Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ratio of males to female in the 108 stars of destiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yea i forgot about Bob. I guess you would consider him black, even if he is a werewolf.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By my count, Hauser and Samus are the only black characters in all of Suikoden. The Karayans are dark skinned, but are naturally blonde, and have a culture more similar to "native" societies, if I may make such a generalized statement. I wouldn't say the Karayans are black.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
malicesoul

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait, doesn't Samus have blond hair?
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No. Blackman is caucasian.. I think. Bob is actually a were-wolf, but his apperance seem more like Jamaican then anything else. Hmmm....there really isn't many black-skinned character present in Suikoden games...and Japanese games in general.

Heh, the increase in the number of females might be a move to appeal to the core demograph that plays suikoden...(Core doesn't mean all of course)...young boys.

Last edited by Rainrir on Fri May 26, 2006 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Karayans are the dark skinned Swedes of the suiko-world. :P
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

malicesoul wrote:

He almost has gray hair. It's a very pale/grayish brown. But would it change anything if his hair were indeed blond? xD The Suikoverse is familiar with the concept of hair dying, hair tinting, highlights, etc.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm..very interesting. I notcied it while playing all the games. You could easily notice that there were more females in the last games.

About the black people... i don't think there will be a country in a future suikoden where many black people live.. And i don't think the japanese guys at konami would make a suikoden which many black people in it or as SoDs..

As for Hauser or other guys that look black..i think they only build them in because there were no black characters in it before..
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

malicesoul wrote:

He's not Karayan. I don't remember where exactly he is from, but I know he's not Karayan.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I just remembered, couldn't Zegai be considered black? I mean, he does have blondish hair if I remember correctlly, but I think he is
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And here was me thinking that 'black' referred to skin colour and not hair. :roll:

Anyone who claims the Karayans aren't black is only deluding themselves.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Anyone who claims the Karayans aren't black is only deluding themselves.

But isn't Lucretia a Karayan? I don't know about you, but she doesn't look black to me, just tanned.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black, in terms of skin colour, covers a wide spectrum that can range from looking well tanned to appearing at first glance to literally being, well, black.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But of course, the people who look tanned, brown, SE-Asian-ish are often not conisdered black like people who are really dark, black, African-ish.

The Karayans are closer to the hule of the South East Asian skin then the African skin IMO.
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

black dosnt have to only do witht he color actually. look at indians. their black but not "black" you know what i mean. I think we can best assume whos black or not if they have fat lipps and a big nose ^^ jk.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rai-Jin wrote:
black dosnt have to only do witht he color actually. look at indians. their black but not "black" you know what i mean. I think we can best assume whos black or not if they have fat lipps and a big nose ^^ jk.

Actually, according to Merriam Webster [I've edited out the unrelevant parts as, well, you can imagine, Black is a fairly long definition wth relatively little related to race or ethnicity; emphesis mine]:

Quote:
2 a : having dark skin, hair, and eyes : SWARTHY <the black Irish> b (1) often capitalized : of or relating to any of various population groups having dark pigmentation of the skin <black Americans> (2) : of or relating to the African-American people or their culture <black literature> <a black college> <black pride> <black studies> (3) : typical or representative of the most readily perceived characteristics of black culture <trying to sound black> <tried to play blacker jazz>

So while it can refer to people of African heritage, it is not by any means exclusive to people of African heritage and yes, it is related to any of a various poplation group having dark pigmentation so yes, you can say the Karayans are black even if they don't have stereotypical African features. There is no Africa or south-east Asia in the Suikoden world so claiming the Karayans can't be called black because they don't look stereotypically African (which is a big enough problem on it's own since not everyone conveniently looks like an ethnic/racial stereotype, not to mention quite offensive) is silly.

The Karayans have dark pigmentation; IMO, they an be identified as black.

If all it takes is a big nose or big lips to be counted as black, then my entire family is black, as are Angelina Jolie and Ian McKellen despite not having dark skin.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: