Suikoden Unique and Irenic Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Characters that deserve a second chance?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent

Self Made Riders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Characters that deserve a second chance? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I completed the game last week. Then during the same week my Kingdom Hearts 2 came and I finished that game too. Now I have a couple of spare days from break left and I feel like playing some Suikoden V again. Name some 'unpopular' characters that you guys think I should try using. Please list reasons for your choice too.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lun. You should use her for three reasons.

1) She rocks, both in battle and out.

2) She's voiced by Lia Sargent, and Lia Sargent also rocks.

3) She was one of the very few characters that I actually liked, so she has to be awesome, right?

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if you haven't checked out richard yet, by far deffinetly check him out. he has a high attack and with his swallow rune he can hit more than once when you use his rune and even when you don't use it.

also zerase. i never used her in my first playthrough but on my second i have used her more and her star rune kicks @ss and she has a high magic.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Josephine makes a decent mage if you feel the whole Eresh/Jeane/Levi/Viki/Zerase class of mages are too powerful. Kisara is useful in a similar vein. I can't see those two getting too much time in most peoples files.

Cius and Lelei make decent 'tweeners' too. People often only go for a team of extreme fighters and extreme mages without using 'balanced' characters.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Despite being a colossal *bleep rhymes with ditch*, I like having Urda in my party- while not as hard-hitting or physically devoted as Cathari, she's a fair hand with magic (I gave her Cyclone) and makes good long-range support. She gets a good rating in Barrage, which allows her to occasionally hit more than one enemy. And, of course, she's a little easy on the eyes.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zerase is unpopular? I think she has abit of an ugly character design (take off that damn hood!) but She kind of seemed like someone most people would keep on standby incase of a pinch.

She was very rarely taken out of my entourage.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, first you should tell us who you DID use, so that we do not tell you repeats. But I'll assume you used the powerhouses like Belcoot, Richard, Zerase, Jeane, Lyon, Georg, Miakis, Zweig, Zegai, Mathias...

Well, one often overlooked character I find, since there's not a whole lot of love for him (or is it a her) is Muroon. I think Muroon is a guy. Anyhow, Muroon actually pulls more than his weight (He'd almost have to since he weighs like 20-30 pounds, *laugh*). Since you are trying a playthrough using less than powerhouse characters (Actually that is a brilliant idea that I will have to try myself. Cood call ol' chap) Muroon is a frontrunner for lead magician. His skill with magic is exceedingly high considering he's a beaver and the rest of the beavers, in my experience, aren't that great in battle. Muroon has a decent ability with a water rune, so making him your healer is a decent idea.

Wabon and Gunde aren't too shabby either. Both can dish out great damage, but I found them to be a tad slow and they take a lot of damage, unlike their childish magicloving counterpart Bergen who dishes out little damage and takes little damage. None of the dwarves of V measure up to Twaikin of III sadly. Gunde comes the closest.

I personally haven't used him much but my friend Hawk seems to say that Yahr is worth the trouble. I'll vouch for Bernadette though. Some just don't think of her as a great unit, but I do. Not only is she really good with magic, but she has a decent attack from long range. The fact that she's skilled with magic but doesn't get bogged down by must have runes or skills (Zerase has the star rune and Tutor, Levi has fixed runes and tutor as does Eresh and Jeane. All 4 major mages get disadvantages.) amlost makes her the most versatile mage. 3 Rune slots plus 2 open skill slots can make her far better than most other mages.

As a rule, I try to stay away from annoying characters, but Lu is actually a decent take. Once you put time into her she can pack a wallop, almost as hard as Cathari. Her speed makes her act quick and I seem to get multiple hits out of her whereas Cathari seldom multi-strikes. The Gadget Rune or whatever she has is a waste of a rune slot if you ask me, but she's not a bad choice if you're playing with the lesser characters.

Another decent mage (I love the mages) is Alhazred. He actually comes with a really great rune for him, as long as you have Murad and Marina in Support, the Condemnation rune. If you're staying away from the powerhouse magicians, you should use Alhazred a bit,. You're gonna have to level him to get Genoh early anyways, yes yes?

I dunno if you consider Logg a powerhouse character or not, but he's the best in the Raftfleet family. Lun is a close second (I never tried Subala, she MIGHT be good) but pop a power rune and a crazed rune on Logg and let the good times roll. Sharpen his anchor up to the maximum and boy, he's a monster. Skillwise, you should max his attack and accuracy. He's not the most adept at the accuracy, but I noticed that once he has the crazed rune equipped, he misses a lot. So pump the SP into his Accuracy and he'll level out some. Oh, and needless to say, keep him out of harms way near the back rows. Later on when he has 3 slots, plop on a drain rune and he'll heal himself so much you'll never worry about him getting hit.

Honestly, this is the first time in Suikoden I found Lorelai useful. I never cared for her in Suikoden I or II, but this game she's actually not bad. I'd throw her in the middle of the characters greatness wise, whcih if you remove the powerhouses, puts her near the top. Keep the lightning rune on her as her magic ability isn't too shabby. Toss on a Lightning Amulet accessory and she'll deal out heavy damage to bosses. I for some reason found that a drain rune works well with her because she seems to hit multiple times, so she heals whatever damage she gets hit with.

Lastly, if you didn't use him the first time through, use Galleon this time around. Hes a defensive tank. He hits decent but since he equips those "knight class" armors he can be your tank. Plop a Wall Rune on him and go in a formation exposing him and only him in the front and you've got yourself a protector. Works well with Muroon as healer in case he does take some moderate damage. If you can later on place a firefly rune on him as well and you're not going to worry about your weaker characters taking much damage. (Replace Wall with Firefly)

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My second time through, I usually used Sagiri and Shigure, Isabel, Bernadette (decent), Lorelai and Killey...I tried using Gavaya, but I just couldn't get any use out of him...

Logg is pretty good, but I haven't taken the time to make him awesome yet. Same for Lun.

Self Made Riders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The kids I used were Hero, Lyon, Levi, Cathari, Georg, Zerase, Richard, Eresh, and Jeane.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nick for me. I got him attacking for quite large amounts of damage, I think he has 3 open slots too? Unless I'm crazy. I was expecting more out of Rahal actually, but I found Nick to be more useful over all.

-My DeviantArt-
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goesh. Goesh can be quite the Tank. I used him for around half the game as my main tank and had a very easy time. He may only get two rune slots, but eh. He still worked rather well for me.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found that Roy pays off well. The catch is that he's unavailable for long periods of time, so you have to do some catching up. Still, he made a great member of my final party with his Cyclone Rune.
the loose teeth

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

isabelle is great.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I myself have only recruited about 70 of the 108 stars, but it is easy to tell that some characters are pure overkill (Georg, Levi, Zerase) and most are good, but not good enough to really get any notice.

One character I haven't heard mentioned yet was Bernadette, who comes to you at the same level as hero and with a Flowing Rune, which is a key rune at any time in the game. I put a Fire Rune on her and sent her to fight in the battles with Roy at the New Queen's Campaign and asses were kicked.

I also at the moment (Hero at lv. 46) have Faylon (The big guy that joined with Roy, or is it Faylen?) at about lv. 43, and he's a pretty heavy hitter with a good amount of HP. He's not great, since most of his right-side stats are low, but he can take a beating.

As Layfield pointed out, Cius and Lelei are good mid-pack characters, but I prefer Lelei because she has better Magic.

I sent Isabel (lv. 44) with Kyle at the NQC, and she did a weapon defense every single time against Queen's Knight Zahhak. She's also a knight-type character, so she's pretty solid on the defensive. I gave her a Killer Rune and she tears ass.

I haven't found most of these other characters yet, but I will. I find the characters in this game to be more powerful (than III or IV).
Nameless Wanderer

Chuukekkonkoken

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Beavers need a second chance. (You also get a remix, hehe)

Gunde pwns people. His victory pose is nice, too. A knight that doesn't have a sword.

Sagiri is fast and can literally destroy enemies with a killer rune. Don't forget Shigure. He's fast.

Though Hazuki is weak compared to Belcoot, I liked her parry potential better.

//Mahou Furyou Nagima! - Magister Nagi Magi//
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: