Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

War Against Error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: War Against Error Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my never-ending quest to find ways to make this site faster, I decided to tackle the issue of errors. There are many scripts at suikox that produce minor errors which probably confuse computers and stop them in their tracks for a moment before they decide to continue. Checking the error logs, it seems like this can be a cause of slowness to an extent. This, I will be focusing my attention on fixing scripts to eliminate errors with extreme prejudice.

This also means I will be doing less of other stuff, meaning phase 10 may start later than expected. Meanwhile, please sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery or continue bashing your head in the wall, whichever your pleasure may be.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does this mean we should no longer post new errors, say the current one where the page fails to come up, and you have to relog in. It likes to mark all posts as read for you.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's caused by your browser's setting, typically seen with IE and AOL's default setting, or when you have extra powerful firewalls. Nothing I can do to eliminate that unless you don't mind me hacking into your computer and nuke your antivirus program (of course, I don't have the capability to do that).
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Witty title.

What is it exactly that makes this site so much different from any other forums site that you have to use such a slow server?

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow,"Best Title EVER"....

It's getting a little better I think, I only get the 500 error every hour or so..

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Witty title.

What is it exactly that makes this site so much different from any other forums site that you have to use such a slow server?

What makes it different is the number of queries this site launches. I also assume there's many problems with how I updated this forum. This forum is currently phpBB v 2.0.20, but when this forum started it was v 2.0.6, which means I updated the entire thing 14 times since the original. There's bound to be some errors (although I try to correct them when I find them).

However, the largest reason for the slowness is that this site is competing with more than 100 other sites that exist on the same server, who likely have their own SQL queries to launch to the database server. This is why during certain times of the day the site loads pretty fast and without any 500 server errors. 500 server errors happen when there's too many queries being launched that the link between the two servers can't handle it.

It's like a bridge that spans an immense, bottomless gorge between two islands. Every time you load a page, its like a car that drives over the bridge to send some information (data packets) to the database server. In response, another car gets sent over the bridge with a reply.

When manu queries are launched at the same time from suikox and other sites on the server, the "bridge" gets rather congested, leading to a traffic jam. In some cases, some cars will plunge off the bridge into the abyss (leading to 500 errors -- the query times out).

What I am doing right now is to reduce the "number of cars" and to make more data "carpool" together so that less queries need to be sent at the same time. Some of the earlier scripts I wrote had about 20 separate queries for something that should only need one. Consolidating those should have had some effect, but I am afraid the server is getting more crowded.

The other reason is that I don't want to shell out any more cash to run this site beyond what I pay currently. Most other hosts will be unable to handle suikox, and will likely shut us down without warning. The current hosts allows suikox to exist although we have to live with the slowness. Other large sites, such as Suikosource has servers run by people who are personal friends of the administrator; thus they have better environments.

So, if anybody is willing to cut us a good deal with a nearly dedicated server or something, that'd be cool.

However, meanwhile, I'll just continue my war on error.
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a good thing. I have been having issues signing in on the first try. I automatically sign in and it is really slow then just shows Page can't be displayed or watever. Then I have to go ahead and go to the site again and sign in.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the war on error has been rather successful. I seem to have been able to erradicate about 95% of errors so far.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definetly noticable, the pages load alot faster for me now.
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^yup mine too. as compared to when i first joined the suikox forums.

and since im already in this thread and that you, sars, is here, i might as well tell you this:

i dont know if this is an error or something but as i was trying to convert some potch to soldiers something happened that somehow lead me to doing it again (if i remember correctly, i clicked "convert" once then it seems like it didnt had any effect then i entered it again and i saw that ive gotten twice of what i originally planned to have) just wanna know if this is because of the slow server or if it was an error. just wanna notify you though. :wink:
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1137266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has happened to me before, but what generally happens with conversion is the change isn't reflected until you refresh the page.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I fixed the "convert" problem, because to me it made no sense how it can happen. Now changes will be reflected immediately. Apparently, the exchange script contained an error which casued this. So again the War on Error has produced good results.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm definitely noticing a difference. When I come on here, I used to have two internet programs running at the same time, so while Suikox loads another page, I'd do something else on the other program.

At the moment, when I load a page, it loads before I get a chance to do anything in the other program. It's much better now!

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I fixed what appeared to be a source of potentially a major cause of slowness last night. I can't be sure if that was it until 24 hours pass after I made the fix.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow Sars, With such good results on the War against Error you should try to get hired in the white house (God knows they need help with thier Wars on non-nations).

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Technical issues Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: