Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Just a thought, whats yours?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
In cultures where alcohol isn't so taboo and even children drink alcohol there are actually less problems with alcoholism, etc. You see, the problem with a lot of western countries though is that people drink to get drunk and that is seen as the only purpose for alcohol. If it wasn't as taboo then moderation would be more the thing to do, you can see it with anything that is "taboo", sex, drugs and alcohol, teenagers get into it just because they feel they've been missing out on something by being kids. If kids were raised with alcohol as part of their lives (not spirits or anything, but rather Chu Hai, cocktails mixed with soft drinks, beer, diluted wine, etc, stuff that is only about 2% or so) there would be some desire for people to try stronger stuff once they hit their teens, but for most people, they would soon get over that, especially with even stronger alcohol awareness education in schools, etc.

You raise a good point. A guy I used to like, until I got to know him better, just entered college this year - just like me, except different schools in different parts of the state. His parents pretty much didn't want him to drink, told him he couldn't (not shouldn't; COULDN'T) do drugs, and shouldn't have sex at his age. So I was catching up with him the other day VIA Aim. Well, he's already gotten a warning from the school for underaged drinking. He's also dying to try pot because "all the other guys that play guitar do it!!!11!!" And he's obsessed with sex ;P Though whether or not he'll actually have sex any time soon is the question.

I was told I could drink but in moderation. I was never told "You can't drink, period!" I wanted to know how some of the alcohol my parents had at home and asked if I could try. Sure, they let me try it and I didn't like it. Drugs I just think are stupid to do. A few older acquaintances of mine had a lot of problems in the past with drugs and just the people (teens) I see around me that do drugs... it's the best anti-drug around. Parents told me I SHOULDN'T do it, not COULDN'T. Sex my parents just said, "Don't get pregnant. Watch for STDs." :roll: Oye. Don't care for sleeping around in college. I'll keep my virginity thank you. ^^;

A lot of times it seems that the people I know that were ABOUT to start or have began and currently use drugs all had one things in common... It was all forbidden. A guy named Matt I knew in my Junior year of highschool started smoking, "upgraded" to pot and is now takin' his ecstacy because, "My parents and brother are boring, I gotta be different. And if they think this is bad then it's probably great." ;P
Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheAngelicSin wrote:
There was some article a while back that my friend sent me since I'm female. They had some kind of draft plan that involved recruiting anyone of either sex at the age of 18 through 26. If they were attending college they would be allowed to finish up their semester, and if they were a senior in college they could finish the year. After that they would be drafted without question. Those who would decide to go to Canada would not be excused from the draft and those that right-out refused to go into service would be arrested or some crap like that.

Now I doubt this will/has gone into effect and I sincerely hope it never does. I mean I'd be pretty pissed to be pulled out of college to fight for a country I don't want to fight for. There's too much hatred within the borough of NY I live in (Though I'm upstate now for college). It discourages me from wanting any involvement - which would, according to the aforementioned article, place me under arrest. Pretty sick I'd say.

Not that I wouldn't fight, mind you. I know I could fight if I wanted to, albeit I'm a female, because I have good fighting potential but again, it's a choice I would make - to not stand up for people I can't get along with in the first place.

Also, I always found the you're 18 you can smoke, play lottery, vote, potentially be drafted (as a male; I don't think they pushed it for females yet since I didn't have to register with the state like males do :wink: ), etc... but you can't drink. M'eh, I hate alcohol anyway and there's already been 5 alcohol-related events at my college so it's not impossible. It's just weird seeing it as illegal until 21. Hm.

Yeah. Actually there was a bill going through the House (if I remember rightly, it was shot down) that would've reinstituted the draft with some extra clauses.

One of which is that it removes the gender barrier. Girls would be required to register and could be drafted.

The second was what you said about finishing college and then being drafted.

And the last, which REALLY irritated me, was that even if you were a declared pacifist or a concientious objector, they could still draft you. You would just be assigned a non-combat post, or if your beliefs won't allow you to participate in any military duty whatsoever (like me) then you would be relocated to another part of the country where you would be forced into civil service.

Whoever thought this bill up was obviously stupid as this would've cost him/her their credibility and possibly their job as the public would never have gone for it.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I know is I'm thankful it didn't fall through. ;P If I'm going to be pursuing that PhD in Physics I'm going to be in college for a very LONG time - and taking a year or so off just wouldn't be an option!

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a draft should only be put into place in extreme circumstances where unforseen circumstances bring about reasons for having to force people to join if they do not volunteer freely. However under any normal circumstances like if they go to war or something and it's rather mild and they already have enough to keep the situation good than there is no reason to make a draft to get more people to come into the army. However if it was something huge like another world war which is an exceptional case then yes if there is not enough people in the army at the moment then a draft would be very appropriate but otherwise no.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear the "agest" rant all the time, just when if comes from pot-head 17 year olds its like "ueah, i know what you'll vote for"

also what the hell is it with booze and the likes? OMG I need to be drunk! come on, is that what is to live and be human? I feel so allinated that I don't have an inclination to drink, the strangest thing is, "i come from a line of lushes" my mom says.

Pinky Up! I have my tea thankuyouverymuch, keep your coffie and wine and let me wallow in my sadness.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, I'm quarter Irish and I don't care for drinking! ;D

But really, it's starting to seem like most of the people I've acquainted myself with in this university is only here for the parties and booze. :| It's really quite sad... And I hope I can start running into some people who have better things to do with their time... ^^; Or you know, maybe not better, just what I do with my time. :D

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I remember correctly that bill you were speaking of is still in the House and has been for quite some time now. The bill aimed to rewrite the Selective Service act to allow woman to be drafted, which I personally don't have a problem with. I believe men and women should be held to the same standards, but that's another debate altogether.

My biggest problem with that bill was all the power it gave to the president. The president was the one who, due to the horrible wording of the bill, had the sole authority to decide the when, where and how of every citizen's "mandatory" two years of national service.

Of course, I disagree with having a draft in the first place. As far as I see it, there's a difference between defending one's homeland and attacking some other country, for whatever reason. In the unlikely event of the United States coming under attack, I would understand it if the draft was used to protect the continental United States from invasion, but that's about the extent of it. Though even then I wouldn't really see the need, as despite what people think there is a huge amount of patriotism in the United States when the country faces crisis--I'm sure people would enlist of their own accord.

And as an enlisted person in the USAF, I can tell you that a draft just isn't likely at all here--the United States military is actually cutting thousands of jobs. It is harder to get into the military now than it ever has been. Granted, if you want to serve, and you've been a good person in your lifetime, the military will take you--but if you've got federal offenses or medical problems than you're less likely to be allowed to serve. They just aren't writing as many waivers nowadays.

As for the topic of this thread, I've always believe in self-accountability. If you're old enough to be considered "old enough to make your own decisions," old enough to be an adult, than you're sure as hell old enough to drink, regardless of when you can join the army. In reality, the drinking age isn't stopping youths from drinking, so it's really not a huge issue. I think that if we lowered the drinking age and started teaching more about responsible drinking, than perhaps alchohol abuse would decrease. A lot of kids develop alcoholism at a young age in the US.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but it seems teaching people about STDs from their early teenage years didn't seem to do much for many people I've encountered. In fact I take that back... Sex Ed. in general didn't seem to help many of them since they thought that the whole "pulling out" thing really worked and the teacher was just on the side of the parents so that they wouldn't be allowed to sleep together. People will be ignorant and find ways around everything if they want to.

I'll continue my belief that women shouldn't be drafted - but then again no one should be drafted and recruited against their will to serve for a country they don't feel like fighting for.

You realize that even if the US was attacking a country they could always try to use propaganda to their advantage and convince the citizens (at least try to..) that the states themselves are under attack by saying "troops stationed in Xnation attacked yesterday.... 34 killed, 42 injured.... terror threats made against the US... troops to sneak into the states," etc. It's not impossible to twist the truth and break its arm in the process.

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for ppl pointing at me :
You understand me wrong, I talk about the old warfear...
Where real tactics where needed and leaders whent to go drink tea with eachother
and had respect for one an other.

Btw this thread is about YOUR OWN idea, so don't you looking at some1 elses,
If you are christian,Moslim,Boedist, etc i respect that.... do you respect the way of ppl's thinking ?!?

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheAngelicSin wrote:
Yeah but it seems teaching people about STDs from their early teenage years didn't seem to do much for many people I've encountered. In fact I take that back... Sex Ed. in general didn't seem to help many of them since they thought that the whole "pulling out" thing really worked and the teacher was just on the side of the parents so that they wouldn't be allowed to sleep together. People will be ignorant and find ways around everything if they want to.

True, a lot of problems can't be eliminated. I've never seen any data on the issue (it would be hard to collect accurate data in this case), but I find it hard to believe that nobody learned anything from things like Sexual education. A lot of kids do use condoms now, simply because they've been made aware of what can happen--STD's, pregnancy, etc. How else could you explain it?

Quote:
You realize that even if the US was attacking a country they could always try to use propaganda to their advantage and convince the citizens (at least try to..) that the states themselves are under attack by saying "troops stationed in Xnation attacked yesterday.... 34 killed, 42 injured.... terror threats made against the US... troops to sneak into the states," etc. It's not impossible to twist the truth and break its arm in the process.

Of course they could, but that would be dishonest. It doesn't have anything to do with my views on the draft. Like I said, if the Continental United States were under threat of invasion or hostile takeover--which would mean that the US could not stop the threat with it's current force, I could see the usage of the draft. However, as I said previously even in such a case I doubt the draft would be needed as a lot of people would enlist of their own accord. In the case you stated, the US is obviously lieing, so I don't approve of using the draft in that case.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I can see a made a little error there - MANY people I've encountered weren't helped by Sex Ed... I think it's more because of their personality perhaps and thinking, "Oh well THAT could NEVER happen to ME!" It has helped maybe three or four people I know become more aware of issues though... But stuff like that just don't seem to aid the masses as much as you'd think they would. Although potentially "saving" one person is worth the effort I'd say.

About your second reply - well let's just hope nothing of the sort happens. Because we know the States can lie and they can be honest. It just depends on what's going on and we can only hope for the best. Hopefully it never actually comes down to a draft though... 'cause that would royally suck. ;P

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i do agree since all they are being is hypocrites. you can't just set things down like that, saying one thing and doing another. but in effect, it's not like they care about us anyway. if they force you into the military. then they should pay you double, because they're just doing it so they don't have to go, the cowards.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
I don't agree with compulsory drafting or having alcohol limits. In cultures where alcohol isn't so taboo and even children drink alcohol there are actually less problems with alcoholism, etc. You see, the problem with a lot of western countries though is that people drink to get drunk and that is seen as the only purpose for alcohol. If it wasn't as taboo then moderation would be more the thing to do, you can see it with anything that is "taboo", sex, drugs and alcohol, teenagers get into it just because they feel they've been missing out on something by being kids. If kids were raised with alcohol as part of their lives (not spirits or anything, but rather Chu Hai, cocktails mixed with soft drinks, beer, diluted wine, etc, stuff that is only about 2% or so) there would be some desire for people to try stronger stuff once they hit their teens, but for most people, they would soon get over that, especially with even stronger alcohol awareness education in schools, etc.

You're right Saben. The fastest way to get someone to do something is to ban it, outright. With the USA's Purtian heritage, we seem to be one of the most censored countries. There's also a high demand for these taboo items. However, that's not likely to change since I doubt politicians will have constituents that listen to Reverse Psychology.

Speaking of politicians, what gets me the most about war is that they do all the condemning and the youth do the fighting. That's wrong. If I have to go to a war, I'd want it to be a reason I'm willing to fight for.

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really know what to say since I am from a place that experienced war in the past, I would only say that war is really a horrible thing and especially for a young person to experience and to witness it's dark and awful face.

In this time and place where we live, war has become such an easy tool to use whenever someone wishes for it just for his or her own personal benefit, which has become a really disparate excuse to use just to justify their miserable action to gain something by force rather than talk.

Anyway, I just want to say that I'm totally against forcing someone to fight even if it is for a good cause because every human being has the right to act by there own free well.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There will not be a draft.

Someone in congress proposed it but it only got 2 votes for yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: