Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

American version impressions thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got 41 hours on the clock and I've barely had hq! I've left my ps2 on for quite a bit while going out or doing errands. I'm doing some recruiting now.

Huh? You can recruit the beavers? I've only recruited Miroon

I had tears in my eye when you (spoiler) saved Lordlake, poorguy. Tears of joy. That's never happened while playing a game before. I was so into the game, just literally ROOTING during that whole scene.

Is anyone buying armor? Goddamn is that shit expensive in this! I have bought hardly any armor in this game at all and it's making the game so difficult right now. Prince goes down in about 4 hits tops. I love this, as it makes it the most strategic Suikoden yet, you can't do random shit just to get by some of the normal monsters, but damn do I hate this armor thing. I wish all rpgs would just get rid of armor honestly. SMT has spoiled me.

Quote:
I am really suprised by how few party characters I have so far. The only reason I even have some of them (i.e. Richard) is because I went way off the beaten path. I really expected to have more than 20 party characters after 34+ hours of playtime. Maybe it is because I have spent so much time just exploring rather than actually progressing through the story.

Quote:
Naw, I felt the same way. They really really really make ya jump through hoops in this one to recruit characters. Giant, flaming, soaked in skin-burning acid kinda hoops.

I was going to write down a long list of all the characters I came accross that said, "I'd love to join your cause your highness, BUT ... outside circumstances prevent me from doing so/my boat is in the wrong location/my loyalty lies with Godwin/my loyalty lies with Barrows/I'm too stubborn/stuck in my ways/you just saved my life but I don't really feel like it/purple monkey dishwasher," and so on, however, I soon realized the list was friggin astronomical.

So now I'm just going through it, just to actually be able to say I went through the game at least once.

It doesn't have the Suikoden flow/feel/pacing where recruiting is concerned. A shame in a way, however, I know for some it gives more a feeling of accomplishment, however many times I found myself saying, "Come on, just give me one pity star! PLEASE!!!" ... but no dice.

In retrospect Suikoden III was too damn easy; you basically got 80% of the entire cast just playing through; the others were damn easy to find. Too easy. A happy medium are Suikoden and Suikoden II I feel; you got a good handfull playing through, you stumble into a good lot, and the others you can scope using Richmond. Suikoden IV was ... just too damn random. NPCs appearing out of nowhere and suddenly joining up for half baked reasons. But let us never speak of Suikoden IV again.

This would be one of my complaints with Suikoden V; maybe you were right Himuro; I think in trying to take all character development far/deep, they went a little overboard, and you have to work like a slave to recruit all the stars, because God forbid you miss a small part that tells you more about their background/character.

Anyone else feel the same way as him? I personally disagree as it makes recruiting so much more fun, going on sidequests in order to recruit them and such. And it's really not that hard, either, but it can be kind of annoying at times. I like that they gave every character a reason to fight, or something they personally grasp on to in order to join your cause.

btw, I would like to add that Belcoot is RIDICULOUS. That's not fair at all Belcoot! You're a cheater! Those poor monsters. ;_;
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He makes up for it by making me reset often in war battles. More than anyone else, he dies. (Which is odd, considering he has a fully sharpened weapon, the best armor of ANYONE, and and he's the highest leveled character.) STOP DYING BELCOOT.

Armor is expensive, but what really gets me is how absolutely poor everyone but the prince must be in Falena - all weapons are at level 1 for all my recruits thus far (LEVEL 1!), and all the armor is pretty bad. Going out with a new party means bankrupting the prince, usually.

Thank goodness for prosperity set + potch finder. :D

I like that everyone has a reason for joining you. I think other Suikodens made this a bit too easy, where people joined you just because you pressed X by them. Besides, most of the sidequests are simple - go through a 4 room dungeon, give someone permission to use your facilites, beat them in a game, duel them...It's not hard, IMO.

The only ones I don't like are where there's a strong amount of luck involved, like recruiting the apparaiser in Haud. At least you could buy a celedon urn if you were having really bad luck in Suikoden II.

And I think you should work to recruit the non-automatic stars. It's not necessary to get all 108 stars to play through the game, after-all.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How DO you recruit that guy in Haud?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You have to get his item-of-choice, in the tradition of Esmerelda, Jabba, and Lebrante.

In more detail: [recruitment spoiler]You have to get an Ivanov (remember him?) painting. You can get them from the robots in the revolving bridge, supposedly, but they're rare. Most of what you get will be grafitti. Go to Haud to have them appraised, and if you've got one, he'll supposedly start a dialogue, rather than the regular appraisal screen. If you get the shop screen, on GameFAQs I've read you can just go back out and come back and try again until you get it so long as you have a ? painting in your inventory, but I didn't try it, so I don't know if that's true or not. I still haven't been able to get him yet[/recruitment spoiler]

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It can be any "painting?"

Just take it to Haud and enter/leave the appraisal shop until you see Bastan. You'll have to actually speak with the appraiser each time to make sure it's Bashtan because the character model looks the same.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can go on the revolving bridge at the point I'm at in the game (Lelcar)? Does that mean I can go to Lunas and such as well?
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Umm, if I already appraised ?painting, where can I get another one?

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I can go on the revolving bridge at the point I'm at in the game (Lelcar)? Does that mean I can go to Lunas and such as well?

No it's part of a sidequest...you go inside the bridge via boat, but still cannot cross over it.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do I do this sidequest?
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Things are very pricey in this game and the monsters dont drop alot of money.I take some time out to level with a character wearing the parts of the prosperity set of armor that I've found so far to make alitle extra cash but most of the armor that I use has been found. I've kept most of my characters pretty well equipped the only exception being my magic users as they very rarely get touched in the back row and have very little use for weapons. The only problem I'm having right now is increasing my non-magic skills because Georg is the Combat teacher I've been able to find. I'm also still trying to fnd someone who will help me raise my "Epic" skills.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can get to Lunas though if you have the escape route support skill and go north west from Haud, recruit Zegai (where Lun and Logg where getting gold) and see the two elves. Plus if you go south along that path you fight 6 soldiers who drop Knight Runes, I'm not sure if its a guaranteed drop though.

EDIT: As for Epic skills you need to have the skills that it teaches at A rank to be able to learn it. ie. for Raging Lion epic you need to get Stamina to A and Attack to A to be able to start learning it.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do I get the escape route skill?
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The map maker has it and I think someone else does too.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rinfa has it.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Linfa in the american.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: