Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 1 or Suikoden 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one to play first?
Suikoden 1
75%
 75%  [ 34 ]
Suikoden 3
24%
 24%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 45

Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Suikoden 1 or Suikoden 3 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, this might seem like a weird question, bus to me it isn't...
I have played Suikoden 2 and 4 till now and since yesterday I am the proud holder od Suikoden 1 and 3. Now my question is this: Should I play Suikoden 1 at first so I know how the whole series started (I know a lot of the story already) or should I play Suikoden 3 at first, because I am a zexener who never saw his nation.

A true answer would be appreciated. I am doing some stuff for my nation at the moment, but the main problem is that I don't know that much about the cities and people and conflicts of my own nation. One can tell me what's going on, but that isn't the same like playing and discovering it myself. So I need a answer. Will I lose some good ideas or information, because I haven't played 1 or should I wait with it till I played three, so that I am able to fulfil my duty the best I can?

Thank you for every answer!

The Fool
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

easyly go with 1. so much better than 3 and it's not as long as 3. 3 does have a good story but in the begining it's really boring, not like 1. but those are just my opions.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Kendo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Buff. Suikoden 1 is much better than suikoden 3. The length does not bother me. I like long games. Suikoden 1 has a better story, but I enjoy the runes better in s3.
The reason to pick s3 before s1 would be Yuber hehe
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the practical side, if you are indeed doing something that needs knowledge of Zexen, then simply play Suikoden III first.

I could not recall anything that is connected to the first Suikoden in Suikoden III except one particular theater script, so you will not "lose some good ideas or information" just because you have not played the first. Most references in Suikoden III are about Suikoden II anyway. The theater script would be funnier if you have played the first, though.

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I much prefer Suikoden I, sometimes even more than Suikoden II. It's an immensely enjoyable game, and is not at all time-consuming or overly difficult. However, as Scrooge said, Suikoden III will tell you infinitely more about Zexen while spoiling next to nothing about Suikoden I. However, if you play III first, I strongly recommend abstaining from the theater play until you beat I. The play, you see, is a somewhat... tweaked account of Suikoden I's ending.

Another thing to take into account is how much time you have to devote to your game. Suikoden III is about four times as long as Suikoden I. If you don't have much time now but will later, you should probably play Suikoden I first. On the other hand, if there are going to be more demands on your time in the future, you might want to go with Suikoden III first.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say Suikoden III is the superior game, but for continuity reasons, I would play Suikoden I and then III so you can see the start of that specific time line.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At first I want to thank you all.

About the references: Are there real ones in III? Not only Tuta is popping uo or something. Do they they stuff like "I remember how this was done with the help of..." and "in the past I have done..." You know what I mean? That would be really cool.
About the time: I think I am able to play 3 or 4 hours a day, right after work. Is this considered as much time or not?

The Fool
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tuta actually mentioned something about his past. I am quite sure that Lucia also said something to the extent of "When I was younger..."
A certain character also said something related to Tir and Riou. I don't remember if Apple said anything, though.

Ah yes, I just remember that there are actually two characters from the first Suikoden referenced in Suikoden III. There are minor characters, though.

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess you should play 3. If you really want to get more info about your nation. In the end Suikoden 3 is better than Suikoden 1 for me. When I played it for the first times I thought 1 was better, but after the second gameplay I change my mind.

So yeah, you should play Suiko 3 first.

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay guys, I heard your opinions and it was difficult after all so at the end I've trown a coin. Poor, or what? Suikoden III was the winner and I'm not unhappy with the "choice". Nevertheless your tipps and opinions were worthfull for me, so thanks again (I can't say this too often).

Now I have started with Chris chapter and I am satisfied. Yesterday wasn't that much time and I am just back to my capital after destroying the village. I'n not into the battle system right now. It doesn't feel right, but I think I will get used to it. I still don't know how the pair system works and the running and double hitting during a battle is odd, but there could lie a depth I am not expecting right now.

If someone wants to say a hint I would probably miss or a trick to get a new character to recruit which I would overlook by chance, feel free to tell me so ;)

It's rather stupid to ask for advice and then do the opposite thing, isn't it? So I made what you suggested an played Suikoden at first (after two chapters of Suikoden III). I think I have to play only two or three hours to beat the game and that mainly because I have only about 83 or so characters recruited...

The Fool
Rin.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They never released suikoden 3 in the UK, which sucked.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's absolutely true. It wasn't released in europe at all. I have decided to modify my PS2 in order to play the game. I could have done that three years ago, but back then I wasn't really sure if my knowledge of the english language would be enough to beat a whole game, especially a RPG...

The Fool
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would also suggest that you play Suikoden I first, if only for continuity's sake. It probably does help to see the timeline origins of Luc and Yuber, and a couple of the other characters who return in III, before playing through it. Of course, if you already know most of the story, and are comfortable with skipping Suikoden I, I would say that Suikoden III is definitely the better game.

Suikoden I is short, and easy, however...so it probably wouldn't take you much time to blitz through it. Suikoden III is considerably longer, and I would consider it to be a bit more difficult than I, if only because you don't get the Soul Eater...but none of the Suikoden games are terribly hard.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played suikoden III first, and then Suikoden I. So I can say from exprience that playing Suikoden III first, gave me a lot of respect for Suikoden I. It was also cool to see charaters from suikoden III in suikoden I. So I say, play III first.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there was only 3 characters from 3 that was in 1. futch, apple and luc. i say it's more fun to watch them grow up going from 1-3, then seeing them backtract from 3-1. plus you get a better idea on those 3 character if you play 1 then 2 and then 3, instead of just from 3 down to 1.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: