Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

favorite quotations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: favorite quotations Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there's a thread for game quotes and movie quotes somewhere on this forum, if you want to post from games or movies, post there.

unless of course it's something that has changed your life or influenced you in some way.

this thread is for those more "smarter" quotes, by influential people from history and the present- authors, politicians, revolutionaries, human right activists, musicians, so on... or maybe it was just something your mum, teacher, or workmate said. share wisdom and share quotes!

you don't Have to say why you like it if you don't want to, but if you want to explain it, go right ahead.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

to err is human, to forgive is simply not policy.

*can't remember who's responsible for that*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo Galilei

If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old

James A Garfield
Eriatarka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*edited by sybillious for severely questionable content*

please use some sense when posting; that was hardly appropriate for younger members.

you are also going to be penalized soldiers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'How fortunate for those in power that people do not think.' - Hitler (I suppose it's morbid to like this quote, but it's so true that it can't be overlooked.)

An excerpt from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice: 'If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?'

'Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other son of a [expletive] die for his.' - Patton
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forgiving does not change the past, but it enlarges the future -Paul Boess
Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction -Bob Marley

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -- Albert Einstein.

Perhaps less profound the the ones above, but nice and scientific, and I like it.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Religion is like opium for the masses." -Karl Marx

Might not be the exact wording, but it should be close. I`m probably about as far as you can get from a communist, but I still like this quote a lot. I feel he`s dead-on there. I don`t intend to offend anyone, though, just my personal opinion.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's one that I feel hits close to the truth

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

By Sir Richard Francis Burton (who if you don't know is actually the guy who is credited with finding the source of the Nile and also translated the Kama-sutra)

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"You can't have a rainbow without rain"
-Dolly Parton.

i saw that on monday in a shop window, and being a horrible rainy day, actually did make me happy because better weather is coming (i get seasonal 'sadness'), and i can't wait, summer is so close (it's winter down south here!)
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"people don't think, people eat. So give them rice and then you'll have yourself a country" - Soeharto

That is the words my country's dictator said before he's thrown, but for some reason I have to agree on what he said.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Learn how to die, and you'll learn how to live" by Morrie Schwartz (sp?)

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have two favourites:

When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger. -Herman Goering

Bit eerie how they appliy now as well.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a few of my favourites that randomly get added to my emails:

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

....odd isn't it.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon." - Napoleon

"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend." Unknown

"A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic." Unknown

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A couple political ones, just to demonstrate that the leaders of our countries have a tendency to say the dumbest things:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - US President George W. Bush

"A proof is a proof. What kind of proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - (Former) Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Finally. two quotes from Sliders:

"And remember Your Highness, the sun never sets on the British Empire because God doesn't trust the British in the dark." - Prof. Arturo

"Mr. Pavarotti is an Italian. He speak-a like-a this. Do I speak-a like-a this? No. Why? Because I'm an Englishman, you blithering idiot!" - Prof. Arturo

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: