Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is shun min death far-fetched/laughable to you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the premise of shun min death laughable
yes
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
no
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Is shun min death far-fetched/laughable to you? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok according to someone I was arguing with the whole premise of Shun min death is laughable. He's reasoning was becouse she died for the blue moon bird recipe.

Im just wondering do you feel her death is too far fetched for the suikoden world? And is the Black Dragon clan too unbelievable to exist in suikoden?
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well pretty much the blue moon recipe book was used to make food taste great by cheating and that no hard work was involved. can't really say much since it would involve suikoden 5 info. but pretty much she stole it for a good cause, because i believe she thought that cooking should be for the joy of it and you shouldn't use that recipe book cause it takes the joy out of cooking. i believe that's what most of the chefs at the end when you beat them said, like Gyokuran, Resto and Jinaki.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I can't say much (still I am making a post), because I haven't played Suikoden 5. With the information from Suikoden II only I can't elaborate on this much, because I have no explicite knowledge of the circumstances. Hence I don't want to be a bourgeois, but I emphasise what Buff said and request that this thread will be rather in the Suikoden V section than here, because I don't know if anybody is aware of his writing like Buff is.

The Fool
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, it's not laughable.

The Blue Moon Bird recipe was a very dangerous recipe and if you used it on the right person, a chef could become very influental.

As for the idea of an overly serious group of chefs being absurd. They exist all over the world today, they just don't have their own island.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

o.O holy crap, you mean cooking has a major role in Suikdoen 5?!

I thought it was indeed a bit odd that someone would die for a recipie, but apparantly there really are people out there that value their cooking more than their own life.

Why she didn't simply rip it up to begin with and save Hai Yo the trouble is what confuses me.

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since discussions on this thread will shed some information about Suikoden V, I will move this to its rightful place.

Moved.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no, cooking doesn't have a big role in sV, the characters involved help to fill in some information gaps from sII, where cooking DOES play a big role. it simply fills in some holes (not all, mind you) concerning shun min and retso's earlier years; namely, the pre-dragon clan ones.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A resulting fragment of the "tragic love story" debate, eh?

From what I know, Shun Min died protecting the purity of the world of cooking. Such is what she longed for. Anybody who die chasing for their dreams and idealism are not laughable. Of course, a person's "dreams" and "idealism" may sound absurd to other people, but the death itself? No.

As for the Black Dragon Clan... If "the way of the gourmet" is truly considered as an honorable path of art by the chefs, I can not see why a clan of those obsessed chefs is unbelievable (and people obsessed in something even more trivial than food are abundant in the Suikoden world). It may sound funny but it is serious business, people.

Also, I happen to know a real-life event where a person was truly killed in a dispute over a recipe, so it is not really far-fetched to see it happen in Suikoden (even though in an exaggerated fashion).

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I thought it was indeed a bit odd that someone would die for a recipie, but apparantly there really are people out there that value their cooking more than their own life.

pretty much the way resto seemed to raise her on how cooking should be vauled you can understand why she did what she did.

Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't think it is that unbelievable. If you think about it, all the chefs in suikoden care about is cooking. They live and die to cook food for anyone who will eat it. Knowing this I can imagine shun min's death to protect the greatest recipie. As John Layfield said, they take this stuff seriously.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
MichaelW

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad someone brought this up. I pondered this myself after doing the cooking sidequest. When I played Suikoden 2 and did Hai Yo's quest, I was like "She died protecting a stupid recipe???" I mean, even Barbara was caught up in it and almost died as well.

And I don't think I'll vote. But I will say that I mean the death itself was serious, but the thing she died for was so....I don't know. Silly in a way, but really sad.

It's kinda screwed up. I mean, I was shocked when I saw one of the chefs commit suicide over something trivial as a recipe.

I have a question if anypne is currently playing Suikoden 2. From his dialouge in S2, does Retso seem to be angry at Hai Yo? Was there a reason he cheated the first time?

This is way before he was confirmed for Suikoden 5.

I hope Shun Min can rest peacefully now :( . She was such a sweet girl. Now that I'm done playing Suikoden 5 and seen how Shun Min was in that game, I'm so glad I got the "Hai Yo visits her grave" ending text my first playthrough.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It's kinda screwed up. I mean, I was shocked when I saw one of the chefs commit suicide over something trivial as a recipe.

I have a question if anypne is currently playing Suikoden 2. From his dialouge in S2, does Retso seem to be angry at Hai Yo? Was there a reason he cheated the first time?

more than one chef commited suicide. if i'm correct the reason why i think resto cheated to get the book back is cause resto was the one who first had the book from what was said during the ending credits on 5.

Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The chefs' suicides and Shun Min's death were not silly, but I think most of the cooking subplot was. "I always knew we would cross spatulas?" I laughed out loud. I think the whole Black Dragon Group thing was intended to be absurd. I can see someone dying for a recipe iuf she belived in it enough, but some of the dialgoe in that was just ridiculously funny.

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm.. is this trend necessary? Oh well...

In any case, I personally feel that the premise is kind of....out there. But then again, it can be attributed to my ultra-realist approach to things. I find taking everything too far (be it the path of the Gourment WHATNOT) is kind of laughable and slightly foolish.

Maybe there ARE people who are dedicated to their art, but to the extent of killing somebody? In the real world, we don't call them dedicated...we call them insane. What is Unbelievable is that Jinkai KILLED her because she stole a RECIPE! That is like using a Zweihandler to kill a housefly....

Power of the recipe or not, I seriously doubt that the recipe is something that is that significant...So mystically powerful that it can lead to world domination...It could be (and most likely be) something deliciously delicious...but to say that it has power like a True Rune/<Insert Powerful Object> is like....

Then again, that can be just me....
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
What is Unbelievable is that Jinkai KILLED her because she stole a RECIPE! That is like using a Zweihandler to kill a housefly....

it's not said who killed her. it doesn't say jinkai killed her. but it does say that she was killed by a black dragon clan crony. who ever that was shall remain a mystery until they decide to tell us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: