Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HAs Suiko 5 made me less of a fan? In a Word: No.

Its a Solid game and preety much delivers on Many of of the aspects that made 1-3 Great.

Music: While i would have liked more familar themes the soundtrack was great.

Plot: Fairly in depth and definitly had a few twists.

Gameplay: Played exceptionally well, didnt get boreed at all.

Other: I would have loved to see other charectors from suiko 1-3 but there was a few apperances so im content.

In conclusion the game while great (id say 8.5 out of 10) didnt move me the way suiko 1 2 and 3 did. However It still stands up in its own right.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
redpanda

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only time I would tire from rpgs is if I play too many of them in a short time. It is a good break from adventure, fps, sports, and other games. It has been a while since I've last played a new Suikogame (haven't played III or IV). For the record, my experience with Suikoden V is quite enjoyable. The game is good on its own terms. It has its familiar moments but also adds mostly new things, too. I had as much as fun (give or take) as with I and II. Well, the ones I played were all fun.

Never expected a game to be like the last, or else it becomes all to transparent. It is only natural especially in the Suikoworld. You can't expect Toran to be like Jowston, Grasslands, Zexen, Ocean islands, or Falena. It wouldn't make much sense if each area is like the last. The thing with a game being different doesn't bother me because they inevitably are going to be.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm on my fifth playthrough of Suikoden V... So no. ;)

I think it's magnificent. Whenever I read someone talking against it, for whatever reason, I feel the insatiable need to debate the person until they quiver and implode. It has just about everything that makes the series great. I mean... Yow. It was just so damn good.

Most Suikodens have a 'weak point'. If Suikoden V has one, it's the camera angle, which is not too bad. I've heard some people complain about it, but it's not all that detrimental, really.

High encounter rate? Maybe, but who the hell cares? The dungeons aren't exactly long.

Bad colors? Nah. I think it suits the sun-blasted feel of the storyline. A lot of places look pale, and it reminds me of the power of the Sun Rune. I don't see a problem with it.

Great game. Makes me ultra-anxious for VI. I'll pay $700 for it.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Absolutely not.

Suikoden V reaffirmed my interest after Suikoden IV's failure. Almost all of the game's aspects were done very well. From story to music to gameplay and to graphics, Suikoden V had it all done well. Most of all, Suikoden V gave me a great gaming experience, which for me, is the basis of considering one game great.

Only one minor flaw Suikoden V had was a weak camera system but it didn't bother me at all.

All in all, Suikoden V is a great game. It didn't make me less of a fan at all.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not in a moment. It's actually has made me realize that Konami's really on the ball in regards to their signature rpg franchise. Suikoden IV was so underwhelming that some have called it the worst in the franchise. Following it up with a great follow-up game showed that the company and its developers do listen to its fans and willing to admit, albeit without saying it outloud, that they made a mistake with the previous game and are now going back to what made it fun and great.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. Suikoden V to me bought Konami a second chance. Suikoden IV made me wonder if the franchise was doomed to the mediocre gameplay of the more recent Final Fantasy games, but without the rabid fanbase to support it much longer. Suikoden V showed that they still can craft an interesting story, fun characters, and give people an enjoyable experience. They don't have to worry about me going away any time soon if they continue to provide quality like this.

~Uguu!~
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If anything, Suikoden V has made me even more of a fan of the series. I was really glad that they brought back some of the same political elements that were featured in the first two games plus I enjoyed the hell out of the story.

1041 Potch
5 Soldiers
687 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V has made me more of a fan.

If you're looking for each game to be unique and different, then Suikoden isn't your best pick. I look forward to playing farther into the Suikoden series to see more interesting characters, and watch the plot of the True Runes unfold even farther.

There are MANY unique RPGs we can play in-between each Suikoden release. Put it this way... Suikoden is like that game that I'd rather they don't tweak with, or change. That's for Final Fantasy, not Suikoden.

Suikoden (in my opinion), gets its strength from storyline and characters, not gameplay. Suikoden V has easily made me more of a fan, not less.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After finishing V I must say...

Both IV and V are built on a wrong idea, imho, which is "what is it that makes Suikoden truly Suikoden" - in other words, they desperately tried to recapture the charm of the first episodes by mimick them.

Thus, it's interesting that with the same premise (to be fanservice), the results are so different. S4 was wrong on so many levels, while S5 hits the jackpot almost all the time, resulting just a little rushed near the ending (Sialeeds/Gizel/Marscal: they should've explained their intentions better).

However, the more and more I think to it, S3 still stands out as the best Suikoden - namely, the one when the series seemed to aim towards a direction. Don't get me wrong, I liked S5 very much, but it's all again a reworking of the Shui Hu Zhuan. What I loved in S3 was the ability to go beyond the original premises, though still being centered on classic Suikoden's topic such as changeable Fate.

Besides, if at every Suikoden we change country setting and overthrown a corrupt power - then the beloved continuity will become watered-down, and the series will progressively turn into a FInal Fantasy, where each time a bunch of heroes saves the world with the help of the crystals...

So in the end I'd rank them:

S3 > S1 > S2 > S5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S4
Zachwie

The Guillotine Order

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is no way I would say that V has made me less of a fan of the series. From all the bad comments and opinions about IV, it seems clear the V improved on a lot of those problems.

I would disagree that SV was built on the wrong idea. What makes Suikoden truly Suikoden for me is the 108 stars, obviously, and V played upon the charm of that aspect. There is no way that the idea of that could ever change.

Everyone is going to have their favorite aspects of each game, but there is no way that V made me less of a fan.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I know why you felt like you wanted it to be done with by the end, Himuro. It's because the game lasts longer than you would expect it to. You'd think that by the time you liberate Sol-Falena that the game would be over, but instead there's another whole dungeon to go through, a tough one at that. It's something I've noticed - if you feel like something is going to end, and it doesn't, it makes you get annoyed. Try playing it again, and see if it's any better.

But as for the thread topic question, I'm twice the suikoden fan I was before because of this game.

8949 Potch
19 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It hasnt made me any less of a fan.

In fact it has made me more of a fan through the fact that in a way, it saved the series from the abomination that was Suiko IV. So i know tht if there ever was (i hope not) another game like Suiko IV, they are capable of releasing another decent S game.

I'm also sure that if Suiko IV wasn't released i would have been a lot more critical of V. Because in England it wouldve been the sequal to the legendary Suiko II.

However after coming after the pile of poor it the gives the latest installment of Suiko a shine to it. Comparing 5 to 4 makes 5 seem like the best thing since slice bread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
crushedvelvet

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suiko 5 has definately not made me less of a fan. In fact for sheer character development and personalities, story and enjoyability Suiko 5 probably ranks at the top for me.

I found myself liking more of the characters than ever before, the cities and areas to explore were huge and extremely beautiful and the story was interesting and engrossing throughout.

The camera angle didn't bother me, although I do agree that the zoom wasn't particularly useful. I liked how it would move to a completely vertical position if you were going behind a back street so you could still see where you were going. I had a few minor problems in Doraat when a building obstructed my view and in the Twilight Forest (but everyone knows what I'm talking about there).

I think the only major complaint I have was that I always felt one step ahead of the enemy when I really started to get my army going. Even in the early days when I had only a few hundred troops on my side I don't think there were many problems winning a major battle. I preferred it in 3 when you were three steps behind the antagonists right up to the finishing line and then when you won it felt like more of an acheivement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

crushedvelvet wrote:
I think the only major complaint I have was that I always felt one step ahead of the enemy when I really started to get my army going. Even in the early days when I had only a few hundred troops on my side I don't think there were many problems winning a major battle. I preferred it in 3 when you were three steps behind the antagonists right up to the finishing line and then when you won it felt like more of an acheivement.

I hear that. This is why there was all sorts of comments about Lucretia being too good... In Suikoden 1 you often came into battles you totally didn't plan for and got pwned by armored cavalry or rose attacks. In Suikoden 2 you'd come back to your base and hear "Highland has taken South Window and executed the mayor", like CV says in Suikoden 3 you're constantly behind Luc and Albert's strategies.

Then comes GS5, and even when the Godwins did manage to take some towns you never really felt it like you did in previous games. Lucretia was perhaps too confident and even though you have to even leave your own base at one point, its all part of her plan and just seems too easy.

I'd put the Godwins just behind Kooluk as the second easiest opponent army in the series... but if you look at what happened in the games event-wise, they were the only enemy to take over your base, yet I didn't feel the press of their forces like I did in the earlier games.

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:
crushedvelvet wrote:

I hear that. This is why there was all sorts of comments about Lucretia being too good... In Suikoden 1 you often came into battles you totally didn't plan for and got pwned by armored cavalry or rose attacks. In Suikoden 2 you'd come back to your base and hear "Highland has taken South Window and executed the mayor", like CV says in Suikoden 3 you're constantly behind Luc and Albert's strategies.

Then comes GS5, and even when the Godwins did manage to take some towns you never really felt it like you did in previous games. Lucretia was perhaps too confident and even though you have to even leave your own base at one point, its all part of her plan and just seems too easy.

I'd put the Godwins just behind Kooluk as the second easiest opponent army in the series... but if you look at what happened in the games event-wise, they were the only enemy to take over your base, yet I didn't feel the press of their forces like I did in the earlier games.

SERIES SPOILERS

The Godwins, Kooluk, and also Barbarossa's forces (who were pretty easy to beat most of the time as well) all have something in common. No Silverberg. Both Highland and Harmonia/Luc had Silverbergs on their side. It should come as no surprise that those forces would be much more formiddable foes.

And personally I think the complaints about Lucretia's genius are unwarranted. She never knows/does anything out of the ordinary. She does claim to have hunches and stuff, but these are simply due to her personality. During much of the game, she believes that a good tactition should never act like they didn't anticipate an enemy's move. Later in the game, however, she has changed this ideology and realizes that it's okay to both make and admit mistakes. This is one of the elements that makes Lucretia my favorite strategist of the series, as well as one of my favorite characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: