Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Basketball/Sports Manga

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Basketball/Sports Manga Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shown below is an excerpt from the creator of the manga turned anime Slam Dunk:

Quote:
A question i have been asked often in interviews and letters was why i chose basketball as a theme. Certainly when i started to do this manga there were very few that talked about basketball, more over here in Japan is was mostly Major league related manga or fighting related that were being published. Before I started the series (before having any specific good pictures in my head) I was told by the editor numberous times about how "basketball was taboo in this world".Which basically mean that it was just getting ready to fail. (And maybe) writing a manga about basketball was something that was done by few people only and something that came naturally to me. My debut work had been based on basketball, and even before that when i took part in the "Hope-Step" prize my work was also based on basketball, furthermore my first finished work when i was 19 was also based on a high school basketball team. When i started playing in my High school's basketball team I just loved it and i got extremely interested even more than before, and that was also about the time i had decided to become a manga writer I think that chooseing that theme to be basketball came naturally to me. Also when i think about the fact that i didn't eve nthink about doing something that was already out now I can't even tell you if I would've become a manga writer hadn't i any experience with basketball. "I read this manga and started liking basketball." These letter made me aware of one thing. Thanks to them it made me try to write one much better. I was able to think over and write in a much newer way and to draw much mroe interesting games. I couldn't express the happiness i felt. Nakamura Taizo, Machida Muneharu and Shimatomo Yuki from the Shueisha Co. crossed the work/friend border line and Helped me in an unpayable way. Which just makes my heart even happier. In this competitive population nowadays and with this Mass-media that doesn't care about anything but profiting I start to become a little negative, but I'm really glad I was able to write a work on something i love so much as basketball, thank you very much.

Inoue Takehiko

So the first question that came into my mind was: Basketball was considered a taboo issue in manga? Just how big a risk is it to create a manga based upon this sport than it is to see about any other sport? There are two basketball mangas i have read, one being Slam Dunk, and the other being Rebound, the sequel to Harlem Beat.

And can anyone name any other manga based on sports? The name Prince of Tennis comes to mind.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You also have Captain Tsubasa (based on football/soccer) that had 3 series covering its story (although they shared some common episodes).

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not "taboo" in the literal sense, I guess; basketball was just pretty unpopular in Japan before Slam Dunk came along (I do not know its status now, though). The most popular sports there are baseball and soccer.

Wait, Yuriko Nishiyama has made a sequel of Harlem Beat!?

As for mangas based on sports, what I can recall on top of my head are:
- Soccer
Shoot
The Striker
Captain Tsubasa
Offside
Sakura: Our Fields of Dream
Whistle
Fantastista

- Baseball
Touch (from the creator of Sunshine All Around, Katsu!, and Eternal Blue Sky)
H2 (same as above)
The Pitcher (most of the stories are about fighting rather than playing baseball)
Wild BaseBallers (from the writer of Great Teacher Onizuka)
*Plus many other that has began and ended even before I was born.

- Boxing
Ashita no Joe (really, really, really-really famous. I think there are hundreds of comics referring to the legendary "beaten-up Joe scene")
Hajime no Ippo (70+ volumes and still going strong)

- Basketball
Slam Dunk
Harlem Beat
Cross-Over
Real (about handicapped basketball)

- Tennis
Prince of Tennis
Happy! (from the creator of Monster, 20th Century Boy and Pluto)

- Misc.
Hakkeyoi (sumo)
Citrus (kendo)
Shin Kotaro (judo)
Hikaru no Go (go, does this counts?)

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:

Wait, Yuriko Nishiyama has made a sequel of Harlem Beat!?

Yeah, it's called Rebound, and it's about the team going to the nationals. It starts with them all going to Hokkaido, going against a bunch of punks from Okinawa. I read the frist volume, but i'm not too familiar with the characters.

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
Hikaru no Go (go, does this counts?)

Yeah, i suppose. I wouldn't be surprised if there was or will be a manga about chess. But i dare not ever, ever, ever include Yu Gi oh, and his stupid game.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

any of you guys ever heard of Dear Boys??
it's a manga too from japan about basketball....
and it's cool :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: