Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

"reverend" fred phelps and the gospel of hate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: "reverend" fred phelps and the gospel of hate Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just when you thought it was safe to mourn, he returns:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12071434/?GT1=7938

this guy is as bad as newdow and just as insensitive.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone who bases a religion on hatred misses the point of religion ENTIRELY.

Also, using funerals to protest? Wow, what assholes.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yes, Fred Phelps. The one person on Earth that I would describe myself as hating. I've written about him elsewhere on this site, but this is a dead horse I don't mind beating.

Really, though, there's not that much to say about him. His own words speak for themselves:

- "On September 11, 2001, God Almighty struck the United States of America with the worst terrorist attack in her history."

- "The only way for any country to get right with God at this point is to declare sodomy and all sexual deviance outside one man, one woman, one lifetime as capital crimes, and enforce the death penalty on those convicted of committing the offenses!"

- "If you spent half as much time actually worshiping God as you do that piece of cloth [the flag], this country wouldn't be in the straits it is."

Yes indeed. Everyone who venerates the flag is a idolater. And then there's that nice little sidebar on his site that proclaims that Coretta Scott King, Pope John Paul II, Reggie White, Ronald Reagan, and the West Virginia coal miners (who, apparently, were killed by a direct act of God) are burning in Hell as we speak (er, type). Next to that is his prayer that over two hundred thousand U.S. soldiers die in the war in Iraq.

syb, I have to take issue with your comparison of Phelps to Newdow (I assume you mean Michael Newdow, of the movement to strike "under God" from the pledge). Although they are both insensitive ideologues, saying that one is "as bad as" the other seems a bit inaccurate. In my opinion, Phelps is astronomically worse than Newdow who, to my knowledge, hasn't claimed that virtually one hundred percent of the world will suffer for all eternity (although, granted, being an atheist, he really can't) or protested at soldiers' funerals.

An atheist mirror image of Phelps would probably go around protesting at funerals saying something along the lines of "The soldiers died for a country that has betrayed its First Amendment." Until someone does that, Phelps is in a class of nut all his own.

However, if we're discussing the link, Phelps does have a constitutional right to protest at these funerals. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the "right of the people peaceably to assemble." As long as the Westboro Baptist Church congregants do not physically harm anyone or threaten them with such harm, they are well within their rights.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm, this was in the media a few months ago, then disappeared. I wonder why the subject's popped back up.

Like the article says, the congregation of the Westboro Baptist Church is little more than Phelps' immediate family. This means that his protests will fade from the spotlight, but the publicity from the press and people like the Patriot Guards are keeping them from doing so.

Like before, Phelps will go away if we let him.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phelps is one the few people I acctually hate. I could go on and on and on about how much of a moster the man is..but I'm sure you all know that well enough.

Funny how his "church" is so small. Funnier still that some of his family was smart enough to get the hell away from him. If I remember right one daughter and two sons just kind of left eventually. Saying things like how he beat them..beat his wife..ya know, the ussual white trash stuff.

The funniest? his "church" (2 adults and 4 kids under 10) showed up here about a year and a half ago to mount a protest to a local school doing the Larimie Project. Something like 200 people showed up in support of the play. Guess maybe Vegas is more open that I fiugured.

I do wish people would ignore him. If everyone stops giving him the attention he so desperatly feels he needs, he'll either shut up and be done, or just be ignored..well..period.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it isn't the amount, but the belief that's so disturbing; christ taught peace, love and tolerance-this person isn't a christian, simply because his beliefs encompass NONE of these concepts.

he embodies as much bigotry, hatred and misconception as any supremacy group...

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do groups like these even have an open loyalty, love for and allegiance to Christ? All he seems to say is "God did this, God did that" but for whatever unknown purposes, he avoids using Jesus's name perhaps because he recognizes the hatred of his act and knows that Jesus had nothing to do with spreading hatred. So he uses the almighty human god to take responsibility for 9/11, etc.

I just always wondered, through my disgust of these people.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh. Fred Phelps is his name? I knew this was going on, I just didn't know who I had to kill to shut it up. I'd be surprised if that flaming asshole even saw a bible in his life. What ever happened to "He who is without sin cast the first stone"?

What upsets me even more is that people buy into it. Even indirectly, republicans try passing laws that illegalize homosexuality, which probably gives this guy a sense of accomplishment.

Its this kind of thing that turns me away from Christianity - not because the bible preaches this, but because I cannot stand to be under the same category as this beast. I don't consider him human, either.

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For a fun activity, ask a Right-Wing Christian to read you the exact verse in the Bible where God says he hates gays, it's good stuff.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm much perfer showing them http://thebricktestament.com

That way they can can see that not only are they to Hatee homosexuals but...
They are to kill those who worship Gods other than their own
They are to Stone their Children if they do not listen
If your family says to Worship a differnt God, they are to stoned
Those from Northern Jordan are not Welcome in worship of God.
Magicians are to be stoned
Clothing made of Wool and Linen is bad Too
Men with certain kinds of Genital Injury are not Welcome in Worship of God.
WHen you go to War, Kill the entire male populace.

On second thought. He probably agrees with every word here.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ice wrote:
For a fun activity, ask a Right-Wing Christian to read you the exact verse in the Bible where God says he hates gays, it's good stuff.

I've done that, they either point to Romans or Leviticus. Course Leviticus is just a bunch of crap now, since nobody would be spared then... can't eat shrimp for example...

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scott wrote:
I'm much perfer showing them http://thebricktestament.com

That way they can can see that not only are they to Hatee homosexuals but...
They are to kill those who worship Gods other than their own
They are to Stone their Children if they do not listen
If your family says to Worship a differnt God, they are to stoned
Those from Northern Jordan are not Welcome in worship of God.
Magicians are to be stoned
Clothing made of Wool and Linen is bad Too
Men with certain kinds of Genital Injury are not Welcome in Worship of God.
WHen you go to War, Kill the entire male populace.

On second thought. He probably agrees with every word here.

Not to be an ass, but an educated hateful Christian would easily say that times have changed and "laws" like the wool and linen shenanigans no longer apply.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say you just ask why things haven't changed for others? Chosing to ignore some of what their God says is sinning no matter their justification. If they're gonna preech one part, they gotta preach it all, or they gotta admit they're a bigot. Being so obstinent in their Prejudice to ignore God is pretty bad. Which is ussualy enough to lose al credibility in any educated argument.

'sides. have you ever tried to do things like reason with an Educated hatefull christian? It dosen't work.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, but its from the same section that it condemns homosexuality.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

What upsets me even more is that people buy into it. Even indirectly, republicans try passing laws that illegalize homosexuality, which probably gives this guy a sense of accomplishment.

I'm not exactly sure where to start with how wrong this statement is but I'll do my best.

First off, check your semantics, people are not trying to outlaw homosexuality, they are outlawing gay marriage. You can be gay all you want but not marry. Second, it's real fun to pin everything on the republicans but the plain truth is that plenty of democrats vote the same way. If you want to talk about intolerant people I'd start with RObert Byrd, West Virgina's beloved democratic senator who is a former ranking officer in the KKK and who has written several letters trying to recreate the KKK in West Virginia, stating directly that he'd "rather die a thousand deaths and watch old glory be trampled to the ground never to rise again than stand beneath it with a black soldier." This guy is one of the major voices in the democratic party btw. Next on the checklist is the fact that the two issues aren't even slightly related. You read directly (unless you didn't click the link) that Phelp's group is basically his family and a few whackos. This kook is a tiny roadside attraction on the highway of faith-based politics.

Thank you, all of you for proving just how quickly people will jump on the "let's blame everything on republicans" bandwagon. Honestly, it's not only the right wing that objects to homosexual marriage, and it's not the entire republican party either. I'm a registered republican and I couldn't care less about the issue of gay marriage and if I was forced to vote on the issue I'd cast my vote in acceptance.

I digress. Sorry about my crazy right wing tangent, I know it will be ignored anyway. Just crazy Scarlet going on about nonsense once again. pfft, like anybody's a republican right? They're all just oil drinking robots that bathe in the blood of minorities and eat hundred dollar bills pressed between gold bricks right?

Phelps is a nut, plain and simple.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: