much.

You are so BAD. I just knew you would bring...adult stuff to my thread :O

Quote:
Moderatino is the key. Something that I am still trying to figure out. Hope that your plans on dieting go well for you

It's good that a lot of you are echoing this moderation thing. I've lived by "everything in moderation" for a couple years now, and I'm taking it a bit more seriously all of a sudden. It's true, ain't?

Quote:
So yeah. I also hate when people try to tell me my diet is unhealthy when they have no experience in something where they would know about nutrition.

I think it's a case of what works best for you. Everyone's metabolism and nutritional needs are different (and fluctuate) so while I don't think it would be good for *me* to go on this White Diet, it's something that suited and tailored to your body and metabolism (and gender, I'm sure).

Quote:
ninjar, i didn't even know how to interpret your comment, so apologies in advance if i misinterpreted your remark!

Knowing Ninjar, he was being a schmooze.

Quote:
also, i personally prefer butter to margerine!

Ahh, I usually eat margerine. What's the difference between the two again? I've heard so many heated arguements over what is "better" for you.

Quote:
I don't like its taste and texture, probably because I used to live close to a meat-processing plant when I grew up and I used to go take a look at their production lines (which was in plain sight) and think how gross it all was.

I'm sure if that were me, I'd feel the same way.

Quote:
I don't understand the need to "understand" your food. It's just stuff you put into your mouth and get nutrients out of. All I can say is you'll just have to try it. I tend to eat tofu as it is, and I don't make it into "tofu burgers" or whatever. It's a natural part of a Japanese diet anyways.

Well, I generally like knowing what I'm putting into my mouth. I'm a very picky and fussy eater, and the looks of some foods can just instantly make me say no to never trying and eating them. Plus, I wouldn't know what to look for in the grocery store since I have no specific understanding of what tofu is. C'est la vie, I guess. I'll have to look.

Quote:
It has "no taste" for beginners (althouh I can tell the difference), and it can be added to various different types of dishes. It absorbs flavor like a sponge, and depending on its firmness (they usually sell soft tofu and firm tofu anywhere), you can scramble it or make it smooth and lather-like (and use it as a binder for dips, etc). I've used tofu to replace 1 cup of flour and one egg when I baked cookies, and chop em up and throw em into soups all the time. It's just an easy way to get a lot of nutrients for a busy Ohio man like myself.

That adds to what I was reading. Hmm, thoughts begin to form...

Quote:
First, when I wake up, I always try to eat something for breakfast, but sometimes I have to skip out (and it makes me feel like crap). On a good day I get a few slices of whole-wheat toast (so much better for you than white bread), a few hard-boiled eggs, a bowl of cereal, some yogurt and a glass of juice (I like apple better than orange).

That made my tummy growl. Like you, I like to have all of those things but if I don't have the time or "resources" I just cop out and have something plain or something.

Quote:
You're from NS, right St. Ajora? I know that you guys can get great blueberries, and those just do wonders for you with the antioxidants and stuff

Yeah! And although I dislike blueberries on their own (I just have a weird thing for some fresh fruit- it's too strong for my mouth, so I eat them in other ways, such as smoothies, muffins, etc) I have been thinking of ways to add them into my diet SOMEHOW. And goodness, they're so expensive when they're frozen.

Quote:
For veggies you need romaine lettuce, never iceberg (Head) lettuce. Potatos are a heavy hit of starch, so good the odd time but not often. Carrots keep your eyes in tip top shape, and tomatos have been proven to prevent prostate cancer as part of a regular diet (which I know doesn't apply to you, but still it might provent another kind of cancer in women, who knows?)

Out of those, I'm strictly a potato and carrot girl, both of which I eat a lot. I try to eat different coloured potatoes since they all seem to be different in what they offer nutrition-wise.

Quote:
Meat and dairy are good in small doses. For dairy, about the only thing that's consistently good for you is yogurt, the ones with mixed fruit are also tasty. You should also drink a little milk, and you can get skim, 1%, 2% or homogenized (3.25%), and the calcium in it is very clutch.

I'm addicted to dairy ;_; Especially cheese oh god, if I could live my life with just eating cheese I so would (if it had fibre >>). I usually drink 2% milk, but like I said elsewhere, I've strayed from that to soy milk, so I get more soy than milk (I love both). I had no idea how fattening 2% is, until I looked at the label. I suppose there are worse things though.

Quote:
I should eat more fish, which is very good for you and much lighter on your system. If I lived in the Maritimes, I'd eat fish every day, starting with the white-fleshed ones (like sole and tilapia) before moving to the red (salmon and trout), and finally, the lobster. PEI lobster is the best in the world.

Yeah we have the good stuff here, although I don't eat lobster. Never have and I don't think I ever will since it seems so...messy *blush*. Sole is GREAT with some light batter on it (parmesan sole is WONDERFUL) and the tilapia is great too, a good alternative to haddock, since I find that they have similar tastes. If you're ever looking for some new fish to chow down on, look for smoked cajun salmon. Oh lordy. I eat that all the time. Smoked salmon is so so so good.

And wow Maritimes, I thought that only Maritimers used that word, haha. That's refreshing to hear.

Quote:
If you don't want to eat a lot of meat (or fish), but need the nutrients, it's in nuts, seeds and grains. Those things are chock full of protein and iron

I'm not a nut lover, they're too hard on my teeth and I find that aside from peanuts, they don't really seem to have any flavour. Maybe I should give them a try again.

Quote:
If you want to keep a toned body, then make sure you do some light weight training in combination with a good cardio workout. The cardio is important because you will burn the calories that may otherwise build up as fat and make your body look less toned.

Very helpful!!

Quote:
As for cooking oil, I tend to use cooking oil because, without it, food tends to burn. Yes, if you want to reduce your intake of bad stuff, not using butter is a good idea; most vegetarians and vegans replace it with olive oil (extra virgin is the only kind you should ever buy). However, olive oil has a flavour. I believe Schala-kid recommended against canola oil, but it is one of the more popular oils used for frying and deep-frying because it has very little flavour and is known to have less bad fats (I think it's fat).

Yeah, my mom buys extra virgin olive oil margerine and it seems to be marketed as being very good for you. I'll make sure that's the kind of oil I have next time I have an excursion in the kitchen.

Quote:
It goes without saying to avoid trans-fats. Cookies, cakes, and pop are out as well. If you can get by on a diet of fruits and vegetables, you're going to be quite healthy

my weakness there is probably just cake, which I eat about once a month. Yay! I find that I have a high tolerance to junk food.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're trying to eat "healthier", or if you're trying to eat with a particular goal in mind? If you're just looking to eat organic, then perhaps that's all you need to do: buy organic fruits and vegetables and organic meats. You should also pay attention to the ingredient labels and the nutrition label on the food that you buy. Take a peek at it and see exactly what you're consuming.

I've been programmed to look at every label I see when I'm shopping (and digging in the pantry). I apologize for not bringing up organic food because yes, I'd like to buy as much organic food as I can, but alas, it isn't necessarily any less fattening for example, than artificial stuff. So that's when it pays to carefully scrutinized the label. You're right.

Quote:
Tea is known to be quite good for you. I'm a fan of Chinese green tea, but I also don't mind the bitterness since I grew up with tea.

The only type of tea along those lines I can consume reguarly, is something with mint in it. I tried green tea on its own and I just couldn't stomach it, even with splenda in it. I find that the mint after taste is more refreshing and flavourable to me. So my choice is herbal with mint. I'd like to try other flavours though.

Quote:
That is not bad, but the only problem is that I am awake till about 1:00 am and I could eat again. But I try to resist and not to eat so late at the evening.

I hear that it is good for you to eat a light snack around your bedtime. Certain foods make you sleepier. However I guess, in your middleage, you should refraine from doing this (especially if you're a woman). When I can't sleep, I eat a little slice of cheddar cheese.

Quote:
but I hope people won't try to look skinny or model-like *shudder* Since you have enough good tipps for a healthy diet, I just wanted to say you should feel comfortable and enjoy eating

Eh I must admit that I have my bouts with the self esteem, but I always remind myself that the model look is sooooo unhealthy. I'm considered skinny, but I'm not totally lean like some of those women and I just have to tell myself that what they're doing is just not good for their bodies. I LOVE eating. Food is one of great joys in life (whether you love eating it, making it, etc) and I find it awful that some girls and women these days actually shy away from...eating! Just because they think that simple eating will make them "fat". It's so sad.

Quote:
yeah, i don't like using it, firstly because it's over-priced for a not bad, not great, oil, and 2ndly, if it's produced in a country which is using GE produce, then it could be GE. i'm not a big fan of the prospect of eating GE stuff. in australia, australian canola oil is fine, for the time being.

I read about GE stuff yesterday, and I've never really paid attention to that, but next time I go shopping, I sure will.

Quote:
if you want to be healthy and cut out all the things you like so that you live as long as possible, then you're missing out on a lot of 'fun' if i could use that word. if your eating foods because they're "proven" to fight/prevent cancer, and not because you like them, then your eating them for the wrong reason

This is very true and I agree. It's just that a lot of people these days (older) have not had a consistent and moderated diet most of their lives, and so now, with all these diseases and conditions cropping up everywhere, they now focus their energy on eating foods tailored to their specific ailment. Which is horrible, since they should have been more preventive, than reactive.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
Eh I must admit that I have my bouts with the self esteem, but I always remind myself that the model look is sooooo unhealthy. I'm considered skinny, but I'm not totally lean like some of those women and I just have to tell myself that what they're doing is just not good for their bodies. I LOVE eating. Food is one of great joys in life (whether you love eating it, making it, etc) and I find it awful that some girls and women these days actually shy away from...eating! Just because they think that simple eating will make them "fat". It's so sad.

Hey, if that is what you feel the best for you. I have to admit I was talking about skinny at first because I think it's unsexy, let the health aspect aside. I personally think that skinny people don't look attractive... or let's say not as attractive as they could with a few pounds more. That is of course only what I think.

I believe people should eat what and as much as they want, but they should let me do the same. I can't imagine to count calories or eat my stuff seperated, because it's better for you. I eat, because my body need it and because I am a bon vivant. Eating is great and my sense of taste is good, because I have never smoked and so I could enjoy my meal without sugar and salt or whatever else is not that good for your body. I say could, because I enjoy it nonetheless. I like my meat unctuous and my milk directly from the cow with a grease film. I ate chicken while the bird flu was around, beef while BSE was new and everything else what tastes good during the wave of aftosa.

If you don't want to eat some stuff, okay, but if you don't eat because it it's not good for the shape of your body of something, I can only say you miss something.

The Fool
Baz Von Steinitz

The Chaos Order

120743 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schala-Kid wrote:
Quote:

I believe Schala-kid recommended against canola oil, but it is one of the more popular oils used for frying and deep-frying because it has very little flavour and is known to have less bad fats (I think it's fat).

people are equating eating healthy with "no fat" "no sugars" "no carbs" and stuff. did everyone lose their tastebuds or something? i like my milk when i drink it, full cream, and un homogenized! i like it like that, because it's how milk used to be, before they made it

homogenised
skim
semi skimmed
high calcium
vitamin enriched
Omega-3 enriched
long life UHT
Condensed
Evaporated
instant powder
flavoured milk varities
milk targeted to children (with all the vitamins they need, and i'm not talking baby formula)
...you get the picture.

i apologise actually, you have the right to go to the store and find a milk that suits you, by all means, but "convenient living" has become so ridiculous in my opinion their throwing fish oils into milk. i just like my things simple, generally. (that's not to say i don't drink other milks than unhomogenised full cream milk, either.)

so long as you eat/drink whatever you feel like for the reasons you want to, then whoop-de-do-la-do.

if you want to be healthy and cut out all the things you like so that you live as long as possible, then you're missing out on a lot of 'fun' if i could use that word. if your eating foods because they're "proven" to fight/prevent cancer, and not because you like them, then your eating them for the wrong reason.

try anything, eat anything, just make sure your body can handle what you feed it (ie, if you eat pasta and potatoes daily, you'd need more excercise than someone who ate a chicken ceasar salad).

i'm gonna go with eden here and say eat what you feel comfortable with, and enjoy eating! don't turn it into a long list of "i can't ever eat that again because i'm eating healthy, and that is bad". i don't think there's much "bad" food out there, just some foods you shouldn't eat every day. there are of course bad ingredients (spoilt vegetables, old fruit, bad oils, additives, so on), and using them makes bad food!

AMEN!!! :D

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora, how much potch did you get for that message...? :shock:

Anyway, I may try flax seeds. I've looked for some kind of food that has loads of Omega fatty acids, and it sounds like a good thing to try.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My mother is extremely health conscious to the point where we make our own bread from scratch (and this includes milling our own flour). I know a lot of the junk in white bread contributes to the toxins that sticks to your colon, and we've read up on some pretty nasty medical incidents involving finger nails in that mix. Needless to say, we don't eat white bread, like, ever. Besides, after eating the home-made stuff toasted with some of our home-made friut spread, I've never went back.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ajora says:
Quote:
And wow Maritimes, I thought that only Maritimers used that word, haha. That's refreshing to hear.

I thought that's what all Canadians called the eastern provinces. See, I'm from Toronto *gets garbage thrown at him by the rest of the Canadians*, so it was always just an easier way to lump all of those provinces into one, simple word.

OOOMFG, you have to start eating Lobster. Yeah, it's messy as hell, but it's soooooooooo tasty, especially with melted butter. You can get the best in the world no problem out there, so why not? Oh, and they don't scream when you boil them, that's the steam from the water in their shells being boiled leaving their bodies.

Nuts and grains and berries aren't good for your teeth? Wow, I don't know how to explain that one. If you have sensitive teeth, give the dentist a bit of info and s/he should be able to help you. If not and it's just bad, try brushing before you eat as opposed to after. I started doing that about 3 years ago (when I had super-sensitive teeth) and now they're strong enough to eat anything.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not that diet conscious, but i am trying to lose some weight. My sister on the other hand, is trying out that Atkin's Diet, the last time i chatted with her. I think she's still doing it today.

I am 175 cm tall and weight 87 kg. On the BMI, that puts me between 25 and 30, making me overweight *sigh*. But i'll try to give out some tips that i know:

St. Ajora wrote:

Quote:

Out of those, I'm strictly a potato and carrot girl, both of which I eat a lot. I try to eat different coloured potatoes since they all seem to be different in what they offer nutrition-wise.

Unless you're a belivier in the Atkins' diet potatoes are a no no, being very rich in carbs and all. I can't live without potatoes, loving them myself.

Quote:

Quote:

Very helpful!!

I don't know about toning, but it is true nonetheless that light weight training and doing more cardivascular training will help. So no other comment here.

Quote:

Quote:
but I hope people won't try to look skinny or model-like *shudder* Since you have enough good tipps for a healthy diet, I just wanted to say you should feel comfortable and enjoy eating

I heard about how the percentage of obese people in France is a mere 11% or so, because of the way the French eat. So if you want some help, find out how the French women eat, since they seem to have some secret way of eating as much at they want but still keeping their figure.

Plus, i find those anorexic or bulemic (SP?) girls to look extremely gros *shudders*. Oh man, they make my stomach churn...in disgust.

One thing that i heard in a documentary about all these diets, that i believe in, is that there is no one guaranteed diet will work for everyone. And i'm dubious about those programs in which you merely eat right, without doing any exercise. I suggest that you do as Arcana suggested, with some light workouts.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Very helpful!!

I don't know about toning, but it is true nonetheless that light weight training and doing more cardivascular training will help. So no other comment here.

Repetition tones muscle whereas heavy weight training makes them bigger.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I personally think that skinny people don't look attractive... or let's say not as attractive as they could with a few pounds more. That is of course only what I think

I agree with that. One of my biggest nitpicks about women who have a rail-thin body (by choice, not by genetics of course :P) is that they lose the skin around their abdomen...I just about puke. Their stomach is so flat and toned, they have none of that womanly fat just right around their hips and at the body of their stomach...a lot of women, you'll see that their tummy is flat, but they still have that birthing "pouch" below on the sides of their belly button. And the ones who diet and exercise to much don't have it; their stomachs are like plywood and I think to myself "How do you ladies plan on having a child someday?! There's like nothing there to support any weight gain..." Anyway, that's my rant of the day.

Quote:
I can't imagine to count calories or eat my stuff seperated, because it's better for you.

I admit I do this a lot, or else I would sucumb to eating high calorie foods constantly. If I didn't stay informed, I'm sure I'd be ten pounds heavier.

Quote:
If you don't want to eat some stuff, okay, but if you don't eat because it it's not good for the shape of your body of something, I can only say you miss something

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with indulging ;) As long as you don't center your life around it.

Quote:
St. Ajora, how much potch did you get for that message...?

I have no idea, haha. Probably a bajillion.

Quote:
Needless to say, we don't eat white bread, like, ever. Besides, after eating the home-made stuff toasted with some of our home-made friut spread, I've never went back.

I don't eat white bread either. The last time I ate it, it came back up in the toilet. Ahh. And that's another thing- two years ago this summer, I had a bad infection in my gallbladder, and then my pancreas. It was the most painful time of my life and I wasn't allowed to eat for 4 days. When I could, my mother had to detox my body so she bought all this natural stuff-whole wheat bread, soy hotdogs, cranberry juice, low fat cheese, melbatoast, chicken broth...stuff like that was all I could eat for about a month. For the next year, I was constantly watching what I ate because I was terrified any fatty foods would make my pancreas flare up again. I must admit, to this day I'm still cautious about what I eat, and I do have a desire to return to such a low-meat, natural/organic diet because it made me feel great (even if I was hungry a lot, or thought I was hungry)

Anyway, white bread is what triggered my painful reaction and it's one of those things that has a negative memory attached to it. I could never touch it again. You're lucky that home made bread is on your table all the time, that sounds delicious!

Quote:
I thought that's what all Canadians called the eastern provinces. See, I'm from Toronto *gets garbage thrown at him by the rest of the Canadians*, so it was always just an easier way to lump all of those provinces into one, simple word

Well, you're right ;) It's NB, PEI and NS. Just don't include Newfoundland and Labrador! *throws garbage* Eh, I jest. Anyway, I have a bone to pick with Toronto since they make fun of the way we say "car". We say it like ca-a-a-a-r. It's the only way!

Quote:
OOOMFG, you have to start eating Lobster. Yeah, it's messy as hell, but it's soooooooooo tasty, especially with melted butter. You can get the best in the world no problem out there, so why not? Oh, and they don't scream when you boil them, that's the steam from the water in their shells being boiled leaving their bodies

I think I'm too animal conscious to boil a lobster, haha, even though I'm such a carnivore...I have to admit it smells delicious. Someday...someday...

Quote:
Nuts and grains and berries aren't good for your teeth? Wow, I don't know how to explain that one. If you have sensitive teeth, give the dentist a bit of info and s/he should be able to help you. If not and it's just bad, try brushing before you eat as opposed to after. I started doing that about 3 years ago (when I had super-sensitive teeth) and now they're strong enough to eat anything.

I meant like nuts are too hard to eat with my teeth. And thanks for the tip, I'm a maniac when it comes to brushing.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about the last two comments!

Quote:
Unless you're a belivier in the Atkins' diet potatoes are a no no, being very rich in carbs and all. I can't live without potatoes, loving them myself.

Potatoes have more potassium than a banana! I could never give up my 'taters..

Quote:
I heard about how the percentage of obese people in France is a mere 11% or so, because of the way the French eat. So if you want some help, find out how the French women eat, since they seem to have some secret way of eating as much at they want but still keeping their figure.

I think I will do that! I've also checked out a general asian diet in one of my health food books. It's nice to get an idea of what other cultures are eating to stay healthy. I wonder what the % is in American and Canada.

Quote:
One thing that i heard in a documentary about all these diets, that i believe in, is that there is no one guaranteed diet will work for everyone. And i'm dubious about those programs in which you merely eat right, without doing any exercise. I suggest that you do as Arcana suggested, with some light workouts.

THis should be common knowledge for everyone. Sadly, some people still get frustrated when they randomly select something to base their eating habits on. Le sigh.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For America, still the majority of people are overweight. Last time i heard, the percentage was 66%. But it could also be 75%. Australia certainly is one of the fattest nations, with a percentage similar to America.

If you want to know about Canada:
Quote:
Close to 20 per cent (19.3) of Canadian youths are overweight, higher than that for youths of every country studied except Malta, the United States and England. They are also more likely to be obese (4.1 per cent of those studied) than youth in every country except Malta, the U.S., Wales and Greenland.

Source: http://www.caaws.ca/e/article.cfm?id=336

Of course, this was taken last year, and it's concerning for kids. But i guess it helps give some idea on where Canada stands amongst the world's fattest nations.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:

Incorrect. Atkins diet people avoid starch like you would not believe, and potatoes contain lots of starch and carbs.

Good if you want to gain weight, though.

Ninjar wrote:
Repetition tones muscle whereas heavy weight training makes them bigger.

When you "tone" muscles, you're basically skimming off the excess fat on your body, which gives it that more sculpted look. You could also do a lot of running instead of doing lots of repetitions and still get the sculpted look because you're removing that extra fat off of your body that hides the definition on your body. That's why they suggest that you mix in a good cardio workout with some weight training when you're doing toning.

There are many camps about how to make muscles "bigger" but a lot of budybuilders do tons of reps, whereas others do a few. The best thing to do when lifting is to ensure that you're going through the reps properly.

You won't actually gain muscle mass unless you eat in excess of your daily maintenance level (i.e. you eat more calories than you burn in a day). So just because you start working out doesn't mean that you're suddenly going to become ripped like a bodybuilder. That takes a few months to get to and you can stop way in advance of that :)

But really, someone should re-label every single "diet plan" out there with "diet and exercise plan". Because they're hand-in-hand. It's not just the fuel, but how you burn it. I eat moderately healthy food, but I still like my bacon and my 2% milk and my eggs in the morning, as well as the heavy red meats and stuff. However, I do enough work in a day to keep my body fat low and my weight down. I'm actually looking to gain muscle mass, though, and the diet modifications that I need are quite interesting (and usually involve eating more high-calorie, low-fat foods).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: