Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What I've done for the community!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: What I've done for the community! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 2 nephews. The oldest is 6, the youngest is 3. My older nephew idolizes me and always wants to see what his uncle is doing when he visits (about once or twice a month.)

I started playing Suikoden from the beginning about a year ago. I decided that when he was over, it was okay for him to watch me play Suikoden 1, and it would help him read since I would be reading the text to him as well. He already developed a huge liking for the first game, as well as the cup minigame within it (the matching game is hard for me even >.<) He essentially has seen all the major points to Suikoden 1, and was hanging on the edge of his seat during the final battle.

Suikoden 2 I couldn't show him much of... but he was able to play the rope-climbing game on his own, and that game is like half-challenging, so he can win 90% of the time - perfect for someone his age, so that he doesnt get a big head but still it boosts his confidence and doesnt frustrate him.

Suikoden 3 I just recently got, but he is hooked to the horse racing game. That's all the games I've gotten. So I've already destined him to become a Suikoden fanboy when he grows up. T_T I'm so proud of him~!

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Show him Suikoden IV RIGHT NOW, he is too young to know what's good from well... not that good, so that way we'll have a diehard Suikoden fan on the way! xD

I never had an apprentice regarding videogaming, pretty much because I keep it a secret and practicaly no one knows I play rpg's (or know what they are for that matter)

The only games I play in public are the Winning eleven series and that kind of thing. I once played Street Fighter 3, but started doing worse a few minutes after squashing my rival because everyone was looking at me like some kind of freak.

But well done man, and keep those darn double F games away from him, we want a "Pure breed suikoden fan" xDD
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, it's always nice to hear that the youth of today is being molded into the mindless zombies we need to support the Suikoden franchise of the future. That way, even when I'm in my thirties, I can continue to play Suikoden games, and I won't be the only one left on earth who still buys them. I imagine they'd stop making them well before it got to that point, but that's essentially a side issue. I'm unlikely to ever have a protege of that nature, since I have no siblings. My nonexistent siblings cannot have children, and I have absolutely no desire whatsoever for children of my own.

This, somewhat unfortunately, leaves me no impressionable young minds to mold. I also can't take the opportunity to abuse my station as a role model and steer young people towards my own interests. After typing this, I'm starting to feel like I'm really missing out on something here, so long as I don't have to see the impressionable youngster more than a few hours a week...there's a reason I don't want kids of my own, after all.

Most importantly, though, I'll bet it was rewarding to be able to share Suikoden with someone who was that interested with what was going on, though. I don't get that into these games, and I've been a fan for something like ten years now. Suikoden V was wonderful and all, but it far from had me on the edge of my seat. I'm sure my friends who have been forced to listen to me prattle on about how great it is have different views on my level of obsession, but that, too, is a side issue at this point.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch, Send me funds for the project! FOR THE FUTURE OF SUIKODEN, PAY ME!!! >.>;;

I will be getting Suikoden 4 soon enough. I JUST bought the expansion for FFXI AND suikoden 3, so even if I did have the money for another game, my parents would accuse me of buying too many games while I should be saving up for "college" (which is in 4 months, but meh.) There's pirates and whatnot in that game, right? Kids love pirates! Even if he was exposed to it later on, it is possible for people to like Suikoden 4. My best friend is a case in point (She started on Suikoden 4 and kept buying the games after that, because she didnt find Sui 4 all that bad.)

Parallax, You're REALLY making me feel blessed. The other part of this I forgot to mention is my younger nephew, like most younger brothers, idolizes my older nephew. So by a domino effect, I got 2 recruits! Bwahahahaha!

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would seem you only have 105 to go.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ninjar wrote:

Wait a second, he gets to be the Tenkai? tsk... this sucks. Well, he is doing the recruiting after all.

Dude, I would pay but do you know how underwaged is the labor of a drunken pirate nowadays? they only call me for Kid's parties and the ocassional male striping act "a la village people" for middle aged women.

But anyway, on my way to the dentist today I passed by a videogame store and the clerk was playing Suikoden V! I almost cried out of happiness ;__;

I'll see if he can be recruited next time I pass by (I was in quite a hurry so I couldn't go and talk to him)

PS: "The 105 stars to go" was a masterpiece Sir Ninjar, I salute you.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
Ninjar wrote:

Wait a second, he gets to be the Tenkai? tsk... this sucks. Well, he is doing the recruiting after all.

Dude, I would pay but do you know how underwaged is the labor of a drunken pirate nowadays? they only call me for Kid's parties and the ocassional male striping act "a la village people" for middle aged women.

But anyway, on my way to the dentist today I passed by a videogame store and the clerk was playing Suikoden V! I almost cried out of happiness ;__;

I'll see if he can be recruited next time I pass by (I was in quite a hurry so I couldn't go and talk to him)

PS: "The 105 stars to go" was a masterpiece Sir Ninjar, I salute you.

One does one's best. I will say that I am recruitable, for a price. A rather large one at that. Skills such as mine will prove to be invaluable to my cause if I were so inclined through monetary donations.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081738 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha let's all decide which stars we are, this will be fun.

mmm I turned one friend onto Suikoden II, but it took him forever to beat it and without all 108. He bought Suikoden III and beat it with all 108. He couldn't beat Suikoden IV and was missing every star I used in the final battles so I couldn't help him. Don't know if he has Suikoden V I haven't seen him since Feburary or something.

A friend of my brother I also sort of led him on to the game, I loaned him my Suikoden III, while he loaned me Tales of Symphonia. I also let him read my Suikoden III manga.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yay. [chant] one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us [/chant]

Soon Suikoden will dominate the world!

I have been trying to recruit friends, but it is not going so well, they are all 'need for speed' junkies or Gamecube fanboys...

P.S Did anyone else think that this a Layfield started topic before they clicked on it?
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You fortunate people... All my friends are either on the football thing and seem to expect every game that need to be read (and by that I mean more than only "Beckham is injured" or stuff) as highly suspicious as if it would want to take over their brains... Okay, it's true, but that's no reason not to play Suikoden.
The other half hasn't any relationship with any game whatsoever shape.
If I start with: "You know the game I am playing? It's... What? Why are you looking at me this way? strait jacket!"

You see, it's not easy to convince people in playing the best games ever produced. Another issue is that the youth in my country lost the faith in the great values which are told in the Suikoden games... Trying to decapitate their enemy seems to be more interesting than allying with characters... What happened?

The Fool
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I'm not a Tenkai. That would be Lancet Jades and Zelphiel at evermoreforums.com as they were the ones who turned ME on to the games. I'd be like Chris or Hugo, they weren't Tenkais and they were able to recruit people...

Although... they would definately be the Chitan and Chikaku stars... hmm...

Wonder if I get a true rune...?

:)

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The Rune of Recruitment. :P

Everytime I try to get someone to like Suikoden, it all falls on deaf ears. When I ask them if they like RPGs, they just laugh and say, "Of course I do! I could use one to destroy a tank!"

I have given up trying to convert people now. Perhaps I'll be able to indoctronate young'uns in the future!

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vertius wrote:
Quote:

The Rune of Recruitment. :P

Everytime I try to get someone to like Suikoden, it all falls on deaf ears. When I ask them if they like RPGs, they just laugh and say, "Of course I do! I could use one to destroy a tank!"

I have given up trying to convert people now. Perhaps I'll be able to indoctronate young'uns in the future!

It sounds like you all are just going after the wrong crowd. A FPS addict is not one to talk to about RPGs.
We need to keep our membership to this society secret too! (for no reason other than to make us feel all secretive and special and important >.>;;)

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh. I have tried the conversion of some of my friends. I let one try Suikoden I and he played it and then got Oblivion and then stopped. The other I gave Suikoden III too, and he loved it. He doesn't want to play any others, though. Fortunately, I did get one successful recruit, who has played all of the ones above III.

You could recruit me, but you'd have to give me a working copy of Suikoden II for me to offer you my services. I'm a support character, by the way. Level C healing, level D cooking, A on finding potch, and B on tutor. :wink:
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've made a few people into Suikoden fans but it's not a very nice process to watch. I basically force them to play the game and stand over their shoulder demanding they not skip through text "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME OR NOT?!" and basically go beserk everytime they make a mistake "Right. Game screwed, restart it.".
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: