Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

V's Sales Numbers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: V's Sales Numbers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the top 20 games sold in the month of march from NPD: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147802.html

KH2 is number one and since it came a week after V I'm guessing V's got a fair shot to crack the list but it didn't. IV sneaked in the last spot when it came out one Jan of 05. http://biz.gamedaily.com/charts/?id=54
and I found somewhere that it was sold - 60,738 / $2,412,067 for that month. I couldn't find a deep enough list of last Nov. to figure out tactics' sales numbers, but I'm sure neither was a top 100 overall seller in a year since to get in that list at list 110k+ units must be sold. IV might have been a top 50 sold ps2 game...

Dose anyone have more information on this subject? I don't think V was produced as much as IV, but maybe 2-3 times more than tactics. I hope the sales were good but the game is limited enough to have some value in the future.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

odd they have elder scrolls 4: oblivion on that list for all consoles twice. and both gener types it has them on is x-box 360. but i find it very very very odd that suikoden 5 isn't on that list and grand trismo 4 is since that game has been out for a long long time.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V sold about 170,000 in Japan maybe a few thousand more by now.

As for america all I could find was this.
#9 for PS2.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GT 4 and God of War are newly made greatest hits so that surely boosted their sales a bit, I just saw a list of the top 25 games by Revenue for March(don't really know what that means exactly) games on less platforms like godfather, black & Metroid DS were lower, all over priced 360 games & guitar hero are much higher, while reprints like MGS3 GT4 & GTA SA completely fell out of the top 25. Of course V was no where to be found on that list either... I'm not sure how reliable the list that had V at #9 is though, the official NPD one clearly shows 24 the game ahead of the last 3 games on that list and that crappy game came out weeks before V.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So... Square-Enix hurts Suikoden again? Talk about overrated... :roll:

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone know how much the average game costs to make?

Because if we say Suikoden V sells 200,000 copies:
200,000 x $40 = $8,000,000
They've gotta be making a profit on that, sure Suikoden will never get the best graphics because of the profit margin but they should keep on making them.

Of course Final Fantasy XII sold almost 2 million copies in the first week. :|
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden will never sell as well as the latest offering from Square-Enix, especially in the United States. Final Fantasy has its audience cornered and captured, and producing the formula game seems to satisfy the Final Fantasy fans a bit more than the Suikoden ones. Our fan community has a bit of a reputation as a bunch of whiners and nitpickers who aren't ever satisfied with anything. Like it or not, some of that is justified...and perhaps the Suikoden titles just don't have as broad of an appeal as your stock three to four man party saving the world from evil.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V cost around 8000 yen in Japan, which is about $70.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Our fan community has a bit of a reputation as a bunch of whiners and nitpickers who aren't ever satisfied with anything.

You are my hero! I wanted to say that for a while.

But most people have been very satisfied with V. Very few who didn't like it. All in all I think Suikoden fans are more loyale but FF has more broad appeal. So I don't think Suikoden will reach sales numbers anything like FF.

But it doesn't matter anyways. I don't think the sales are effecting Konami's decisions to make these games or to send them over here. So long as they keep making games like V and with good VAs I will be happy.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Suikoden V cost around 8000 yen in Japan, which is about $70.

Well that boosts it up to about 13 million. From all indications they're currently working on Suikoden VI so I'm happy.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, because Konami sells their games directly to retailers (instead of letting SCE approved distributors do the job), they get 17% more revenue from games. After fees are paid to SCE for the PS2 platform, along with other fees, the revenus Konami gets from any game is about double of what companies like Squere-Enix (who use SCE appointed distributors) make.
Elixxur

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah games and movies in Japan are hella expensive...It's sickening..RE 4 costs at least 60..And it's illegal to rent games in Japan..

Suikoden will never top FF, why? Because FF has been around longer, as for KH2, it has hype because of Disney backing them up..That's a strong wall that Konami can never take down..I bet Suikoden 6 will be the last one after these weak sales..So sad..
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Konami would stop the series after low sales because if they did they would've stopped the games a long time ago. The Suikoden series has always paid for it self since the games don't have a big as a budget to FF, plus Konami is a big company so even if a Suikoden game's sales are below expected it would'nt hurt them finacially as much as a small developer would. At least that how I think the game industry is.

Plus as we've seen after the critcally-bombed SuikoIV, Konami still released SuikoV on the market and as gotten alot of praise from the fans and so on.

The only way that Suikoden could rival FF (And I and others have mentioned this) is if Konami markets the series the same way they market Metal Gear Solid. With alot of advertising.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elixxur wrote:
Yeah games and movies in Japan are hella expensive...It's sickening..RE 4 costs at least 60..And it's illegal to rent games in Japan..

Suikoden will never top FF, why? Because FF has been around longer, as for KH2, it has hype because of Disney backing them up..That's a strong wall that Konami can never take down..I bet Suikoden 6 will be the last one after these weak sales..So sad..

Uhm, something being around a long time, while advantageous to building a brand name, is hardly proof that it will always sell better. If that were true, then Sonic could never have sold as much as Mario; television would never have more purchases than radio; we'd all still be on Apple II's; and of course, K-mart would be dominant over walmart.

The real reason FF sells more? Better advertising.

Hell, the sales aren't that bad. Look at .hack//MUTATION, which only sold 7,696 units as of October 2005 - and the rest of the series, in that time frame, sold only between 18,000 and 25,000. That's...not a lot. And yet, there's been a ton of .hack stuff around.

However, the anime may have done better there.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elixxur

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but hack has movies out on dvd, does Suiko? No...Of course they have better advertising, plus they have been around for a long time..Why did Sonic die? Because the systems and games got weak..Suiko is slowly going down that same path...At least Sonic has a tv show out, even if it is crappy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: