Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III manga volume 11 out in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I myself have read up to volume 9. I got into them a lot a few months back and thought they were great. The plot, in my opinion, is far better in the manga than it is in the game. I highly recommend reading it if you can because it is well worth it. I'm still waiting for Volume 10 to come out in North America so it kind of makes me mad that Volume 11 is already out in Japan and I can't even get my hands on volume 10 :(
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to ask whether this Manga volume is about the story of SIII or whether it contains stories connected to the SIII events.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if any of the other volumes are anything to go by, it'd be about the events of Suikoden III.

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, and does follow the events of Suikoden III in a strict way or can it be considered as an extended version?
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I, myself, never played Suikoden III, and am only reading the manga now, but from other people, I hear that the manga's plot is different somewhat.

Some major characters get smaller roles, and other little subtleties, but most consider the plot is more realised in the manga than in the game itself.

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, these Manga novels are very interesting. Perhaps when are novels are released I will try to import them all together from the States.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the manga follows the storyline of the Suikoden III game to an extent but it also has some twists and turns in it. Its generally the same storyline but it is redone and in many peoples opinions, including my own, the plot is much better. You also get to see more into some characters personalities and even what some characters were doing in parts of the game where you couldn't see them (if that makes any sense) For example you get to see some more of Jimba and what he is up to during the time he leaves the Karaya Clan and the Great Hallow. Another plus to the manga is that it makes characters like chris have more emotion. You can actually tell that chris is troubled by the fact that she is regarded as a hero.
Dura Sinai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The manga is certainly a very different telling and in some ways it is better and some it is worse. It is much more compact with select characters really taking the spotlight and others being put in the background. Many who had at least some importance to the story are reduced to primarily cameo roles. It make sense since a manga has to be more condensed than a 40 hour plus game.

Geddoe's team has its moments but each individuals' role is a tad reduced. In exchange you get more of Duke's team and the interaction.

For the Knights, it is really Chris and Salome with a smattering of Borus. Actually, Salome is done so well in the manga with the coup d'etat on the zexen council. Actually in the manga he is hands down the best strategist on any side.

Nash's explanation for his involvement is better. Lets face it, he is a cool character but his reason for being in the game is a bit halfassed.

Harmonia's involvement is a weak part in the game's story since you get so little about their involvement. It is one of the most major detractions but it works wonderfully and much like Salome, Dios gets extra development and goodness forbid is likable.

Luc's ambition is handled a little more unbalanced as later volumes, pretty much from about 7 or 8 on seems rushed a bit. However the idea of the will of the true runes is handled much better with Hugo in volume 10, which has not been released in the US yet.

Thomas gets a few really really nice scenes. But he was also handled pretty well in the game.

Both hold their own but are certainly pretty different beasts at a few points
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, I've only got volumes 1-4 sitting on my shelf. I'm not much for manga, but I did really enjoy these books. I'm probably going to ask for a few more volumes for my upcoming birthday, since everyone seems to assert that the quality is consistent. I'll admit, too, that while I was exceedingly fond of the game's story, the actual storytelling was usually pretty clumsy. The Trinity Sight thing was cool and all, but it seemed to me that it really bogged down the narrative. In contrast, the manga's plot was all-around tightened up, from what I've seen, and proceeds at a much more agreeable pace.

Although, I'll say something against what everyone else has said so far and say that my perception of Chris was quite injured by the manga. In the game I thought of her as a dignified, introspective, courageous kind of person, but in the manga she really went to town with those Daddy Issues. Maybe her resolve improves in the issues I've yet to read, but she seemed really whiny in what I've read so far. Maybe I'm just being critical, but sheesh! She was hard in the game, what's with all this crying?

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats exactly what I thought when I read the manga. I was like "What? Chris is crying?!" but it didn't really lesen my vision of her. Actually, it had the opposite effect, in my mind it made Chris seem more human, and to me that is a good thing. While she is still quite a hard person it is good to know that she can be human and show emotion as well. I thought the manga did a very nice job with Chris and her background.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chris' encounter with her dad was pretty well done, but I dunno, I just wasn't feeling the stuff in the beginning. Guess I was having a time with separating her game personality from the manga.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

are the manga any good? i might have to get them
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nocturne1337 wrote:
are the manga any good? i might have to get them

From what I read, yes, they are. Well worth getting.

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The manga IMO, is a lot better then the actual game's story.
I actually didn't like Chris very much, and I felt so bored playing with her. The manga seems to portray her differently, and even makes her look more fun. The game I felt portrayed her to be too straight(lack of a better word). Where she would only go by the code of the knight, and push aside any signs of showing emotions. The most she ever did was get angry, and never really seemed to be fun. The manga however, shows Chris dancing, smiling, laughing, and even crying. So I would prefer this Chris over the game one.
Hugo seems to develope better as well, since he actually thinks about what Thomas' says to him, as well as thinking of what it means to be the FC.
Thomas getting the castle seems more believable to me in this one.

Not to knock down S3 or anything, but if I did have a choice in which story I preferred, I would choose the manga.

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel the same way, I would much prefer the Suikoden III manga storyline over that of the Suikoden III Game storyline. That is not to say that the Suikoden III game storyline isn't good, actually I rather enjoyed it and regarded it as one of my favorite Suikodens, beyong that of Suikoden I as a matter of fact. When I read the manga it just heightened my impression of the game to be honest with you. Sure the manga may be more condensed, but if you put the manga together with the game and add them as one, you get a great story with an over abundant amount of character insight. This, at least to me, boosts Suikoden III up to the the most elite of the Suikoden games. While I am still unsure if this is the best Suikoden game (lets face it, with games like Suikoden I and II its hard to tell) it is definately one of the top two on my list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: