Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I hope the Suikoden Franchise doesen't die & Ps3 discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heroic Knight 3211

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think suikoden 6 will come out on ps3 and maybe on xbox360 not on Nintendo.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Future Suikodens will more than likely come out on the Playstation 3. In Japan (where Suikoden is most popular), the Xbox 360 is all but dead on arrival, and I don't think nintendo is really looked at as anything more than a nostalgic factor. I don't think either the Xbox or GameCube sold nearly so much as the ps2, and I don't think the revolution or the Xbox 360 will sell as well as the PS3 either.

I also think it's to early to say it's doomed to be a flop. Though Konami really needs to stop releasing their big games against Squenix titles (who have been hyped up forever). Wait until the sales come in before prophetising doom. (DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gamecube sold about 21 million worldwide,
mostly in Japan.

X-Box sold about 23 million worldwide,
but almost entirely in the US.

On top of that, in Japan, the X-Box 360 is currently outsold,
on a regular basis, by the Gamecube.

Thats right...Gamecube outsells the 360 in Japan.

RPGs in general, and Suikoden in particular have their biggest fan bases in Japan.

So there is really no reason for Konami to jump ship to X-Box.

As for Sony?

Well, over 100 million PS2's versus a COMBINED 45 million or so X-Box and GCs...

Basically, the installed base of the Playstation is MUCH higher than Nintendo or Microsoft.

While Nintendo's Revolution could possibly do MUCH better than Gamecube,
it is more or less designed around innovation and new ideas.

Suikoden is about as traditional an rpg as it gets in terms of interface,
and there is no real reason to jump ship for Konami.

That being said...A port of Suikoden 6 to 360, and perhaps an all new game, or an enhanced port to the Revolution, would be fine additions to what will almost certainly be a PS3 centered game.

It just doesn't make sense to do much else.

Also, as of right not, it had been stated that the Revolution will hit America before Thanksgiving. And Sony claims to be planning a worldwide-ish launch around November 11th.

None of that is set in stone, but thats the most recent info.

On a continued life for Suikoden....

The Suikoden series has never been about graphical or technical innovation.
As such, the games generally remain cost effective for Konami to produce.

If PS3 is too expensive, the Nintendo Revolution would be very appealing.
The X-Box will likely be much closer to the PS3 in development costs,
and it will almost certainly have a MUCH smaller audience.

So, as far as I am concerned, that makes a Suikoden 6 very likely,
and its place on Playstation similarly assured.

However, it could be a pass over to the Revolution, depending on how well it sells,
and how inexpensive the development is.

X-Box probably won't get any play fromt he series, but an inexpensive port is possible.

Personally, despite my own preference for the Revolution,
I think a Suikoden release on all platforms...ESPECIALLY THE DS,
which is cheap to develop for and could do very nice sprite based graphics,
would be the best thing for the series.

But I expect a simple PS3 only game.

...man that was alot longer than I had planned.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, Suikoden would be better suited to going to the PS3. The oringal Xbox was not heavy with RPG titles, and it looks like the 360 is'nt going to be anything different. Nintendo I think still has a good sized fanbase in Japan, and a moderate one in the US but again I don't see Suikoden going over to the Revolution.

The problem I see with Konami jumping to a another platform is that there would be no marketing for it. Let's say that for some reason Konami ports Suikoden 6 to the Revolution, I doubt there will be alot of the fans going over to the Revoultion for it. Also Konami has'nt been very confident marketing-wise on the PS2 so to go try to garner a bigger fanbase on another console for Suikoden would be impossible because there would'nt be alot of advertsising for the games.

To summarize, I think Suikoden is best to staying on the PS2 and going to the PS3. If only Konami starts putting up more marketing skills in the Suikoden franchise, then all this talk of Suikoden flopping sales-wise would stop. I hope I made sense. :P
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whats the difference with the Blue ray disc format?
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see no reason for Konami or Suikoden to leave the PS2. Konami is all about adding little value things to its games, i.e. Psycho Mantis in MGS reads your memory card and tells you what other Konami games you play, combine that with the Suikoden efforts to create a stand alone world shown in snippets with data transfer often offered, this means jumping platforms would be a serious move for them and they'd be snobbing a lot of their fanbase.

Gamecube/Revolution... Nintendo has had some awesome games like the upcoming Zelda and Resident Evil, that show the Nintendo systems are not necessarily just for kiddy games, there is no denying the power and prowess of these systems yet they time and again are outsold due to the games and franchises that Sony has.

Will there be Suikoden VI..? I consider it likely. Will it be in PS3? If it is created I seriously dont think there is any other console it could be on.

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another point I'd like to add in. With all the new technology that's going to be into the next-gen consoles (the blu-ray disc in the PS3), it'd be very costly to have a game be multi-platform. IN Suikoden's case, I don't see Konami trying to make it a mutli-platform game because of the added costs.
Prophecy

Local Ruffians!!!!

60970 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

exactly, someone here mentioned the fanbase. You have to keep in acount that alot of people bought PS2 solely for the RPG's,, and even PS1. So to switch consoles would hurt the profit considerably. They'd lose so much money, which would suck..

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Knight Miklotov wrote:
Frankly, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Konami dumps Sony after Suiko V. The way things are going with the PS3, make it an unwelcome platform to begin with. Plus, the PS3's target audience and the would-be audience of another Suikoden game are two different entities.

What're you talking about? Most jrpg fans are in the Sony camp.
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though the sales of Suikoden V aren't as great as KH2 and other such games, Suikoden is still a popular series. And there are many, MANY fans all over the world, so there is no way that Konami would just stop the series dead in its tracks right now. And from Sars' review on Suikoden V, it looks like the series isn't going anywhere.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. There's so many explanation for Konami to do in Suikoden and they cannot just die down leaving us scratching our heads speculating.

As for the console issue, we'll leave by the time all the next-gen consoles begin to compete.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:
I see no reason for Konami or Suikoden to leave the PS2. Konami is all about adding little value things to its games, i.e. Psycho Mantis in MGS reads your memory card and tells you what other Konami games you play, combine that with the Suikoden efforts to create a stand alone world shown in snippets with data transfer often offered, this means jumping platforms would be a serious move for them and they'd be snobbing a lot of their fanbase.

That reminds me, Suikoden VI can't have data transfer. The PS3 doesn't have slots for PS1/2 memory cards, so it can't read their data. (New PS1/2 saves are saved on the hard drive / memory stick).

I think it's pretty obvious that Suikoden VI will come on the PS3. Look at Suikoden, a new property and a new franchise, an RPG no less, published on the then-fledglings PlayStation and Saturn. The PlayStation version sold well enough to warrant a sequel, and it's with Suikoden II that the series was really born. (At the time of Suikoden, the developers had no definite plans of a sequel.) The Suikodens have been selling pretty much the same from game to game, and those sales have been enough for the sequels and even spinoffs to keep coming. Konami has a profitable, well-established RPG franchise now with Suikoden, and they aren't going to kill it off.

Maybe it'll take a while to get a PS3 Suikoden, with the last PS2 iteration just out and the adaptation time to the next gen. Say... 2008 or 2009? In the meantime, it's possible that we'll see a handheld Suikoden or a spinoff, now that Konami has opened the doors for that with Suikoden I & II on the PSP. A Suikogaiden adventure game with the Nintendo DS stylus, like Trace Memory? Who knows.
Magus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I know the Suikoden fanbase has never been all that large. I think that if Konami expected big sales from the series, they likely would have canned the series long ago. Right now their main priority seems to be putting out quality games for the series.

Win A Free Suikoden Game or Strategy Guide at Harmonia Online
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why do Suikoden fans have this discussion every single time a Suikoden game comes out? If the series hasn't died after the sales of I, II, IV and Rahps it's probably not going to die. EVER (at least until the series is concluded). Plus I think Suikoden V will have criticle success here in the states so that that helps things a bit.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken there were already talks of the future of the series in interviews with Kawano. She said that Suikoden games only on the Sony formats have been not been on purpose and that they may have interest in putting a game on the revolution (can't remember where the interview was). Plus she had a statement long ago when Suikoden V was barely announced that she was looking to new people to work on the series.

So all in all, the suikoden series isn't going anywhere.
Skooboi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

skymansxeno wrote:
Why do Suikoden fans have this discussion every single time a Suikoden game comes out? If the series hasn't died after the sales of I, II, IV and Rahps it's probably not going to die. EVER (at least until the series is concluded). Plus I think Suikoden V will have criticle success here in the states so that that helps things a bit.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken there were already talks of the future of the series in interviews with Kawano. She said that Suikoden games only on the Sony formats have been not been on purpose and that they may have interest in putting a game on the revolution (can't remember where the interview was). Plus she had a statement long ago when Suikoden V was barely announced that she was looking to new people to work on the series.

So all in all, the suikoden series isn't going anywhere.

Agreed, the likely-hood of seeing Suikoden on the 360 isn't high. The problem is that the userbase for the system is very low and isn't selling very well in Japan. Other issues include that the system makes use of a dvd drive instead of a next-gen drive so space is extremely limited. In order for Konami to feel like the port is worth it then they need a sizeable base. I also doubt that a Suikoden would make it to the Revolution, simply because of the innovation the controller brings.

So yea Suikoden is best fitted for the PS3 and all its Backwards-capable glory. Did anyone hear that PS3 will have the ability to download old PSone and PStwo games? Classics like Suikoden I and Suikoden II, Tobal No. 2 etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: