Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

American Review thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe it will be the same for me as well. Like Sars said, I very rarely can find the will to replay an RPG all the way. Sure I often start a second run through, but get sidetracked and never finish. The only game i've ever played more than twice was Suikoden II. But with all the endings, choice, branches in V, I'd say it might take the record...

I thought that gamespy review was very good. The reviewer seems to be fan, but balanced--he wrote it in a way that both those familiar with the series or those not even familiar with rpgs in general could get a good sense of what to expect. So far the only "bad" review (and even it wasn't that bad) has been bepbos on gamebrink, and it was overly biased and less thought-out so i've sort of blocked that one out of my mind for now. It's really nice to be hearing all of this great stuff because I remember this time before Suiko IV was released all my hopes were dashed by negative comments being made...I tried to block them out, to pretend everyone was wrong, but lo and behold--they were right. Now i'm hoping everyone IS right.

I'm so glad I have almost nothign to do tomorrow, which is rare...as if all the stars aligned ( :*laugh*: ) just so I could immerse myself all day long in this game, of which I have been obsessing over like no game in a LONG time.
Magus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bbsting120 wrote:
So far the only "bad" review (and even it wasn't that bad) has been bepbos on gamebrink, and it was overly biased and less thought-out so i've sort of blocked that one out of my mind for now. It's really nice to be hearing all of this great stuff because I remember this time before Suiko IV was released all my hopes were dashed by negative comments being made...I tried to block them out, to pretend everyone was wrong, but lo and behold--they were right. Now i'm hoping everyone IS right.

Yeah Bebop's review was the only bad one that I saw, but that came off as a biased review. In my eyes he seemed like a fan who was upset that every suikoden game isn't like Suikoden I and II.

Win A Free Suikoden Game or Strategy Guide at Harmonia Online
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is true that the 2nd playthrough of V is really enjoyable. I finished mine yesterday and the cutscene and events pull even more on the heartstrings even though I knew what was going to happen. Also there are quite a few multiple paths which I didn't see the first time through because I made different choice and well... those blew me away.

The 2nd playthrough's strength is the story and the care they put into creating the web of relationships between characters it cos especially with the new game+ bonus the game itself really becomes very easy.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Magus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to also point out that I've never seen so many people complete a game and then start replaying it again so quickly. Suikoden V must be rather addictive.

Win A Free Suikoden Game or Strategy Guide at Harmonia Online
Wolf Parade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697234p1.html

IGN gave it an 8.2

Not a bad score, in between what they gave III and IV. The reviewer (not sure if it's self-proclaimed Suikoden fanboy Jeremy Dumham) spends way too much time complaining about the slow start. Other than that, promising review and a good score.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol Jeremy Dunham

Did he deduct points again because of no trinity sight system?
goodbye

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wolf Parade wrote:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697234p1.html
The reviewer (not sure if it's self-proclaimed Suikoden fanboy Jeremy Dumham)

IGN.com wrote:
Suikoden V
Konami's RPG series returns with enough corruption, political intrigue, genocide, and badass Rune magic to go around.
by Jeremy Dunham

Yes, it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My god, he reviewed it again? They need to get a better writer, seriously.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
My god, he reviewed it again? They need to get a better writer, seriously.

Why do you think so? Did he sound bias or something?
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, just curious, is this Jeremy Dunham biased against Suikoden? :roll:
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, Jeremey Dunham? He's a bit ...slow. His English skills have been routinely terrible, and this article is no exception. I cringed in the first paragraph and didn't stop until it was over. I really wish they would send him to a college grammar class.

I think the Suikoden community dislikes him because he claims to be it's biggest fan, but seems totally clueless - this is the guy who famously the guy who said Pesmerga was Tir McDohl, Tal was the main hero of SIV. And yes, he is the guy who was supposed to write the guy for the third game - but when he was late getting it in, the whole project evidently was scrapped.

He's probably a nice guy, but he doesn't seem to know much about the series, yet he claims he's it's world's biggest fanboy.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I can't stand him. I literally laughed when I saw that Suikoden V got a score only 3 points higher than IV. What a joke. Anybody can tell that V is clearly better than IV, if not only the graphics.

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gamespot has posted their review of Suikoden 5.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/suikoden5/index.html
It's also almost right in the middle of their ratings for III and IV. Even with my speed reading of the article, I thought the game should have been rated a bit higher because the review really doesn't say anything bad about the game. The only things they seem to touch upon in any manner are the bland environment and uneven voice acting.
KarmaConstable

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the conservativeness of reviewers in scoring Suikoden V. This game is leaps and bounds above IV, IMHO, and it's still only getting maybe one point higher? Are they saving up all the 'nines' and 'tens' for Kingdom Hearts 2 next week? Shadow Hearts 3 scored better, according to them...

The online sites I always thought were more generous to the Suikoden games. The mainstream magazines have yet to review... Five dollars "500 potch" says OPM slaughters the game for being slow-paced and not up-to-par graphically, and that EGM will, when they actually bother to review it, will spend about a paragraph on it and give it a 6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: