Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who do you regard as the most tragic character in the series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I know his side story, it's why I said "it must have been traumatizing but..."

I dunno, like I said there are people that suffered through a lot worse than that and still ended up decent people. I mean there are kids who are beat by their parents, and in some cases raped, and still end up as good people (albeit, obviously not perfect socially and whatnot.)

I just don't feel sorry for him. After all that he's done, he's a lot more of a villian than a victim to me. I mean, he slaughtered a whole unit of youth just to continue a war. And when said war was continued he comitted horrible crimes (ala, Diepigdie girl).

Furthermore, didn't it happen at a really young ag, like four? Chances are he doesn't even remeber it fully, as memories tend to fade away, even life-changing ones like that. Not only that, but while traumatizing he had a whole 20 or some odd years to help recover from it, and I'm sure being the king's son the rest of his life was very well. It's not something that he should forget, but still being traumatized by it seems ... unlikely?

I mean, it's not like it was an everyday occurance, it was one terrible, terrible memory. Alot of people have really crappy stuff to them (date rape, best friend's death, almost murdered, witnessed death etc.) and the world's not crazy. I'm not trying to say what hapenned wasn't sad, I'm trying to say that in terms of all the stuff that alot of other people persevere through, his actions aren't excused. Thus, I do not view him as tragic at all. In my opinion, the bastard deserved to die.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why some people consider Luca as the most tragic character either. Maybe it's because he had so much going for him only to descend into madness and mark his name in history as the world's worst villian. About what you said about some people having a crappier life than him I'd agree, but the main point was that these other people recovered but Luca didn't.

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though I'm a huge fan of Luca ..I'm still going to have to go with Tir on this one. He losses almost everything, including his best friend and takes the burden of the Soul Eater. His father thinks of him as a traitor and he losses him as well. Even when everything goes well for him and he ends up defeating Barbossa..he gives it all up to go into seclusion, for the most part, because he knows the Soul Eater will consume those he keeps close to him.

Last edited by Kai Ver' Xion on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Kai Ver´Xion has exposed, I find Tir´s destiny very tragic, but oh, well, considering that recruting 108 stars allow him to keep alive some of his best friends alive, I would have to vote for Peck, yeah, its so sad how he ends.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ted's butt buddy in IV was easily the most tragic character evar
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ferrouslupusrex wrote:
Ted's butt buddy in IV was easily the most tragic character evar

... Aldo?
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say Pohl, so young and he died to valiently, stood up man to man w/ Luca Blight! Man! I want Pohl to be an SOD in a future Suiko game between I and II :D :D :D

I hate you Onimaru.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Barbarossa. He went from having everything to having nothing. That is truly tragic in every sense of the word.
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to go with Jowy on this one. He is constantly mistreated by people with strength and power until eventually his belief system becomes warped. Where loyalty and friendship were once valued, strength, to the exclusion of all else, takes their place. He was once surrounded by his friends and supportive people, but he removed himself from that in a quest for strength, thinking that only military might and the sword arm could bring peace. While his intentions were noble, he abandoned what was originally important to him. He is forced into becoming his former friend's enemy, and the most despised man in not one, but two nations. His quest for power, the very thing he thought would change his destiny and allow him to affect real change, is what brings him down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saxonstorm

20078 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Emperor Barbarosa in Suikoden I and Luc in Suikoden III are equally tragic. I'm still on Suikoden III so I'm not sure about IV and V, but as far as I know both characters die with their lovers. Barbarosa seems to be a nice person but is used by Windy. Luc is so complex, but I think he must have suffered a lot. If I have to really choose one, I'd say Luc.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc for me. I dunno....at the end of 3, I just felt so bad for him.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neither Barbossa or Windy died, I still say Pohl! Or possibly Pillika...family murdered before her eyes, every oppertunity for safety and salvation torn from her, taken by Jowy - forced to be the foster daughter to the woman who'se brother murdered her family and pillaged her village kililng all her friends and the cause of the loss of any security she's ever known. Man, that chicks going to have ALOT of baggage.

I hate you Onimaru.
ronster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am going to say Sialeeds. Though it was her own choice the fact remains that she had to openly betray her family, and name in order to rid the Senate of the Barrow's and Godwins influence in the Senate and help her family at the same time in a way that looked like she was against them.
Creepr

Bow Jester Squadron

8634 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that Kyril (Tactics) has a pretty rough time. At the beginning he gets his father transformed into a monster and killed by his friend. He never gets over it until almost the very end, and throughout the whole game he keeps on seeing people suffer. On top of that he ends up never aging and all alone.
I say he got it prety bad right there. So much trouble, only to go enlessly alone.
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am quite amused seeing as despite how a lot of people think that Luc was a total jackass, a lot still feel that he had the most tragic life. Personally, I feel the same way. His life was tragic in the sense that he was given that he was given visions of a hopeless future but would later be given a glimmer of hope as he saw others able to change their 'fate'. So with this little hope, he conjured a master plan that just might be enough to change the future he had seen through the True Wind Rune.

However, this clearly wasn't enough given the ending of Suikoden III. But the only consolation he had in the end was the fact he died with Sarah. The futility of his ambitions is quite sad for me.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Neither Barbossa or Windy died, I still say Pohl!
You don't have to die in order to be a tragic character. In fact, one might consider it to be more tragic to suffer and yet still live on in misery and desolation. If one suffers and dies, then all their suffering is over and done. But if you suffer and live, than your suffering never ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: