Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Biggest dissapointments and let downs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Rune2RuleThemAll

270 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Biggest dissapointments and let downs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1

- Not being able to recruit Teo into the Liberation Army, I was just waiting for a Father-Son unite.

- that crappy lake castle(it was cool at the time, but after Suikoden II, its hideous in retrospect)

- not being able to read cleo's diary, must of been hiding the late nights with Pahn :) )

- not being able to fight Yuber

- not being able to fight Windy, I was hoping to kick some evil twin sisters ass

- Gremio being brought back to life. I hated him for the simple fact he was gay, and more than likley molested poor Tir as a child.

Suikoden II

- not being able to fight Yuber....again, I was pissed, I just knew we were going to get down in Green Hill, then he leaves a friggin fossil for us to fight :evil:

- not getting a true rune exactly, but some component of one, then it was the crappy Bright Shield Rune component. Why couldn't we have gotten the Black Sword Rune component? When we got to see it in real action at Rockaxe I was highly pissed.

- not being able to explore the whole Gregminster area, I would love to have seen Rockland and Lenankamp in suikoden II.

- not being able to see the city of L'Renouille. I mean come on, we only get to see the Palace!? The city looked massive from the outside, I couldn't wait to explore it....let down again

- not getting to see the Blue Moon Rune in action. As soon as Sierra got the Blue Moon Rune from Nelcord, I just knew we finally get to see what this baby can do. Needless to say when I saw only the Darkness Rune in her slots I was very disappointed. I mean it must have some kind of offensive power right?

Suikoden III

- three POV's, I hated it at first, but it kinda grew on me, but I was let down it strayed away from the 1 silent hero POV

- the pair battle system, what was that crap about!! Why doesn't anyone learn from the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I don't recall many complaints on the battle systems from I or II

- chanting before casting a spell. Pure head ache, I admit it added a little extra challenge but, come on!, two full rounds before you could cast on some spells!! Trash.

- A house instead of a castle. Who's idea was that! But the fact that I got to fight Yuber and kicked his ass made up for it :D

-......but he sucked, the almighty Yuber was a push over....to me anyways after two games of waiting :evil:

Suikoden IV

- Suikoden IV :(

maybe Suikoden V wont need a section, let us pray
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

really the only dissaointment i really have was the lack of storyline for suikoden 4. the ending was the worst ending in suikoden series i think.

well for suikoden 3 it was the battle system. hell you can kill your own people if you use a fire rune, how dumb is that.

Quote:
not getting a true rune exactly, but some component of one, then it was the crappy Bright Shield Rune component. Why couldn't we have gotten the Black Sword Rune component? When we got to see it in real action at Rockaxe I was highly *beep*.

only reason why riou didn't get the black sword rune was mainly due to genkaku having the bright shield. ya they could of switch it but i find the bright shield rune was better suited for riou than the black sword.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For one... the whole Gremio thing inspired my hatred of him, you know, bad character that must be in the party? Besides Gremio was so... weird... that he might be gay and not know it yet... that's where my whole Gremio album idea came from... check it out it's on this board. Like ten people have sent me messages telling how awesome they think it is.

Other things in Suiko 1 that bothered me that weren't mentioned... I wanted to use Joshua's Dragon Rune... and I think that there should've been a couple more areas to explore, actually, apply this to ALL suikodens... 'cept two and maybe five, I ain't done with that yet, and midterms and papers are slowing my progress through it.

The BIGGEST FLAW in suikoden one was the ONE RUNE... where Kasumi and Stallion (others too) had MPs that they COULD NOT USE... ok, said it.

Not alot bothered me in two... I liked the character variety for the most part... and like a million new runes appeared (suikoden 5 has this feel too, so far).

Suikoden three is a mixed bag for me... some of it is extremely innovative, some of it is irritating. For example, strategy battles. I like how you could level up your own characters (believe me, S3 gave you plenty of built up characters, anyway) with their own equipment / runes to fight as units in your strategy battles. I liked this innovation, my friend hated it... like I said, mixed bag.

Also, what's up with character's dying and taking up space on my tablet? Both Yun and Jimba need to step off... they could've easily been 'plot devices' instead of 108, how can you have all 108 if TWO ARE DEAD BEFORE THE END? Besides the fact that 4 of them were actually your enemies... mixed bag.

Also, the characters were interesting in suikoden 3, which is more than I can say for four... alot of them really stood out, but some of them, like the dead ones, and Kenji (the worst suikoden character ever) spent alot of time not doing anything, and Landis surely caused EVERYONE headaches despite being awesome... come on there was no clue to find him... it was all random.

Buddy system was more innovative than useful, but I respect Konami for being different, but the "chant" thing really messed up the gameplay, thankfully it also worked against your enemies too *coughSarahcough*... it can even save your ass.

Suikoden four bothered me so much (many, many things wrong) I never did complete it... moving on.

So far, five has everything I hoped Suikoden 4 would have... better characters, alot more runes, world map, situations that I can care about... and no treasure hunt "minigame".

Saruzin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree so much with Suikoden 3 being a mixed bag as I was never sure if I liked it or not I think I liked the characters and story better than the gameplay as SI and SII clearly beat it out there SII had strong characters far stronger than I but three really held its own. I often like to say that SIII is a good game in its own right but as a Suikoden its sumwhat weak but thas due to SI and SII having soo many similarities. I too applaud SIII for being different but some people dont want change.

Let downs:

Suikoden I
-Odessa I totally thought Odessa would stay awhile
-Single Rune slot
-Gremio not being better, why cant we have a good character stay with us
-Not having Joshua use the Dragon Rune
-Fighting Barbarossa instead of Windy

Suikoden II
-Though it adds so much depth to the story, Jowy not being on your side
-Elza not being a star
-Solon Jhee not lasting longer
-Not exploring more of Gregminster

Suikoden III
-reappearance of only six characters when SII had about 30
-Yuber's power
-having 3 instead 6 choices in battle
-Chris wearing armor again
-Thomas not being the Flame Champion

-There is neither a more trustworthy ally nor fearsome foe than you, Your Highness
- Shula Valya

-Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie - Shu
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Suikoden IV

- Suikoden IV

maybe Suikoden V wont need a section, let us pray

[Suikoden V info]See I don't like the battle system in V, real time is too annoying. After the fight everyone scatters, you can't select all of your troops at once. I just don't like real time.[/Suikoden V info]
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[Suikoden V info]yeah, I played enough of suikoden 5 so far to get bothered with the strategy battles.

I have had units get trapped and killed very cheaply because they constantly run into the walls instead of away from the enemies.

also, I can't command some units because I keep getting pulled into battles where my others units are... the ship and land simo-battles are where this really really bothered me.

At least I haven't had a character die yet... I don't know if it's possible.

I am also already getting tired of the unskippable scenes of units attacking each others... it would be nice to turn that off because after seeing it some 20x in the same battle, it just gets tiresome.
[/Suikoden V Info]

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I:
-Odessa: Though Suikoden has never exactly been lacking in Strong, leading women, to see such a brilliant example of one go before the end was rather sad.

-Gremio's Death: I'm always disappointed when a character I enjoy dies, but my favourite character? Distress! But by... spores? If it wasn't so sad and such a weighty sacrifice it would be humorous.

-Gremio's Return: I know, I just said his death was disapopinting but this also irked me. The fact that life is such a fragile thing and that death is so permanent is responsible for large part of the romanticism associated with self sacrifice. Now I realize he didn't know that he would be making a return, it's just it does something to the principal of it all. In this case I suppose because it can only happen once and because I loved the character it wasn't tremendously untoward.

Suikoden II:

-L'Renouille: This was just plain mean of them.

-How hard it was to travel to Gregminster and Rokkaku: Teleportation would have been excellent.

-That you don't get to use Jowy for long: I know that it is plot related and all and I don't wish he would have a different decision, I just really enjoyed him in my party.

-Lack of Nanami: Don't you hate it when your strongest character suddenly becomes unusable for the rest of the game?

-Lack of Gremio: So close but... no luck. I'd take him over Tir any day. Even better would have been the two of them. Ah well, at least he gives you soup.

Suikoden III:
-No Sasarai Viewpoint: I was expecting this after Thomas opened up. He seems like such an interesting character.

-Dog limits: I actually enjoyed playing with Koroku, but think how much more fun it would have been if you could have left the castle! Perhaps taking the other dogs out for a trip with you? I know we have feral packs of dogs around here, it's not that uncommon.

Suikoden IV:
-...I'll just say that there were several things I really wasn't fond of and leave it at that.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Guys, no Suikoden V info outside it's forum, OK?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I-
One rune slot. This is a given.
The lack of an entourage, so forced characters are really FORCED. Isn't there a short while where your party gets completely locked?

Suikoden II-
Riou has no personality. He is basically just a doormat to be pushed around, and a decoy so people will kill him instead of Shu.
Speaking of Shu... SHU. Everything about him irks me. You're supposed to be the leader, right? Why did they write this game so that he spends all his time slapping you about, ordering you around, and leaving you out of decisions? Shu's the one in charge, and the game made that clear.

Suikoden III-
This game is just too short. I love it, but it's short.
The landscape! When you're engaging on battlefields reminscent of Napoleonic Europe, you don't have much in the way of wiggle-room for battlefield strategy. That's why I want to see Caesar and Albert again, because I KNOW they've got more to show off than what we've seen.

Suikoden IV-
That the whole game is like watching a dear friend get his teeth punched down his throat.

[Suikoden V info]Suikoden V-
Why the crap are Chikai and ChiwhateverApplewas the Strategist's bodyguards, and not the Strategist's rival and aide like in Suikoden 1-3? I expected this out of Suikoden IV, but this game isn't horrible.
A lot of the characters are intentionally obtuse to recruit.
Inventory clutter is a real problem, I've found.
[/SuikodenVinfo]

Again, please do not post Suikoden V information outside of it's forum.
Janus Valentine

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I

- I can't really point out anything that really annoyed me at the time. I'd say having mandatory characters for the final dungeon (Flik/Viktor) but I used them anyway.

Suikoden II

- Not being able to see Bright after he hatched. They could have atleast put him in the castle somewhere :(.

- Nanami joining my party all the time. I wasn't a fan =/

Suikoden III

- The pairing battle system really limited my item/rune use, which I wasn't too particularly fond of.

- My inventory seemed to keep getting filled up with the same old useless armour

- Didn't get Sasarai until the very end of the game and only usable for 1/2 (at best) story bosses. His true earth is only usable for one of those battles.

- If I select a monster to be attacked, I expect that particular monster to be attacked. Not the one to it's right, or the one in front of it. That monster.

Suikoden IV

- Didn't really find any characters likable. Lacked personality.

- Everybody and their mother uses a sword. I know swords are a very popular weapon in the rest of the games but it just really annoyed me in this game.

- 4 people to a party

- Voice acting (not looking forward to this on V either)

- I never found The Rune Of Punishment useful, and barely ever used it

- The Ship was really dark and didn't feel as "basey" as the previous hqs.
Nekomancer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah! I forgot about Mike! I was really looking forward to some explanation about his actions but one never came. It's really too bad, he seemed so queer.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I

Nothing...

Suikoden II

Riou's Rune, and the "war system."

Suikoden III

The magic system, no Tir... okay I know it's stupid but his rune is the rockage.

Suikdoen VI

Lazlo's rune, Too fast.

Suikoden V

N-O-T-H-I-N-G

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:

Suikoden II

i liked the war system and his rune. what was wrong with them?

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
Username wrote:

Suikoden II

i liked the war system and his rune. what was wrong with them?

Felt really weak compared to the overly powerful Souleater for the first one. Like Lazlo's rune it only shows it's true power late in the game with the final spell, and it felt like you were being ripped off when you got to play with Jowy's rune. The battle system for two was just too restrictive. Had there been some option to play it in a free mode (like in IV) I'd liked it much more. It was great and all but they just never let you really enjoy it.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Riou's rune was great. He was an excellent healer, and the "Battle Oath" spell is one of my favorite spells from all the Suikodens.

Suikoden I

-Great game, although I felt it was a little unrefined compared to Suikoden II.

-One rune slot--that blew.

Suikoden II

-I loved everything about this game.

Suikoden III

-The HQ was very dissappointing.

-The war battles were okay, but not as fun as Suikoden II. Also, they lost some of that "epic scale" that the previous games had.

-Awful music for the most part, and bouts of silent periods for "effect," though it mostly just served to emotionally detach the player.

Suikoden IV

-All previous Suikoden flaws were minor, but this is the first one that had serious issues.

-Plot was rushed and things didn't always make sense. And further, many of the characters had stupid reasons for joining. It really killed me to watch a plot with so much potential be ruined.

-The four member parties were a really bad idea.

-The lack of runes. I found that particularly annoying.

-The war battles were god-awful and way too easy. I know it was a fresh idea and all that, but that can only take you so far.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: