Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

voices/translation thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: voices/translation thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do we know who's playing who in the English version yet? Usually we know through IMDB or something but it doesn't have a listing yet.

What do you think of the voice acting? Is it possible to turn voices off like in Tactics?

From the English media we've witnessed, what do you all make of the dialouge?

Personally I find a lot of it cheesy, and I'm hoping the VA's don't ruin and otherwise good experience. Everyone seems annoying in the English version, with the exception of Lyon, Limsleia, Shoon, Sialeeds, Marscarl, Gizel, Georg, and Arshtat. Everyone else sounds annoying or aggravating to some degree. In Suikoden Tactics I turned off VA's, and I might..just MIGHT turn them off for SV. But in ST it was slow because the text box wouldn't continue unless the voice over was done talking.

Speaking of which, is it ossible to take the text box off the game's cutscenes? In the first trailer there were not text boxes.
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure I heard Crispin Freeman in there somewhere (I forget who), but his voice is pretty easy to recognise.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure David Blum is in there, since he's in every anime/game ever created that has voice acting.
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is no option to turn off the voices unless they program it into the English version which they probably won't (a lot of extra work).

The voices will never live up to their Japanese counterparts. However, I'm quite impressed with the fact that I only heard two voices that thus far have made me want to punch something - Lyon and Lymsleia/Limslair (depending on your spelling). Aside from that, I'm content enough with the voices of the characters. Of course, they really need to start finding a wider variety of good voice actors...

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So far I like the voice acting. Then again, I have no complaints against the LA VA pool. The voices seem to match the characters. Kyle sounds younger than I was expecting, but nobody sounds miscasted or obnoxious as of yet. The only complaint I have is that they didn't bother to synch the voice to the mouth flaps, at least on that video. They might have improved it by the final product though, since all it really involves is moving sound clips back and forth on a timeline.

If it comes down to that I'd rather they sound more natural then be slaves to the mouth flap anyway. If the dialog sounds goofy then it's the scripts fault. (However, I've seen plenty of movies with horrible scripts and dialog, and the trailer is already better than that. Thankfully.) As for comparing it to the japanese VA's, well, if I've never heard them then I can't get angry they don't sound the same, now can I? :)

Maybe I'm just getting far less critical in my old age. The script sounds fairly spot on though, the acting seems solid. I think I'll enjoy the voices.
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The script sounds fairly spot on though, the acting seems solid. I think I'll enjoy the voices.

I agree.

So far, everything sounds up to par. Can't really agree with the complaints I've been hearing in this thread and others. None of the voices came off as "cheesey" or annoying but maybe that's just me I guess.
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found Miakis and Lyon the most annoying out of them all and i don't even think any of the voices are annoying at all but i think Lyon and Miakis will get to people. Can't wait to hear Jeane's voice
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
i think Lyon and Miakis will get to people

They probably will but personally that's exactly how I imagined them to sound.

I was expecting something a lil bit different from Georg but it's actually pretty close to what I've expected since Suikoden 2.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the reason the English voices sound so "bad" to us is because were are so used to the Japanese voices. Had we heard these first, then the Japanese versions, we would probably be going on about how great these are.

Another problem is that Konami of American apparently tried to match the Japanese voices in many cases. Instead of trying to get such a high-pitched voice for Lyon, they should've just picked a really young but good actress. Still, I think Lyon and Limsleia sound really good in some spots, and pretty bad in some others. I don't mind them that much though (I'm sure I'll like their acting better once I actually hear it).

As for everything else, it's a real mixed bag. Some voices and translations are really awkward, but most of what I've heard so far is perfect. I absolutely LOVE the English Sialeeds, and I think our Arshtat and Zerase are actually better than Japan's versions (from what I've heard at least). The same goes for the lines. Some of the dialogue sounds really bad (like "super-fast" for the Dragonhorses), and some I like better than the translations we had from the Japanese versions. Hopefully, I will be just as satisfied by the full version of the game.

2985 Potch
0 Soldiers
21837 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, Zerase's english voice is PERFECT. I couldn't imagine a better voice for her.

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Xelinis wrote:
In my opinion, Zerase's english voice is PERFECT. I couldn't imagine a better voice for her.

Indeed. I liked the ambiguity (Is she good? Evil? Neutral?) of her in that trailer. Kind of sucks though that She is the character that's been spoiled for me the most..I really did not want to know anything about her before playing this game.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm pretty sure David Blum is in there, since he's in every anime/game ever created that has voice acting.

You mean Steven J Blum aka David Lucas? I heard he voiced Pirate Brandeau in Suikoden IV, he's a good voice actor, Helmut's voice sounded like Kenshin's voice and Dauragon C Mikado's voice actor..

I hope Crispin Freeman is a possible voice actor, he's also great.
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What was the name of the guy who did Lino's voice?

Hopefully He's lending his voice to another character in Suikoden V. He's pretty smooth.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Marscal's voice sounds like Glenn Cott from Suikoden IV..
Kira Yamato

Dragon Army

7000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Steven Blum voicing character in Suikoden V? Now THAT would rock. He's one hell of an actor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: