Suikoden Unique and Irenic Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Comics!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercenary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Comics! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What comics do you read? Your fav. universre/company/ and or series?

My fav. comics are from the Crossgen Comics, I loved Scion and Negation and all their others, it was beautiful art work best i have seen in comics and some of the best stories ever told....saddly you cant find them anywhere since the company is gone, its always to see greatest fall...i wish you could have seen the comics, they were the best.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read a lot of belgian and french comics.
I can say that I am a great fan of Tintin and Asterix.
Favorite company? Dagraux (sorry if i spell it wrong)

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before I started reading traditional, albeit translated, mangas, I read Saiko and Lavender by Diana Sprinkle and Mike Vega. Before that I was into mainstream Marvel.

Mike also won a spot at third place on the first "Rising Stars of Manga."

Instead of just reading comics/manga, I'm making a few of my own. they're not going anywhere at the moment, but at least I have something.

My muse had better get back to me soon. I haven't even produced a decent pic in awhile. T-T

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do web-comics count?

If they do, I enjoy Penny Arcade, 8-bit Theatre, Homestar Runner and Elftor.

Just because they're funny.
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was always into the Elfquest series, since back in the day.
I love their style of drawing, and that they also switch styles in the same comic book(because of different artists).
I also like the themes that they put in their stories.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh if you want a good web comic go read Jack, it moved from keenspace.
*note Jack is deffently not for the kiddies, unless they are strange, detached and well privliaged to be allowd to read "ma" materal)

I have Get Fuzzy in my paper, its not a "graphic novel" style comic like spidarman or Prince Valent, but your basic "sequenal art' comic. Its funny, has been around for 5-4 years and has grown incredibly in popularity in its short life.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I was never really that interested in any comics as a kid, so I can't say I ever really got into that kind of thing. But as far as web-comics go, 8-bit Theatre is the best in my opinion.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read a lot of comics based on 80's properties; primarily Masters of the Universe (Image/MV Creations), Thundercats (WildStorm) and Transformers (Dreamwave).

With all the various mini-series which Dreamwave likes to do, the Transformers titles alone make up 1/3 of my comic collection, while Devil's Due also has a G.I. Joe vs. Transformers crossover, so I get that one as well.

Thundercats, on the other hand, is a mixed bag. WildStorm has done nothing with the title so far except have five-issue mini-series, changing the creative team with every mini-series. Some of them are good, while others are bad. The only artist they've used (thankfully only for a single issue) whose style I cannot stand is Francisco Herrera. I liked Brett Booth's work on the "Dogs of War" mini-series, and the UDON Studios art in the current mini-series is pretty good as well. Carlos D'Anda did a good job with the art in "Hammerhand's Revenge" it's just a shame he had to work with a horrible story.

The Masters of the Universe comic has been great so far, and it looks like it may suffer the fate of the animated series, as MV Creations is considering cancelling the title due to ridiculous restrictions imposed on them by Mattel. They can't use any character that hasn't appeared on the latest series, which means any character from the classic show who didn't appear on the new show is off limits, and they can't create their own characters for use in the story.

There are problems in the Transformers titles as well, but numerous arguments with Transfans tend to stem from the fans who prefer the old Marvel comic and those who prefer the original cartoon. They've also got Simon Furman doing a series of G1 prequel mini-series, which tends to cause a few bumps along the road, as Furman would rather use his Primus backstory from his Marvel stories, whereas Dreamwave would rather keep the origin vague.

I also collect Viz's Shonen Jump (which I'd recommend if you enjoy manga but are on a budget) and various other titles only available in graphic novel format, such as Rurouni Kenshin and Prince of Tennis, then there's the Suikoden III manga translated by Tokyopop. One of my favourites was Mobile Suit Gundam: The Last Outpost. Only four issues out of twelve were released before Tokyopop abandoned comics for graphic novels, they didn't even release the last issue to Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, and I've been having a hard time finding the graphic novel to see the conclusion of the story.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny, just yesterday i thought of starting this thread.

When i was a kid, i was a big fan of DC comics, particularly the Justice League (the mid 80's to 90's one, which was more humorous than anything. Recently they released a sort of revival, a miniseries with the chars from that JL, called "Formerly Known as the Justice League" and there's another one coming up called "I can't believe it's not the Justice League!")
Then i moved onto Manga, which i still read nowadays, but less. The ones i liked the most(and continue to like) are Rurouni Kenshin, Kamikaze, Skyhigh, Gantz, Clover and Naruto. Used to like Love Hina, and i still do...A little bit, anyway. And some friends are desperately trying to get me into Azumanga Daioh... I admit that Osaka girl is funny...and even scary sometimes. So i might give it a try.

But anyway, my all time favourite comic brand has to be Vertigo. It is a division from DC comics, and some of their comics indeed take place in the same world as the one where the heroes are. Sandman, Hellblazer and The Books of Magic being my all time favourite comics. I highly recommend them, i really do.

All the way to the edge of this world
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i know, lets make sprite comics.
or better yet ones based on our fourm adventures!*wheeze*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i used to read the x men religiously, but after the onslaught/alternate storyline, i stopped for some reason and never regained interest.

there's supposed to be a series for metal gear solid coming out sometime, but i have no idea when; i may check that out once it's available.

i do read some mangas, like sgt. frog, the suikoden III series, excel saga and a few others.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to read Sonic the Hedgehog that was published by Archie Comics. ;P I stopped after a while, although I'll still pick up an issue every now and then. Everything in the series seemed to take a severe plunge downhill after issue 50 ("The Endgame?") in that series... and they're up to about issue 130 or 140 something by now. ;P Monthly comic.

I started reading Solus by, I think, CrossGen Comics. But I stopped after a while because I just forgot to keep buying issues and at the moment I have no real way of buying comics other than asking the University bookstore to order them and err... I really don't feel like finding out if they can or can't special order for me since I can wait a while if I really want the books. ;P Besides, Uni student here needs her money (*cough*bullshitwhat'sthatsecondcopyofusedSuikodeninthedrawer?*cough*) :mrgreen:

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious, i've seen some scans of the MGS comic, and while the graphic style is fitting for the series, the characterization of Snake is really off.

sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ugh, that bad? dang, i was hoping for a new read; guess i have to look elsewhere.

*dissapointed*

i do recommend sgt frog; it is so stupidly funny and the characters are just...off the scale.

i also picked up on an interesting manga a few days back called 'apocalypse meow.' this particular one is really interesting from a war fan's perspective.
Alseid

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.thesnakesoup.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1461

There are some scans and stuff, just so you can make your own opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: