Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

~Questions about school(or work)~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: ~Questions about school(or work)~ Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, so, I don't go to school at the moment, but for all those that do, a couple of questions.(I would ask questions about work, but that would be way more boring. "Do you like your job?" ... "No"..zzzzzz)

1 - What are you majoring/minoring in?

2 - What type of job do you want to go into after school?

And just so it's not just a thread for university students
3 - What are your favorite classes, and least favorite classes?

My answers:

1 - Nothing
2 - None
3 - None
But of course as I said, I'm not going to school, so..

~Your turn to answer~

---For questions about work, see my next post in this topic---

Or if you don't even want to think about work, just read about poeple going to school.

Last edited by Snowe Vingerhut on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I dunno, but I'm just doing required stuff right now.
2. One that doesn't suck.
3. I really like psychology and math classes, but I hate science and dull English courses (sure, English can [rarely] be fun, but no teacher can make grammar interesting to me!) that don't actually teach me anything.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1)Don't understand what that involves. We usually do one subject at University.

2)Accountancy, for the money. :P

3) I really like Maths and Chemistry at the moment, though I only do three subjects, so I should really be saying that I don't like Physics.

I like Maths because I'm good at it basically, I find the class easy, so I can basically relax a bit more than usual, it's much less stressful for me than the other two.
I like Chemistry because my teacher is really cool and easy-going. It makes all the difference sometimes, if you are allowed to have a laugh in class instead of silent working.
I hate Physics because I don't want to do it, I am not interested in it at all.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I don`t understand, being from Europe...do you choose one main subject and several lesser ones or something? I haven`t started at University yet, but I`d like to study Japanese, English and possibly History. Maybe something extremely interesting will come up later which I don`t know about yet, but that`s how it looks for now. Financial concerns will also come into play, obviously...

2. Hmm...I haven`t really been able to decide. I`d like to be a writer, but I doubt very much I could live on that alone. It`d be nice to do some kind of research, language study or maybe translation. I really don`t know what I`ll end up doing for a living right now, though.

3. I love languages, and I also like subjects like History, Sociology and others. Pretty much everything except for maths and physical stuff, which I loathe deeply. I just suck so much at maths, and have zero interest in it.

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1 - I'm not in college yet (going into my last year of high school though) but I'm taking a LOT of arts courses this year (Always took a lot though ^_~)

2 - I hope to be a character designer but I also am working to be a photographer. I'm pretty good with (learning) languages. Perhaps I'll be able to do some translating stuff.

3 - Favourite class: Photography / Least Fav class: English X_X Bah! XP and Law, which I HAD to take. -__- Stupid filled up classes...
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I am not in college yet.

2. I would like to eventually be a game designer or a writer.

3. I don't actually have two favourite classes, the ones I have tied are Math (I am pretty good at math), English (I am very creative so I like the writing and literature part of English.) My least favorite class is probably science, but grade wise History (I still can't remember the 50 states :oops:.)

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. nutritionist

2. a job in the above field

3. work and be independant again.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1-I just entered High school I'm only 15
2-Planning on taking a computer design course when I'm in 11th grade
3-Favorite class-History
Least favorite class-Math ugh how I hate math its so friggin' hard
add this add that blah blah blah
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm no longer in school, haven't been for quite some time actually, I'm in the working world at this point. But there's a couple I can answer:

I would like to be a web site designer. (can be nerve wracking, but it's something I can enjoy doing.)

This one is easy! My favourite class while in school was most definitely music. I actually took an extra year of just music classes, though various snafus kept me from performing in the class concerts, though I did get to be a stage manager during a semi-professional concert at the school, during one of the groups' CD release party. That was a fun time.

When I was in grade 9, I also enjoyed Social Studies quite a bit, but I also had a great teacher in that class. I did so well in the class I didn't have to take the final exam.

From grades 8 through 12, I enjoyed wood working and even though the type of wood working I did in those classes (mainly small objects like breadboxes and wall clocks) isn't really related, my current job is in a cabinet production line.

My least favourite class would be math, unlike RandomGuy and Diaz I wasn't very good at it.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't know yet, and i'm in 2nd year! hee hee! - i guess it's Economics, with a international trade and forecasting major, and a human relations minor, or developmental economics and theory. but i don't know, we'll see. it's strange to take an interest in business for the "hell" of it, most people do more arts subject courses for the "hell" of it. the good thing is, it is easier to find a career out of this. (no offence?)

i hope to pick up some accounting subjects so that i can hopefully do Forensic accounting - that subject just seems so mindblowing. i would then like to work for the Australian Federal Police, and investigate frauds and murders through accountancy!!! (hired hit men and insurance scams, so on) - but this depends on if i like accounting. or else, i could keep studying developmental economic theory and poverty, and write a book, hah! i would feel very acomplished, and if well founded, i could be a lecturer, or such. that is of course, unbelievable. i'll probably end up in some office cubicle telemarketing job. bleh.

or maybe if/when i finish uni, i can take up a post-grad in forensics (no science degree required) and work at the coroners office. i had always wanted to do that since i was about 10-11, and in 10th grade, a trip there made it all the greater!

finance economic development, economic history, marketing, economic theory, so on, so on.

in highschool, i was all politics, economics, chemistry and biology. and i was good at it all. in 1st year uni, i realised that chemistry and biology werent for me, in that the amount of effort i need to put in, was more than the income i would expect from it, and my interest had waned, severly! - as for economics, it was "easy", in that i put in minimal effort and got good results and enjoyed what i studied, and, the career prospects and wages are more lucrative than that of a chemical engineering degree. plus, i didn't want to do it simply because my family has a background in engineering.

but it was probably all economics - i reallocated my resources to capitalise on my abilities for the greatest output, to yeild more wages, thus, hopefully, a higher standard of living.

little g (greenunderground), did you finish, or are you planning to study? what are you doing with yourself at the moment?
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Me to answer questions?

Ok, how about for people that don't go to school at the moment, answer either set of these questions:

First set(Prior schooling):

1 - What did you major in?
2 - What job did you go into? and was it the job you hoped for?
3 - What were your favorite classes/subjects?

Second set(Work questions):

1 - What do you like/dislike about your job(pay,hours,challenge,co-workers,customers..etc.)?
2 - So far out all the jobs you've had, which was your favorite/s?
3 - What is your fantasy job?

I'm going to answer the second set:

1 - I like my hours, because they are the easy hours to work(not as hectic). Corporations like to try and run you as hard as possible, so I try to do whatever will keep my company doing good, but not try and kill myself for them. I like to have energy after work, for stuff that I really like to do. I like my benefits, like my medical insurance(very helpful), profit sharing(for the future), vacation days(decent), paid holidays, and I also get paid pretty decent(IMO). What I don't like is some of my co-workers, lazy managers, poor training, and corporate PR BS(double talk "Do it this way, but do whatever it takes to get it done.")

2 - Jeez.. I don't think anyone is going to beat me on the number of jobs held. I can't even remember them all. Sometimes I'll be talking to my brother or someone and be like, "That's when I lived downtown, and was working over at.... where the hell was I working? Do you remember?" And the other person will be like "How the hell should I know? You were working there." Uhhh, anyway.
My favorite job was probably working at the car wash, when I was living by my own means for the first time. That was a time when I felt like I was accomplishing something in my life,..like I was going somewhere. It was also not a very stable time, but I've always loved an adventure, and that was a time in my life I was always finding something interesting to see or do.

3 - Forest ranger of a forest that sits close the beach, but in an area that doesn't get too cold nor too hot. Yeah, I would like that.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1 - What did you major in?

Religion and East Asian Studies.

2 - What job did you go into? and was it the job you hoped for?
I was first in Sales, then became a bartender, then a translator, and then an engineer. I liked my job as a supplier quality engineer because there's a lot of ass-kicking you can do, and I was a natural at it. Bartending is fun--I'd do it forever if it pays better.

3 - What were your favorite classes/subjects?
My favorite classes were anything dealing with Religious Symbols or Psychology. In fact, there is a field within religious studies called "Phenomenology" that delves into religious symbols and the psychology behind them.

Second set(Work questions):

1 - What do you like/dislike about your job(pay,hours,challenge,co-workers,customers..etc.)?
Actually, I just quit my job as design engineer today, but I hated this job. Pays well, but very boring and unchallenging.

Bartending.

Perhaps "Head bartender" in a huge-ass dance club.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like most of the people I work with, and we can have fun with inane banter while we work. However, the guy who is in charge of our area can be a real pain in the ass. The pay's not that great and the transit system could be better, and the whole overtime system they have is the stupidest system I have ever seen.

Basically, if you work regular overtime (over the regular 8 hours during the week) you won't see it on your paycheque, it's all banked into ATO (accumulated time off) and it is not time and a half, it's just your regular wage. If you work on a Saturday, then you get time and a half, but you don't get all of it on your paycheque. I think you only get half and the rest goes into vacation pay, or something like that. The only reason I can stomach it is I've been able to use it to my advantage.

There's not much challenge in what I currently do, though I really want to move over to the adjacent section, since it has a greater chance of keeping me busy and I know I can organize it into an even more efficient system. Where I am right now, it's just a matter of screw on door plates, L brackets, drawer rails. After a while, you begin to feel like an automaton.

The hours aren't too bad, being 8am to 4:30pm. Quite often we are asked to work overtime, and because of the bus system, I can only work half an hour of overtime until the transit system is FUBAR. (well, even more so.) Before the place moved, there was a SkyTrain station within a 5 minute walk, but now the nearest station is at least a half-hour walk away. When it comes to holidays, I have only two options... either opt out or arrive at work quite late, at least half an hour or so. The bus service is horrible on the Sunday/holiday schedule, so I either tell my supervisor I can't work, or to expect me late.

I would have to say the job where I worked at the warehouse where my dad works. It wasn't my ideal job but the people were good to work with. There was some of the automaton-esque nature to the jobs I was doing, but it actually paid better than the job I'm at now (even after two raises) and I was only a casual worker when I worked there.

It's kind of underwhelming, but I love both comics and video games and would like to be able to go into business with a comic/video game store.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lesse.

1) So far undeclared but I'm thinking of either Pre-law or physics.

2) Wellm judging by my major choices Either a lawyer or a physicist. I'd also like to be a politician, though I've always dreamed of being a bartender and owning my own tavern. <_<

3) So far my favourite classes are Philosophy and Ancient Greek. I'm just weird like that I guess.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just entered college this week. ;P Although some things I don't like (sharing a room with someone... a LOT different than me... in many aspects...) I love the experience so far and hope it will continue getting better as it has every time I've left the dorm to check out things like clubs. :) But on to the questions.

I'm an intended PHYSICS major, for the B.S. degree. My school doesn't allow you to be considered a major until you're accepted into the program, I'm pretty sure many universities worldwide do this, too, though. I'm most likely going to minor in MATHEMATICS since I'd only need one class other than the ones I'm taking for Physics (I have to ask if this is okay with the math department though). I'd also consider a minor in GERMAN - but it depends on if they open certain courses I like. :oops: They haven't had the "Readings in Old Norse Literature" for a year or so it seems. I'd love to take that! ^^;

So basically... Physics major, Math minor.

Personally I'm not too sure. I keep changing my mind from minute to minute because I have too many interests. It would be cool working for a lab based on research in either astrophysics or quantum physics - or even chemistry. I probably wouldn't mind being a professor either - but I'm not too sure on whether or not I could take all that work.

I'm hoping Physics will take me to the right end but, I'm 18, I have some time left. :mrgreen:

Favorites: Physics, Chemistry, German/Foreign Language
Least Fav.: World Civilizations

Now don't get me wrong - I don't hate reading about history... I just hate the way it's taught and forced on you in school. :| It ruins the whole general good feeling about knowing facts about the past. If I had learned about Leonidas I in class I probably wouldn't remember spit about him... but seeing as I read up on him on my own free will!... ;P You get the point.

Generally I'm a science person >_<
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: