Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What team/formation are you using? Battle system tactics thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberPendragon

40855 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm Currently on my first playthru, 28hrs in. I dun have a lot of people to choose from, but I like my current team so far:
Hero4, Lyon, Kyle, Nikea, Sialeeds & Lorelei. Kyle and Sialeeds are my magic dealers (and Lorelei to a lesser degree) My team is pretty well balanced with not a lot of weaknesses. I've also used Zweig and Logg with a fair amount of success. I just got my Caslte not to long ago though, so I hope to recruit and check out more people. Right now I switch between the Cross Formation and the Hungry Wolf formation a lot, due to their stat bonuses and in Cross usually only Hero4 takes any damage (I keep him in front).

God Save The Queen!

R.I.P. Harmonia-Online
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tiger (two pyramid formations stacked on top of each other). Forces most enemies to attck the very front person, where I will usually put a short-ranged tank with a Violence Rune to fend them off. Always have Fury by the second turn.

Yahr (Violence, Angry Dragon)
Hero V (Dawn, Double-Edged, Fury)
Lyon (Double-Edged, Boost)
Zweig (Rage, Double-Edged)
Zerase (Star, Sunbeam, Shield)
--Empty--

That empty slot originally had Roy with a Condemnation, but he was the weakest link in my party.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:
That's interesting Melange, I did that at times, but not as active as you were. I did find that as your levels increased, the formation special stat bonuses were less and less of a factor (-5 DEF? who cares right). I should have been more active in changing my formations to avoid rank and file attacks. Especially since you don't waste a turn making the change.

Well I think the 'happy medium' formation to go for if you want to avoid rank/file/area attacks without bothering to switch too much is the "Crane Wing" (I don't know what the english name is) formation.

O____O
_O__O_
__OO__

Your characters are nicely spread out so an area attack doesn't swallow up as many characters, file attacks hit only one character like in the True Men formation, rank attacks hit only two people plus it gives bonuses to speed, accuracy and technique. Also I find that the range placements switch nicely into the Sorcery and Dream formation setups I like to have.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see I've got the sorcery formation active with:
  • Belcoot up front parrying away and countering.
  • Then Isabel because she looks cool and is a decent attacker but she gets swapped out for Georg whenever I have him (and maybe if I find another decent character)
  • Next up is Kyle as my main healer but he can take some damage and dish some out too.
  • The we have the Hero V and Lyon combo.
  • And Lastly it's my mage (Zerase/Jeane) who thanks to the Sorcery Tactic can get one guaranteed double cast per battle plus an extra 20 MAG.

• In my entrouge I have the mage that I'm not using.
  • Lorelai with her Treasure Hunting skill and decked out in Prosperity gear.
  • A support, usually Egbert for more potch.
  • And a free slot for anybody I need.

Random encounters don't really stand a chance and this party got me through Doraat encounters (enough to get 600 000 potch) without healing Belcoot (had to heal Lyon and the Hero though because the crossbowmen kept targeting them).
Xelinis

2985 Potch
0 Soldiers
21837 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a constant user of Tiger with this formation:

Aros (Hero)
Richard
Logg
Lyon
Viki
Zerase

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lesse... I use the Tiger and Hungry wolf formations mostly, depending on how much Short range fighters I have on my team. Currently I have Tiger formation and my team is...

Shigure
Chumpy (Hero)
Lyon
Sorensen
Viki
Muroon
Alarice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My current party so far:

Shigure and Richard- My primary powerhouses. I equipped them with agility and technique skills and they usually attack multiple times while doing tons of damage in the process, as well as evade/parry and counterattack most of the time. I also gave them accessories that boost their attack. Both have Draining Runes to so recover any lost HP whenever they attack.

Hero - My main healer and secondary attacker. Gave him the Flowing Rune.

Lyon - Secondary attacker. I really don't find her as appealing as Miakis so whenever she leaves my party I won't really care that much.

Lorelai - Eh, I only really use her because I find her appealing. I hope to have Miakis take her place once she joins my party.

Kyle - Secondary attacker and healer.

Support: Pretty much all my mages.

Zerase - Star, Resurrection, and Magic Drain.

Viki - Blinking, and Lightning Rune

Josephine - Red Rose and Fire Rune

Marina - Recover lost HP after each round.

I mostly use the True Men formation for the extra boost in attack power. I pretty much keep all the attackers in the front lines to deal with regular enemies and the majority of the time Shigure and Richard obliterate any opposition that I come across. Whatever enemy left standing are finished off by the rest of my party.

When things get too hot and heavy I'll switch to that one formation (Forget what it's called; The one where it adds +20 magic to the rearguard) and substitute my mages for some full-blown magic attacks or to heal my party.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just before the battle against Hatred Fortress, and here's my current line-up

Hero (Dawn Rune)
Lyon
Josephine (Red Rose Rune, Fire Rune)
Cornelio (Water Rune- probably changing to something else...)
Viki (Water Rune)
Shigure

Probably switching a few around here and there, and my formation is Double Arm...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mine looks a little like this. I use the Striking Arrow formation, just because. I like the way it looks.

Belcoot or Richard take point.
On each side of Belcoot/Richard are Kyle and either Isabel or Roy.
Behind them are Lorelai and the Hero.
In the middle of the formation I put Bernadette, who I have doing the healing.

I didn't really pick my party based on combat prowess (although they're certainly not Logg) but rather, just personal preference.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wouldn't it be better to give Bernadette an offensive magic rune since you already have Kyle in the party?
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it is. Bernadette is also packing a Pale Gate Rune and a Magic Drain Rune to go with her Flowing Rune. However, I generally find that enemies die easily enough just by hitting them repeatedly that having one person occasionally throw out a heal works for me.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forum Poster wrote:
Not for everyone, but I use the True Men formation from time to time, especially during certain boss battles, where the formation skill, Elegy, can lay some serious hurt on the enemy party. This attack can often take out most of the enemy boss party at once. Make doubly sure your guys are tough enough to survive a round of enemy attacks, though.

I love that formation also. With the you can attack with everyone all at once skill. It's great.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Current party:

Sorcery formation
Belcoot at the head (amazing tank)
Ferashe bottom middle
Lyon upper middle
Nikea upper middle
Sialeeds bottom middle
Zerase at the tail

Entourage:

Egbert + Prosperity set armors = money galore
Murad
Lorelai

Sorcery formation increases the PDF for the person at the head of the party, while boosting magic stat for whoever's in the tail. Ideal for my party as Nikea and Lyon both have pretty good defense and they are on the outer part of the formation so it's like:

o
o o
o o
o

The enemies can't TOUCH Ferashe, Sialeeds, or Zerase unless they use archers or, possibly magic. Since Belcoot's such a good tank this is ideal. Nikea and Lyon can absorb damage alright as well. This is my favorite formation and party set up so far but I change my formations depending on the situation.

I've found I like every character I've used in battle so far. They are all interesting and many of them have unique or special runes to keep battles fresh. Josephine is by far my favorite narcist in the series. She's a very good battle character surprisingly. Belcoot is just not fair. He has ridiculous pdf, he's an AMAZING attacker, has great defense, parries almost every attack (even bosses)...he's the ultimate tank. Sometimes he does 3000 damage alone. ALONE. That's a physical attack with his special rune. In Suikoden II, you couldn't get more than like..2500 tops even if you used a rune! What the hell Belcoot!

Zerase has amazing magic defense and magic in general. She trumps Jeane in more ways than one (though, having both in your party at once is basically killer). Star Rune is insanity. If you have Sorcery Formation, it's skill lets you cast the same spell twice, but the second time it doesn't use up mp. If you use this with a level 4 spell it makes it even more unbalanced. And yet, there's more! There's a magic absorb rune that heals mp after being attack..including level 4 spells! All I have to do is put her in the front in a very defense heavy formation, have some enemy attack her, and get more mp! It's so totally broke it's great! Nikea, Dinn, Josephine, Sialeeds, Zerase, Jeane, Shigure, Lorelai, Zweig, Sagiri, Nakule, Alhazred, Cornelio...a very fine balance between tanks, melee, long ranged, magic based characters in this game and they're suprisingly all fun to play with.

This game is far from somewhat difficult now. It's totally borked! But it's fun that way...for SOME reason.

Jeane is very useful in this. She has a skill that lets you equip, unequip, and assemble runes right on the spot! Pretty handy if you ask me!
Crimson

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I just played a bit so I just got 3 formations
-Arrowhead
-Goose

anywhere else to loo for it??
Jibrille Hillbert

Lollers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's my party:

Prince (it's not the name I gave him, the name I gave him is Agito, but I doubt you care)
Lyon / Miakis
Belcoot
Richard
Shigure
Jeane

In support I have:
Edg... edg... I... don't remember his name. It's all the Filthy devils' fault ;_;"
Marina
Saigiri

As for the formation, I usually use the True Man one, but it depends on the situation and on the opponent I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: