Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most realistic Strategy Battle System?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Most realistic Strategy Battle System? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which of the Strategy battle system (ie the large scale battles) do you think is the most realistic so far?

I've only played up to 3, as I've mentioned, and from what I've seen so far, things arent looking too good. Suikoden 1 took into consideration troop numbers and the ability of generals, but there was no element of positioning or stratefy - it was just a game of Jyanken (Rock Paper Scissors.)

Suikoden 2 took into consideration the strength of generals and troop positions, but that's it. A HUGE part of a battle is troop numbers. I have yet to read about a war where either half, all, or none of the unit was wiped out in one charge.

Suikoden 3 was inventive, but again it took too little into consideration the numerical advantages on your own team. You DO have soldiers other than your generals fighting, unless every unnamed soldier in the castle is just guarding... which now that I think about it is most likely the case.

I don't know if it got better in Suikoden 4 or 5, what are those strategy systems like?

Anyway, the most realistic one so far IMO is Suikoden 3. There were times when unnamed soldiers would indeed fight, and they definately did show Harmonia's numerical advantage well. I still would like to see some more realism without sacrificing the creativity of the battle system I have seen so far. And maybe more control over the tactics and strategies that your Tenkis always hide from you... though that is a good idea to trust nobody but yourself to carry out a plan, I still would like some say in it myself.

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The most realistic IMO would definitely be V's system. I won't count IV's because it is ship battles instead of troops (and uses rune cannons instead of weapons like in V; so it's pretty incomparable).

The real-time element made it like a real war, and less like a game of chess. All troops on the field were moving at the same time. Otherwise, it's like II's taking into account troop numbers (it's near impossible to kill in one hit though) and having generals leading a bunch of generic troops. I really liked V's system, and it's my favorite in the series, mostly due to its realism.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, Suikoden V system was fare more realestic than in the previous Suikoden's. Playing out in Real Time kinda put pressure on you to make quicker decisions during battle.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

like the other two, suikoden 5 by far had the most realistic battle system. it was like a ancient battle. 8-)

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Erm, let's keep in mind that the rules are still in place that NO Suikoden V information is to be talked about outside of the Suikoden V forum. If you want to discuss the major battles in Suikoden V, do it in the correct forum.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, no exceptions, even when I asked about it in the first post? Or are you just warning them not to get too specific?

But beh, I hate RTSes... though they are realistic, I can't think of a brilliant strategy that fast.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No exceptions. If you want to ask about the strategy system across all the games including Suikoden V, you should ask in the Suikoden V forum.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^hey isnt it already what, a month after suiko v's release? maybe we can change that rule now eh?

as for the war battles (except suiko v), suiko 2's wars are by far the best of the 4 suiko games for me. 3 can be credited for using the skills and techniques learned by the characters usable in the war battles because it added depth but the removal of suiko 2's map system in the wars (for me) somehow took the strategic movements of my troops because of limited areas.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or you could request for the thread to be moved to the Suikoden V forums, and discussion could proceed normally from there, since the information would then be fair game to be discussed. That having been said, the most realistic large army combat system, not counting the not-to-be-discussed-Suikoden-V is actually Suikoden I. In Suikoden II, the lack of troop numbers is a huge detriment to realism, and though I think there's marginally more strategy to the major battles in II as opposed to I, it's still basically a one or two hit kill or zero damage whatsoever on any unit on the battlefield. The zero damage part happens depressingly often, especially when the enemy troops become unrealistically more powerful than yours in every single battle.

In Suikoden I, paper, scissors, rock or not, you're talking about a drawn out skirmish between large armies. You can't one-hit kill them, and each of your 'teams' of generals is presumably fighting a smaller battle within the context of the overall major battle. The pacing of it is all wrong of course, but there's only so much to be expected, especially out of the first title in the series.

By far the least realistic battle system in any Suikoden game is the one in Suikoden III. There's not really a consideration of troop numbers, and the entire battle is fought by your named generals. Granted, the major battles are a smaller part of Suikoden III than the others, given the nature of the conflict, but it's still pretty much just a series of confrontations between six random enemy goons (and possibly Yuber, who was infuriatingly overwhelming) and if you were lucky, three of your SoDs or pathetically weak Grasslands clan peons. Meh. I wasn't a fan of those anyway, with their point-by-point maneuvers that were a very weak compromise for taking into account actual positions of troops and generals, by forcing a specific route instead of encouraging innovation. I'm not a fan. But that's me.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax, though you do make a good point with Suikoden 1... I disagree with Suikoden 3. There are certain locations in a battlefield which are utterly foolish to move your troops to, and an even strategically SANE location can be hard to come by. Though your point for the first one was actually strong enough to change my mind (I didnt think of it as smaller battles and troop generals being occupied with each other), I just wanted to point this out.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
^hey isnt it already what, a month after suiko v's release? maybe we can change that rule now eh?

Erm, no. Remember there is still the big wide world out there that havn't recieved the game's fine release yet. Let's wait for the rest of us to get a chance to play it first eh?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: