Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The World Cup 2006
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: The World Cup 2006 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the champions league is done and dusted after tonight so this is what we have to look forward to next. I cannot wait for this personally, I wish I could be in Germany for it!

Opening game is a Germany one on the 9th at 3pm German time I believe (2pm GMT), Costa Rica is who they're playing in that one, that game is followed by Poland against Ecuador. Not the best of matches really but the hosts kicking things off will get the show started with a bang. The next day is what I'm really waiting for though, England take on Paraguay and then there's some other game later too (Sweden vs Trinidad and Tobago, 2 against 1? Unfair I say).

So a few points of discussion, who do you think will win? That firstly being the obvious one and getting it out of the way a bit.

Who's your dark horse contender this year? Last time out we saw Senegal beating France and Korea getting stuck into the bigger name teams nicely.

The worst game of the group stages will be?

The best game of the group stages will be?

Tournament golden boot will go to?

Here are the groups for reference;

Group A: Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador
Group B: England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago
Group C: Argentina, Côte d'Ivoire, Serbia and Montenegro, Netherlands
Group D: Mexico, Iran, Angola, Portugal
Group E: Italy, Ghana, Czech Republic, USA
Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan
Group G: France, Switzerland, Korea Republic, Togo
Group H: Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia

Right my answers to my own questions. To win I have to go with my own nation as a matter of course but aside from England I believe the obvious chances lie with Brazil who have a fantastic squad this time around. I'd also think at this point Italy are in with a decent shout, I like a lot of their players at the moment.

Dark horse team I would probably go with Côte d'Ivoire, they are in probably the hardest group with Serbia and Montenegro, Netherlands and Argentina but the Netherlands have been prone to slip ups in big competition (though they are looking good at the moment), this plays into my idea that the Ivory Coast could be the dark horse team if they usurp what should be an Argentina, Netherlands 1-2 in that group. Whatever the case the Ivory Coast will play a tough team that will cause problems physically for their opponents.

The worst game of the group stages could well be Angola versus Iran. Just on paper that is, it could turn out great I suppose but I certainly have my reservations about what the standard of the match will be. Tunisia versus Saudi Arabia might be one to make me turn off the tellybox too, maybe.

For the best game Argentina against the Netherlands looks a bit tasty but also I think the Czech Republic against USA could be one to watch. I think the USA aren't such a bad side as they've been in the past and could be troublesome for anyone they face. Maybe Italy Czech Republic as well, that one could be close and a close match can breed more tension than Brazil overaweing someone like Japan even if it may well include prettier football.

You'll probably need about 6 or 7 goals for golden boot, any Brazilian forward has a great chance because they're likely to play a good portion of games and they're an attacking side but perhaps I'll take a guess at Baros pulling it off for the Czechs, he seems to score at a good rate for them and if they can get through the groups who knows.

Who's up for fantasy football on this, anyone have a suggestion for a nice free provider of this service at all?

Bring on the world cup.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who do you think will win?
Brazil is the obvious choice but i am hoping a European Team will do it.

Who's your dark horse contender this year?
Trinidad and Tobago - they will be there to enjoy themselves ao they might spring a few surprises.

I will agree that Angola and Iran will be very exciting

Looking forward to Argentina vs The Netherlands - should be a really exciting game.

It will be a Brazilian player no doubt.

Who's up for fantasy football on this, anyone have a suggestion for a nice free provider of this service at all?

I am just setting one up, totally free, i will up date with the details in a few minutes

EDIT: Fantasy FIFA World Cup 2006 is up. To join Click Here
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil or Germany. And I incline to Germany, this time.

Well, since Japan is more of an outsider rather than a dark horse, I say Australia and/or Ukraine.

Tunisia vs Saudi Arabia - Tunisia without Benachour isn't the same thing.

Dunno, but it's between Argentina vs Netherlands, England vs Sweden and Czech Republic vs US of the A

Dunno, but Ronaldo, Adriano, Henry and Schevchenko (if Ukraine goes long) are the best chances.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope you signed up for the Fantasy World Cup
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't worry I'll make sure he does it, he certainly doesn't want to draw my wrath. I'll eat all his soldiers if he doesn't sign up.

Seriously, Germany? Am I the only one who doesn't think much of their chances? Ballack has played down their chances of winning and they got thrashed by a far superior Italian side recently. On top of that Bayern Munich and Germany full back Phillip Lahm has just had elbow surgery and might not be able to play. Okay he's "only" a full back but he's a very good player and an up and comer, it's quite a blow to them in my opinion. Perhaps some people value home advantage more than I do.

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'll eat all his soldiers if he doesn't sign up.

Samoa Joe will eat yours :D I'm a friend of his, so don't try to eat mine. I'll sign up after this post.

And home advantage is very important in big competitions. Portugal wouldn't go to the finals in Euro 2004 if it wasn't for the home support (just see the game against England and the one against Spain and you'll understand why), as France wouldn't win the World Cup 98 if it wasn't in France, and South Korea wouldn't go as far as they did in 2002 if it weren't for the home advantage and that Equatorian referee. That's why I pick Germany.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil... but Argentina have a nice goup too.

Ivory Coast or Côte d'Ivoire.

Poland vs Ecuador.

Côte d'Ivoire vs Argentina.

I guess they will give it to a Germany player.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just a little note Filipe, you can't give the golden boot to anyone arbitrarily, it's the award for the player who scores the most goals in the tournament.

Zorrow

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil...but I'm rooting for England.

South Korea. Last World Cup they got 4th (if my memory allows me), and this time, their squad looks stronger. Of course, they're not at home anymore.

geh, Czech vs Italy, because I think it will turn out a boring draw. I wouldn't watch players I've never seen before, so I ruled out ^all those above, answered by others.^

Argentina vs Holland

Walcott-joking joking. Alright I guess Steven Gerrard. Lol. Serious.

La Brigade des Loups

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My head says Brasil, but I have a feeling that we won't win it this time. (although I did have a feeling that Arsenal would win the CL...)

Mexico can surprise.

Tunisia and Saudi Arabia as well

Argies versus the dutch will be a great game. England and Sweden won't be bad either.

Not sure, Luca Toni perhaps.

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil, they're just such an amazing team this year with Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano, Robinho and Cafu. NEVER rule out Cafu, that guy will last forever.

I was going to say Japan, but they couldn't even beat us (Scotland)...
I'll go with korea Republic just for fun.

As much as I was also considering, Iran vs Angola, I think I'm going to go with Ecuador vs Costa Rica

Definitely Argentina vs Netherlands, I can't see any other more interesting prospects in the groups.

Adriano, mostly because he'll be the furthest Brazilian up the park, if only by a short margin from the defence :P. I think Shevchenko will be a close rival though.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil all the way. The best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be. Sorry Bret 'Hitman' Hart, Brazil is the real best. ^__^

I don't think there will be a dark horse. I want big nations in the final 8. But if there must be a dark horse, I'd pick Sweden over anyone. Either them, or sadly Australia.

For this, I'd go with South Korea vs Togo.

Argentina vs Netherland easily with Italy vs Czech at a close second. I still remember the Euro 2004 match between Czech and Netherlands, it was magnificent. So hoping those two teams could perform an enterntaining match with their respective tough opponents.

My man Adriano would get the golden boot with a total of 7 goals.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brazil looks like it's a pretty much consensus choise as winner, not surprising given that they are heavy favourites and a great team in terms of skill but I do not think that they are unbeatable. Yes their defence is improved but it's certainly not impossible to score against the likes of Cafu, Dida, Lucio and so on. In addition many times have the South American teams struggled when the tournament has been held in Europe (or so the media informs me) so this could be a factor as well.

I can't help myself I have to continue to say I don't think Germany are all that good and whatever advantage playing in their nation gives them just won't be enough in my opinion. They're not terrible of course but I don't think they are contenders then again they made the last final with what was considered a very poor German side in terms of quality so maybe they will surprise me again. Yep I'm covering all the bases on them I've basically said they should go out in the early stages but they might make the final, aren't I indecisive today.

Zinedine Zidane will retire from football after this tournament, no one backing him to take the France team to another championship? I think we've largely ignored France conversation so far and they are still a very, very good side. Henry hasn't lit up the international stage in the same way he has the club game but you know he's always a danger not to be ignored. Then he's backed up by Trezeguet and Cisse, they have a solid midfield and defence on top of this so they could go far, their group could also be considered an easy one when you glance at who their opposition is so bar a goalless mess up like last time they will qualify for the knockouts in all likelihood.

Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Just a little note Filipe, you can't give the golden boot to anyone arbitrarily, it's the award for the player who scores the most goals in the tournament.

I know it but I think they will "give it" to a germany player. For me there is always someone cheating, money being paid for teams so they can lose and stuff like that. Like that game in 2002 it was Spain vs Korea I think and the judge was blind maybe. So that's what I'm saying, there will be alot of penalties to Germany this year.

And it's Felipe. ^^ I need a name change.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah sorry about that one, your names are so similar but it's almost impossible to confuse your writing styles. I might type your name wrong in a moment of distraction but I knew who I meant. That or the illuminati made me do it.

I would like to think there's no bribery involved in the world cup and in honesty I don't think there is. I mean it's going to be very difficult to find someone susceptible to bribes in a position of power and so forth. The recent Italian scandal is simply that, Italian. To affect a referee from each different nation is a lot harder than creating the situation that occured there. Germany may get the referees being a bit more on their side but I think that's a psychological effect of playing in Germany and having the fans get onto the referees backs. I also think though it can have the adverse effect on referees where they will give less to the home team as a statement they cannot be swayed by the opinion of the crowds though this phenomena is much more rare.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: