Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Official 2006 NHL playoffs thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Official 2006 NHL playoffs thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The NHL playoff schedule was announced earlier tonight after the last of the teams finished their seasons.

I live in what's considered the atlantic area by the NHL, therefore I follow the atlantic division closely. I am a HUGE devil's fan (have been for about 12 years) and I was overjoyed when I saw that they had clinched the Atlantic division. By going on a massive winning streak the devils surpassed the Rangers and Flyers and captured the Atlantic division title.

However, this is a double-edged sword. By finishing third in the Eastern conference the devils have ensured themselves a spot against their crossriver rivals, the New York Rangers. The Rangers were on fire all season but seemed to lose a little steam toward the end. I know this is going to cause some friction in my family (I live in New York, my brother, sister, and father are all hardcore Rangers fans.) Anyone have a prediction on thsi series? I may be biased, but with the streak the devils have been on I'm going to give this one to them in six games.

The remaining matchups are as follows:

Eastern:
(1)Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

I'm giving this one to Ottawa, they're a strong team, one of the best in the NHL. They will sweep Tampa.

(2)Carolina
(7) Montreal

Carolina is a another strong team and I think that they'll sweep Montreal

(3)New Jersey
(6) Rangers

(4)BUffalo
(5)Philidelphia

The Flyers will take this undoubtedly, but it will take them six games.

Western:

(1)Detroit
(8)Edmonton

This one goes without saying. Detroit is the top team in the NHL and is one of the main driving forces behind American hockey. Sadly enough, the city itself has become Hockey's American capital.

(2)Dallas
(7) Colorado

I'm surprised that this pairing even came to be. The Avalanche have taken large hits this season but I expected better results from them. This will be the toughest series in the west but Dallas will come out of it in five games.

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

Two teams I know very little about. I predicted Scott Niedermeyer's move to Anaheim but I'm not sure how he's been performing alongside his brother Rob. Something deep down tells me that Anaheim might win this series so I'm predicting that they will take it away after game seven.

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

The San Jose sharks came out of nowhere in my eyes. I didn't see them making the playoffs at all at the beginning of the season but they pulled it out. However, I have to give Nashville credit. THe Predators are a younger team and they've impressed me this season, Nashville is making it to the second round this year.

Anyone else have predictions? Anyone else care? Am I just barking in the dark here?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official NHL playoffs thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a Leaf fan, we didn't deserve to make this year. We had our shot, we were in 6th place at one point. But our team fell apart for a number of reasons, but I won't rant on that here.

This year's playoffs I will actively cheer for any team that is playing Ottawa. I don't care who wins, as long as it isn't Ottawa.

Here's the way I see the 1st round playing out

Eastern:
(1) Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

Ottawa in 6, as much as I'll be cheering for Tampa this round, I don't think they'll do it. Both teams are very fast, skilled and solid defensively. However, they both have question marks in net. Will Hasek be ready or can Emery carry that team? What about Burke or Grahame? This should be an exciting series though.

(2) Carolina
(7) Montreal

Carolina in 5. Huet is good, but when their best defensemen (Souray) gets posterized by just about everyone it won't be pretty. Markov does his work in the other end of the rink. The Weight and Recchi deals will finally begin to pay dividence starting here with them adding depth to the team and vetran leadership.

(3) New Jersey
(6) Rangers

Rangers in 7. The Devils offense is playing great, Marty is Marty, but that defense will now be put to the test. They are a hot team coming in though which is always a good thing. Lundqvist should be back so I think the Rangers pull this one off. That is of course if Jagr wants to.

(4) Buffalo
(5) Philidelphia

Buffalo in 6. It's hard for me to side with any team relying on Esche to be in net. In fact, Philly finally has the answer in the net and they appear to be going with Esche... again? Speed vs. Size here, and I believe the New NHL's rules will be called in the playoffs. Philly has had trouble against fast skating teams recently (Ottawa, Tampa even MTL to some extent). That and Miller is a better goalie than Philly has seen in a decade.

Western:

(1) Detroit
(8) Edmonton

Detroit rolls in 5. Edmonton is good for one win in either game 3 or 4 though. Edmonton does have a couple players that always show up in the playoffs like Peca and Pronger. But Detroit is to fundamentally sound, to skilled and just much better all around.

(2) Dallas
(7) Colorado

Dallas in 5. Colardo has goaltending issues, but Turco needs to prove he's a playoff goalie. Dallas is stronger overall with a nice mix of youth, vetrans, speed and size. Tanguay being out, Hejduk being out earlier, Foote being gone and the lack of a goalie was the downfall of the avs this year. More of the same.

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

Selanne and Niedermyer are carrying Anaheim. Calgary takes this one in 6. Their lack of offense may hurt but they have in my opinion the best defense corp in the league in front of the best goalie in the league. That's championship material right there. The Saddledome is tough to play in.

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

San Jose in 7. With Vokoun, I take Nashville all the way, but Mason is no Vokoun and Nashville would only go as far as Vokoun would take them. Thorton, Cheechoo and Marleau have been lighting it up but don't count out those Preds. A good powerplay with a solid defense and wingers that can skate can spell trouble for SJ who lost a lot of speed in that Thorton robbery earlier

That's my take on round 1.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I may have to change my view on the Colorado/Dallas series. Taking into account that the elevation in Colorado is so high and we've seen teams have trouble playing there in the playoffs before due to scheduling I think we might see this series extend to six but probably not seven.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet wrote:

... Detroit ... Sadly enough, the city itself has become Hockey's American capital.

What's that supposed to mean? "Sadly enough"...

(1)Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

Talent wise, Tampa can't hang with Ottawa. In fact, I'm not sure anyone in the east can. Drive wise... well that's a different story. With focus, Ottawa will win in 4. I bet it goes 5 or 6.

Ottawa in 5

(2)Carolina
(7) Montreal

Carolina is overrated and slower. Here's your upset of the first round driven by some goaltender who keeps standing on his head.

Montreal in 7

(3)New Jersey
(6) Rangers

New York has talent but no chemistry. That'll amount to wins in the series... maybe a couple... maybe just 1.

New Jersey in 6

(4)BUffalo
(5)Philidelphia

Philadelphia has lapses when Gagne can't find the net once or twice a game. I think this makes 7 straight years they're full of names and lacking chemistry. They're good, but I'd love to see Buffalo sweep them. I doubt it'll happen.

Buffalo in 7

Western:

(1)Detroit
(8)Edmonton

Edmonton plays hard, but Detroit can play any style of hockey they need to beat you. Dump and chase? They're big and fast enough. Finesse? They've got the passers and shooters. Dallas is the only team capable of beating them talent wise. Barring an injury Detroit goes to the finals.

Detroit in 4

(2)Dallas
(7) Colorado

Dallas is just too talented. I think Turco will be fine here and he's got plenty in front of him to force at least 1 first round shutout.. maybe 2.

Dallas in 5

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

I think the edge has to go to Calgary simply because of goaltending. They have one... Anahiem doesn't.

Calgary in 5

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

San Jose is going to score and score a lot on a goaltender that's not who Nashville wants to see behind their defense.

San Jose in 6

Last edited by Sierra Mikain on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Niedermeyer has been very good in Anaheim for reference.

Blasphemy I've just got to say that the Flyers have not had trouble with Ottawa we took the season series against them quite handily to be honest. You were right to say we had trouble with Montreal and Tampa Bay but sometimes teams just have your number. Esche has been better than Nittymaki lately so I fully support their choice to go with Esche, at least if he's crap this year I know we've got someone decent to fall back on unlike with Burke last year, of course if you find yourself lamenting your goaltending decision it's probably too late to fix.

Eastern:
(1) Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

Ottawa, they've been great this year in general and I think they've got both a strong offence and good defence, despite Hasek being injured Emery's been pretty decent anyway so I think they can get by Tampa but I won't write off the defending champs so easily they do have good players around still it's just a shame they don't have a goaltender worth their salt.

(2) Carolina
(7) Montreal

Carolina to take this because I really like a few things about them. I wish the Flyers still had Justin Williams, I miss him. I don't actually like their acquisition of Recchi he didn't do a lot in the playoffs in the couple of years past for the Flyers but maybe he'll actually step up his game instead of letting it slip this year.

(3) New Jersey
(6) Rangers

New jersey to win because they've been on a hell of a streak to finish the season and the Rangers threw their game away and let the division lead crumble to finish third. Lundqvist should be back in net for them but the thing is Jersey is a team built for the playoffs to me and I think they'll overcome the New York Jagrs.

(4) Buffalo
(5) Philidelphia

I'm extremely biased! Flyers to win of course let's say 6 games for the sake of it and I'll reiterate people overstate the Flyer's lack of speed. Buffalo play a gritty game, they're not all about the speed. If Forsberg is on his game (and when hasn't he been in the playoffs?) then we have a very good chance. Esche was very good in the playoffs last time round. If you take the total number of games that Forsberg, Hatcher and Desjardins have played in the playoffs it's probably more than the whole Buffalo team, that experience factor could be important in some way.

Western:

(1) Detroit
(8) Edmonton

I love Detroit's team they're really good. I don't think Edmonton can beat them but then again if they don't win what will we do without our annual Dallas versus Edmonton game?

(2) Dallas
(7) Colorado

Dallas in this one one, Colorado will be without Svatos and apparently Blake isn't what he once was. Look at who they lost coming into this season, Foote and Forsberg, both very important to them. I wonder what Theodore will do in the Playoffs this year.

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

Kiprusoff and Calgary to take this and look very sturdy while doing it. Calgary haven't let in all that much this season and have had great defence, I still think that will be what playoff hockey is about, a tighter more defence based game so I think Calgary will take it.

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

San Jose will win this one in the west's only upset. Chris Mason will not be able to carry the preds past Joe Thornton and Cheechoo, further showing that Boston made a hell of a mistake getting rid of Joe Thornton who is a true franchise player. I did really like the preds coming into this year but Vokoun got hurt at a very bad time for them and it will show.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PF wrote:
Blasphemy I've just got to say that the Flyers have not had trouble with Ottawa we took the season series against them quite handily to be honest. You were right to say we had trouble with Montreal and Tampa Bay but sometimes teams just have your number.

I was thinking about the past playoff series you guys had.... 01-02 was an interesting series, what was it... 2? :) 02-03 was a bit better. But I know all about a team having your number... Philly has ours in the playoffs.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh that series! Yeah 2, but we did win a game somehow despite that. Ruslan Fedotenko with an OT goal to give us a 1-0 victory haha. I was only really talking about this years regular season, you're right about us and them in the playoffs of course. The good old Toronto-Ottawa-Philadelphia playoffs rock-paper-scisscors thing.

The truly sickening part was that deadline acquisition Adam Oates was our top scorer in the playoffs with 2 points.

And everyone says that was a bad deal.

Zamza

Fire Dragon Cavaliers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I'm a Czech National fan so my favorite teams the last few years have just been whereever Hasek and Jagr end up...So go Rangers and Senators!

Eastern:
(1)Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

Ottawa here, I just don't see the defending champs being able to score on Hasek, but I can't predict a sweep, so Senators in 5.

(2)Carolina
(7) Montreal

Carolina will destroy Montreal in a sweep.

(3)New Jersey
(6) Rangers

Here, the Rangers are going to be led by Jagr to an upset. Rangers in a great series, win it in 7.

(4)BUffalo
(5)Philidelphia

Flyers in 5.

Western:

(1)Detroit
(8)Edmonton

I don't even need to say it do I? Detroit with the sweep.

(2)Dallas
(7) Colorado

Dallas in 6, I think the Avalanche will give them a run for their money, but in the end will be beaten by the better team.

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

I'm predicting Calgary taking this one in 5.

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

The Sharks have surprised everyone this year, and they will surprise the Predators as they win it in 6.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... I'm from Buffalo, so expect some biased reviews on Eastern Conference teams and match-ups. Particularly the Flyers-Sabres match up.

Eastern:
(1) Ottawa
(8) Tampa Bay

I don't like Ottawa, and I really do hope the Lightning upset them here, but we all know that its not going to happen. Last year (well, 2 years ago really) the Lightning got lucky. This time around, the Senators are gonna show the southerners real hockey.

Ottawa Sweeps Tampa

(2) Hartford
(7) Montreal

As a diehard, I'm going to give the Whalers props where they are due. They know how to skate. These guys will play sharp and really take it to those Canadiens. I bet them frenchies in Montreal will be wishing they had their dear Patrick Roy in net, because them Whalers will be scoring big. Montreal might pick up a lucky win.

Hartford wins in 5 over Montreal

(3) New Jersey
(6) Rangers

I'm going to please my friend Scarlet Assassin and say that the Rangers will get thwacked. The Devils are a much better team than they ranked, in my opinion, they should be number two. But they're not and they have to face the Rangers. This makes for great rivalry though. I bet the Jersey, Long Island area will be booming over this series. Especially when the Devils sweep the Rangers.

New Jersey sweeps New York

(4) Buffalo
(5) Philidelphia

Scarlet shows no love for the boys of Buffalo. They got skill and they go into the playoffs on a 5 game streak and with a boatload of confidence. The Flyers have always been a pain in the rears and I really never have liked them. I'll give them one thing, they got great players, but I'll take this away, their goalie is swiss cheese. Sabres have Ryan Miller and well, thats enough to put the Flyers away. He's a wall. Afinogenov and Dumont on ice will put the Flyers where they belong, Home during the Post season.

Buffalo takes out Philadelphia in 5

Western:

(1) Detroit
(8) Edmonton

Poor Edmonton. If only they had their old Gretzky again. Nah, he's too busy gambling, haha. No seriously, Edmonton did well this season and its a shame to see them leave with this kind of trouncing. Detroit, once again, prove that they're the best darn team in hockey and will most likely take the cup. Detroit is gonna have the best month ever in may. The Red Wings and the Piustons are going to be champs. Too bad the Tigers still suck. And the Lions? Well, no need to go into further talks there.

Detroit sweeps Edmonton

(2) Dallas
(7) Colorado

I might be calling for something CRAZY here, but I think this series will go the full 7. Colorado have better skill than they've shown in the regular season and they're prepared to kick it into high gear and show Dallas everything they're made of. Sadly Dallas will take game seven.

Dallas triumphs over Colorado in 7

(3) Calgary
(6) Anaheim

The Ducks and the Flames? Noe thats bad television. Nobody cares about either team really and its sad because the Flames are proving to everyone that their appearance in the last Stnaley Cup Finals was no fluke. As for the Ducks, I don't want to discredit their accomplishments, but they're not as good as they're ranked in my opinion. Swap them with Colorado.

Calgary tops Anaheim in 5

(4) Nashville
(5) San Jose

Nashville may be young but the San Jose Sharks are the better team. Screw their seeds, San Jose is my upset pick this season. I think they're going to sweep the Predators and bring the gusto into Calgary next round and show them a real fight.

San Jose sweeps Nashville

I'm glad there's hockey again, I really missed the playoffs last year. It seemed so empty. All that there was to talk about was basketball, and well, if you don't have a team, or your team sucks (guilty, I'm a Knicks fan) you can't follow it really. But Hockey has better action. I'm gonna watch this years playoffs and be reminded why Buffalo is the best hockey town in the area. I am also a Canucks fan so I'm disheartened for them as well. :(

I really wanted to se Toronto make the playoffs, just because they really werre a better team than Tampa. Sure they'd have lost 1st round to Ottawa too, but that is beter hockey than Tampa will ever bring. Besides there's no history with Tampa. I REALLY think Hockey can get more exciting if you remove the number of crap teams and bring the game back to where it belongs, the north. No Nashville, Phoenix or Florida teams. Caronila my arse, they'll ALWAYS be the Hartford Whalers!

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
I really wanted to se Toronto make the playoffs, just because they really werre a better team than Tampa. Sure they'd have lost 1st round to Ottawa too, but that is beter hockey than Tampa will ever bring.
Yeah, we've heard the same thing year in year out. And every playoff series between the sens and Leafs ends the same way. This year? Well we didn't make the playoffs... ....but if we had! Rest assured we'd have beat them again ;)

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure. my Rangers finally make the playoffs. Get womped 6-1, and Jagr is on the ice in the closing minutes killing a penalty, and gets hurt. Great......

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
they got great players, but I'll take this away, their goalie is swiss cheese

Someone got this backwards judging by last night! Esche is underrated by the majority he was great in the playoffs two years ago, he can do the same again. I'm not saying he definitely -will- do the same again just he is able. He's had his struggles this year but at the end of this season he was very good and he really stood out despite the Flyers losing their first playoff game in double OT. Esche stopped 55 of 58 shots. The real problem with the Flyers? They gave up 58 shots.

For reference when the Flyers beat the Penguins in a 5 OT game a few years back they conceded 57 shots, that's in three more periods of hockey.

Buffalo are very good, I still think it will be a very tight series but obviously at this point it's advantage Sabres.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Locke wrote:
Sure. my Rangers finally make the playoffs. Get womped 6-1, and Jagr is on the ice in the closing minutes killing a penalty, and gets hurt. Great......

It's tough being a Ranger fan eh? Jagr looked like he was going to cry during that press conference. The team may send out PR stuff saying Jagr will be back shortly to keep team and fan morale up, but believe he's done this year.

PF, that was a great game, Flyers and Buffalo. Really, the best of "My NHL"s game 1s. Flyers looked slow though. They had trouble with Buffalo's counter attack giving up a lot of quality chances. Esche surprised me, I'll admit he looked damn sharp last night. If you get goaltending like that, you could go deep this year. However, I should note that my problem with Esche has always been inconsistency.

Overall, the games have been fairly entertaining

That's definitely going to be a great series to watch!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The homer in me says he can keep it going. Of course it does.

The whole team needs to make a much better effort in the defensive end though they let too many shots on Esche and Buffalo well outshot the Flyers too.

New Jersey destroyed the Rangers and to be honest there's little sympathy to be had from Flyers fans over it...Jagr is fantastic though and it's a shame to have him injured. He makes all the difference to that team hence me previously calling them the New York Jagrs, they will not beat Jersey in this series without him that's my honest opinion but I doubted they would with him anyway if you check my predictions. A seriously tough blow to the Rangers though.

Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am thruoughly enjoying these playoffs so far. THe only serious dominations thus far have been Colorado and New Jersey (Gee, doesn't this sound like the mid-nineties all over again?)

I hate to see the Rangers go down without Jagr for a few reasons. I won't feel satisfied until I see him lose horribly, and Rangers fans will never shut up with "Well if Jagr was on the ice..."

The playoffs have surprised me thus far though, they've been quite even so far. I'm a little disappointed in the Red Wings though. I predicted Edmonton would have a good season but if they can pull this one out even I'll be surprised.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: