Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who do you regard as the most tragic character in the series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At least Sierra got to meet Nash, who is every woman's from the Suikoden universe dream, In my opinion of course (Chris is just playing hard to get). And the possibility of her marrying that sexy blond is quite high... man, I envy her xD
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do think it's difficult to judge though which character is "more tragic" as each person mentioned has suffered in their own way.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with whoever said that Peck was the most tragic person. Though, Yun comes in for a close second for me. I always loved Yun, and then...yeah....
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would give my vote to Clive. He is forced to chase his childhood friend and kill her all because of reasons he did not understand or did not know. A strong case can be made for Elza, as Sophita said, concerning the same set of circumstances. Anyone involved in the Howling voice guild seems to have a tragic story associated with them. Just look at what they must survive in order to complete the training.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
SuikoGator

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some people might call me crazy for this, but I think the most tragic character in the series is... Windy

Before you get outraged, let me explain. Her village was destroyed and she was one of two survivors. People cope with tragedy different ways, and it just happens that it was more than she could bear. The way she delt with it made her into an evil person seeking revenge on the world. Because of her loss, she caused so much more loss than neccesary, both for herself, and for thousands of others in the process. I despised her, but a little part of me always felt sorry for her at the same time.
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I'll go with Sierra. She finally makes something good out of a bad situation and then Neclord has to be a dick and come into the picture.

We're so bad and mean
We make nightmares out of dreams
We're the Spaceballs!

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a certain character from a game that is not to be discussed in this forum has the most tragic story, actually...otherwise, I believe that I'll go with Luc. He's definitely, as Axiose said, emo-tragic...but it's a sad story really. He was born only for the purpose of bearing the True Wind Rune, and then he was taken by Leknaat, and used as nothing but a tool for his entire life. Leknaat forced him to fight alongside by Tir McDohl's Toran Liberation Army and also Riou's Dunan Unification Army. Meanwhile, it seems to me, the curse of bearing a True Rune was slowly eating away at him...when he discovered that he was only a clone, and that he had no purpose but to bear a True Rune for Hikusaak, he finally snapped.

I mean, ouch, that's a pretty rough life. Although at least he's with Sarah at the very end. I imagine that's probably what he would have wanted.

Sierra's story is very sad too..though at least, in the end, she was able to join up with Viktor and Kahn Marley to put an end to Neclord. Seeing Neclord die made me pretty happy, so I can't imagine how it would have made Sierra feel.

It's also a fair point about the various members of the Howling Voice Guild, and even Nash Latkje. They all have some pretty bad things happen to them...Clive and Elza, childhood friends forced into a deadly chase...and of course, all of Nash's dealings with the Guild seem to turn out much for the worse in the Suikogaiden titles.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Etenralmaiden

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This might sound weird but I was Lazlo is very tragic: The loss at sea, Queen Obel (sob)'s fate, the rune of punishment, being mute (yeah I know he's not, but admit him not being very talkative reinforces the idea of seclusion and loneliness) and I think spending the rest of his days immortal and alone mightn't be what you could call a happy end...
Valec

Maniacs with Hammers

1947 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be Luca Blight for me... He went insane out of hatred of his father for abandoning him and his mother. He went for years without vengeance and it drove him to kill off the state citizens as he couldn't get to Agares and they were the ones who attacked. Agares deserved what he got.
Malandros Nyclo

The Majestic Lycanthropes

132683 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm saying tis a tie between Sierra, Jowy, Barbarossa, Luc, and Clive. However, that only becaseu who Is someone I can't mention in the Forum.

I really felt bad for Barbarossa... He and Clive ar a little ahead of the others in that list.
we are one and the same.

NAK Panache Month
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe its just me, but I've always found the most tragic characters to be the ones who die after an "unfinished life," so to speak. There is a certain element of tragedy to people like Luc, Sierra, and Jowy (depending on the ending), but in the end Luc was fortunate enough to die with the woman he loved, Sierra achieved her goal (and possibly married Nash), and Jowy got what he always wanted--a strong, unified nation.

I've always thought one of the truly tragic characters in Suikoden was Mathiu. Mathiu is a character who spent the last few years of his life doing what he hated, and subsequently died doing it. I can't imagine what it would be like doing something that you so despise, but that you know is needed. He just came off as an unhappy character, which to me made his death all the more sad and upsetting.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of the characters listed here aren't really "tragic" characters. Yeah, their stories are sad, but that alone doesn't make it tragic.

A tragedy is a type of drama in which a character who is pretty well off has some sort of downfall brought about by his/her own actions or an inherent flaw in their personality.

I think Barbarosa Rugner is a tragic character in this sense.

The death of his wife put him in some sort of depression in which he ignored the dealings of his own nation and let it become corrupted by officials working below him. And his love for Claudia (?) blinded his judgment when he put Windy in a position of power. He was a flawed character who brought ruin to his country = tragic.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Cyrus the virus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definately you-know-who-whom-we-cannot-mention-here.

But besides that, Ted. I mean, wow... His life's been pretty bad.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, using Nut's posted definition of a tragic character, I think Barbarossa has to be one of the more tragic characters in the series.

As for other characters who had rather sad endings to their stories are Clive, Elza, Peck(as many have mentioned before) and of course Sierra. I would also say Lulu from Suikoden III is pretty tragic, though his early death doesn't let people get too attached to him, I guess.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think, in my opinion, Luc the most tragic character in the series.

His life story was very moving. He actually had a good reason of why he did what he did in Suikoden III. In the Toran Liberation war and the Dunan Unification wars, he saw the possibility of humanity being capable of changing fate. He was inspired by the works of Tir McDohl and Riou to be able to turn the wheel of fate.

By what he saw through the vision given to him by the True Wind Rune, he saw a bad future for humanity. The world was turned into nothing but gray visions. He did not want humanity to end this way. By what he experienced through the two wars he has been on, he believes he can change this fate. He believes that what he thinks is right. It's just that he wasn't given the chance to explain his true reason. He was just viewed as a murderer wanting to destroy the world.

But maybe, just maybe, Luc was in the right afterall. Maybe the Fire Bringer was wrong. What if the vision given to him by the True Wind Rune was really the future for humanity? Does it not tell us that Luc was supposed to save humanity from this misery? It's just sad. He just wasn't given a chance, not even in his death.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: