Suikoden Unique and Irrational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sars' Suikoden V Review (Spoiler-free)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad to hear this all.

I still anxiously await a sequel to Suikoden 3(my favorite game in the series)
and I never felt a desire to "go back" to Suikoden 1 and 2,
but this review seems to reiterate the idea that story and character
have once again become centers of importance for the game.

For me the "feel" of Suikoden will always be based on those two elements,
and this review makes me very confident in the job done toward that end.

I took the advice of avoiding any spoilers, and I'm glad I did.

Great job SARS, as always.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dr. Chaos wrote:
One final question if I may? How balanced is the True rune the Prince will inevitably find himself armed with? Is it a much needed improvement over the disappointedly underpowered Rune of Punishment? I guess what I'm trying to say is does your rune in this game actually feel like a true rune this time around?

And I almost forgot (being the ungrateful bastard I am), thanks for the review as always.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS: The Prince doesn't get a True Rune, or even part of one, in this game. He gets the Dawn Rune, which is simply subservient to the Sun Rune. Personally, I was a little disappointed to hear this, but I'm hoping things turn out better in the actual game.

Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed the game so much Sars! Did you enjoy it more than Suikoden or Suikoden II? Or is it more on par with them. Regardless, I really hope we'll finally get a Suikoden that the fans can agree on as the "best Suikoden game." I can already tell it will be one of my favorites.

I'm also glad to hear, as I said at GameFAQs, that the only real problems are technical issues. Those have never bugged me, and shouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. I sincerely hope that this game gets some good reviews from the media. I see no reasons to give it low scores in the graphics, gameplay, story, sound, and definitely not the replay value areas, so I'm expecting at least lots of 8s (hoping for lots of 9s).

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only thing i care about really, after playing suikoden iii and iv, is does it in fact give the feeling of 1 and 2, and in what ways does it re-capture it.
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, we almost had some happy tears there people. I'm so happy and relieved and... Oh, I can't wait to play it. Come on next week, get here already!
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you so much for the review Sars!
No spoilers even *hails*
I'm glad to hear this game is back up to our old standards, while I didn't have any issues with III really, I was less than impressed with IV.
I can't wait to get my hands on it!

The skill system seems really interesting, I'm excited to play around with it. From what I've seen of art I'm already pleased :)

-My DeviantArt-
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you for the very interesting review. It's awesome to feel all this excitement from true Suikoden fans.

Also, I want to apologize for being so absent from these forums: only recently I was able to play Suikoden 3 and I didn't want any spoiler. (Yeah, too bad I'm always late - now I must hurry to play IV!)
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm... Nice review.. Good that you threw out all the bad stuff first... Although i'm predicting i may be banging myself from the load time and the controls, but with this review, i'm pretty damn sure i'm gonna be enjoying all other aspects of the game especially the plot.

I'm glad that the strategist is effective. That was something i really needed. And what made this better would be... FINALLY! A SMART FEMALE!

Well, Elenor was as smart as a monkey... This Lucretia seems really damn promising... I am truely glad. The points you raised were exactly what drew me so deep into Suikoden. The excellent plotline drawing deep into politics, realistic emotions, twists and other stuff that will just make you go oooooh when you experience it. And the superb character development even for characters not necessary to the main plot. If Suikoden promises all these as spectacularly as you've promised, i most damn well will be enjoying it...
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just gave it the old read over.

Quote:
the controls within the item menu are somewhat awkward because they ask you for confirmation every time you use an item. What was bothersome for me is that the default setting is "don't use," which required that I move the cursor and then press on "yes" before I can finally use the "medicine 1" to heal 100 HP for one of my poorly beaten characters. In previous games, these extra steps were not needed. This was most frustrating when I was in a tight situation in dungeons, slamming the buttons and realizing that I actually didn't use my "mega medicine."

This is easily one of the most unnecessary additions to an RPG series I've ever heard. Seriously, who needs this?

Guy #1: Hey, I got this excellent idea for an addition to the item system.

*goes over it with the rest of the staff*

Guy #2: What? Hell no. We're not putting that in the game..Players have had no problems with the item system in the past. It's already incredibly simple. Why would anybody want this?

Guy #1: You're fired. You're all fired and you have disgraced Konami.

Guy #2: Can He really fire us? I thought He was just the Janitor?

Random staff member: I don't know but We better put it in the game just in case..
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you so much for this honest review...a lot of opinions we've seen thus far lean too much one way (IT SUX!) or the other (omg its better than all the others!) without really taking a step back and seriously weighing both the pros and cons. So reading this gives me a real idea of what to expect when I get my hands on it next week...and let's just say I think my anticipation of this game will be well worth the wait.

So one question: For Suikoden Tactics I know you dished out a numerical score (8 out of 10 I believe it was). Would you do the same for this game, SARS, and give it a number grade? Or is that something you'd pefer not to do for this game? Just wondering.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's very hard to give Suikoden V a score. I don't think I can give it a number because if I do, the number will gain its own life and walk away without anybody knowing what the number really means. If my life depends on it, I'd give it a 9.5.
Tetsuwan Zero

6000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have one question. In Suikoden IV I remember the charecters really could only do damage if their weapon was leveled up. Like, if it wasnt, they did NO damage. Is it the same way in Suikoden V Or does high attack power matter as well as weapon power? I also remember in S4 just the amount of damage people did was kind of low, lower then the rest of the series, not ever breaking 1000 damage, is it still like that or is it more like the rest of the series?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's more like the rest of the series, especially because you have the skill system that affects various things, like multiple attacks and critical rates.
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Unfortunately, Suikoden V's sales are not too stellar in Japan

And about this, what the hell happened?

It seemed to be doing pretty well for itself. Did it just fall off the charts after the first week?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep. 2nd Place first week, and 11th on the 2nd week. That's pretty bad even when compared to Suikoden 4. Sales havn't broken the 200000 unit mark yet, which all Suikodends since Suikoden 1 has broken.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I know it's hard to take a whole game and cram it into a number between 1 and 10, but glad to know you'd give it such a high mark (if your life depended on it, of course).

I wish sales were better...but i'm just glad we KNOW we're getting it. Otherwise we'd all be fretting over whether or not they would choose to bring it over or not. I do hope it does well here in the US though and maybe picks up in Japan--to assure many more years of Suikoden goodness, especially with them getting back on the right track (or so it seems) with the series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: