Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sarah and the Gate Rune
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Sarah and the Gate Rune Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havn't, as of yet, been able to play the 6th POV as my PS2 is plaing up a bit.

*But I understand that Sarah has a Flowing Rune on her forehead that you cannot remove?

*She has a S skill rating for Pale Gate Magic?

*And she uses Pale Gate Spells (notably the 4th level spell in the final battle with her at the ceremonial site and early in chapter 4 when the FC has to stop her summoning beasts)

I know there are rumours and theories claiming her to be a reincarnation of Windy. But I just wondered if there has been any official word on why she doesn't have a Pale Gate rune on her at all?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sarah can conjure ancient undocumented magic without the use of runes and she was born with her flowing rune. If I remember correctly, she also uses a rage rune sometimes in battle. I don't remember whether she actually had one attached or not, its been a while since I played Suikoden 3. Regardless, it is clear that she has magical abilities beyond that of any normal mage. I think thats why she can use Pale Gate magic without actually having the rune attached.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're right, Wiseman, which would explain why Luc is using her to begin with. The love obviously came later though.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know Sarah loved Luc, but I don't think Luc felt the same way towards her. But that's up for another discussion in another thread.

I always assumed it was her innate powers of summoning and sorcery that allowed her to use magic when she never had runes. But it just seemed a little silly to me that the rune symbol itself would shine above her head if she didn't have the rune to begin with. Ah well.

Edit: Oh and Sarah does have a Rage rune attatched to her. So really the only anomaly is the Pale Gate Rune.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then, can someone explain how in the world that someone in Suikoden world can use magic without having the rune attached? The thing that her power is great is a weak explanation, can there be more specific answer? I'm curious about that since there isn't any magic/special skill that can be used without runes, even the great mages Crowley and Magus had to carved the rune in their body.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's because she's supposedly Sindarian. We haven't seen another one in the series (that may change in IV, I dunno) and I think that may be why Sarah is a mage beyond Crowley or Magus, the best we've seen so far. Or perhaps Sarah is more of a sorceress and Mazus, Crowley, etc. are all wizards. *shrug*

According to the Shinshos, Sarah was born with her flowing rune in a small village , and was detested for being a witch. One day a Harmonian priest came by and decided to use her powers, so he took her to a shrine. Luc heard about Sarah from Leknaat, and the fact that Leknaatw and Sarah had the same nickname (?....Witch, I'm guessing), he decided to go see her. Luc met Sarah (when she was still a kid), and, seeing that she was raised in the same situation as he was before he met Leknaat, he took pity on her and decided to take her with him back to Magician's Isle/Tower. So it was more pity, then probably her usefulness that made him think to take her with him.

I think he loved her as much as someone like Luc (who really is blind to any emotions other than his own) could love her. He obviously shows concern/care for herin the game, more so than he does for Yuber or Albert (who are both equally important, IMO, so I don't think he's just "protecting the goods" there. (The fact their souls seem to be spending eternity together tends to make me think they're in a wee bit of a relationship of some sort as well. ;))

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schala wrote:
Then, can someone explain how in the world that someone in Suikoden world can use magic without having the rune attached?.

Scrolls

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crowly had 100 runes within him. She could just have these runes but they werent listed. Yuber's rune thats listed isnt the true rune he possess yet he does has one.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene wrote:
Crowly had 100 runes within him. She could just have these runes but they werent listed. Yuber's rune thats listed isnt the true rune he possess yet he does has one.

Oi, Crowley is a "he". Or was it a typo?
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Umm how can one confuse crowly's gender. I know suiko is famous but that crowly? He even refers to himself as "he" (third person)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

According to the Shinshos, Sarah was born with her flowing rune in a small village , and was detested for being a witch.

Hence the Flowing Rune is irremovable. Plus, the Pale Gate Magic was probably more plotwise than battlewise.

[quote ="Sophitia"]I think it's because she's supposedly Sindarian.[/quote]

I never thought of that. It has high plausibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whats more weird is, she is born able to read Sindarian without learning it. She can also feels the presence of Sindar Ruins and True Rune bearers.

With all these great settings and mysterious backgrounds, I cant believe Konami just killed her off without explaining them. -.- More loose ends?

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sarah is too old to be a reincarnation of Windy. Sarah is in her early twenties. The fall of the Scarlet Moon Empire was approximately eighteen years before the second fire bringer war. Sara would have already been born before Windy fell from the Castle keep at Gregminister.

Plus, it is not known whether or not Windy actually died at the time of the fall of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Her body has never been found.

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Sarah is supposed to be 18.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: