Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sexual Orientation: Nature or Nurture
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nature or Nurture
Just Nature
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Just Nurture
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Both - but more nature
32%
 32%  [ 19 ]
Both - but more nurture
28%
 28%  [ 17 ]
Equally Both
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 59

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trevoke says:
Quote:
because it reflects largely on the conditions of nature (your personality) and slightly less on nurture (you're ability to realize and accept your thoughts about it).

I think it's important to define both nature and nurture... It looks like everyone has a good grasp on nature.

Nurture is the society that surrounds you from your infancy on. Parents, siblings, neighbors, friends of the family, relatives... Nurture is "outside" of you, nature is "inside" of you.

I should have been more clear. I think that a person's ability to perceive the situation around them, as well as the recognition of their feelings, is a behavior taught (by parents usually) rather than an innate ability. That's what I meant by that last sentence.

For my ideas on Nature, I subscribe to John Locke and the Tabula Rasa (hey! that's the name of a site feature!). We're born a blank tablet, and everything we learn gets written on the tablet, inscribed into our psyche, which covers Nurture. Nature is the realization that no two people are born the same, and so no two 'blank tablets' are the same. That which we choose to become is governed by both the differences in us at birth that we cannot control, and the things around us that we choose to assimilate into our being.

Arcana says:
Quote:

A lot of people like to say that they're lesbian because it's a cool, rebellious thing to do, or because "they can't find a man to satisfy them". And then, two years later, they're suddenly dating guys again and end up marrying a man, or something like that. There are a lot of fakers out there.

And rebelliousness is still governed by a part of the brain, and how do we know if it can or cannot be controled?

Just really another example of adaptation (and not evolution because it's not a genetic change). If a person wants to fake a sexual orientation because it makes them seem cool, then that's probably beyond their control as well.

And Hawk, I say one of the references in your quote was (eminent Women's) Psychologist Sandra Bem. We can really find out about the role of nurture in determining a person's characteristics, possibly including sexuality with the Bem Sex Role Inventory, seeing that the large majority of those traits on there are learned and not innate.

And as for High Priest Nutflush saying Nature vs. Nurture is useless, I really don't know. I still think nature is much more important because most of the abilities we are learned in nurture are hardwired and not learned. Some small help is needed in the early childhood years, but other than that, people are almost totally capable of sustaining themselves without others or things around them.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earthquake923 wrote:
Quote:

I have a question: doesn't it seem errant to believe that homosexuality is genetic? Genetics, like almost everything else in science, is tied to evolution. Evolution is about natural selection which requires successful reproduction and propogation of a species. But homosexuals can't reproduce by definition (not that they're physically unable to, but they've chosen to seek out partners that would not lead to chidlren). So doesn't that defy evolution, if this is the case? It seems unrealistic that nature would design all living creatures with the instinct to reproduce, but then take a part of the population and purposefully make them resistant to the idea of reproduction.

It would be true if heterosexual parents did have homosexual offspring. The fact that homosexuality has been around probably since the beginning of time sorta invalidates that theory.

No one knows yet, though. If there's a sexual orientation gene, then the allele would be either homosexual or heterosexual. From the evidence presented so far, the dominant allele would be heterosexual, but that doesn't mean that a heterosexual person would not carry a homosexual allele.

I'm not a genetics expert, but if the system is as simple as there existing a gay gene, then the way to create homosexual offspring would be for a gay man and a gay woman to have sex with each other.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point I am trying to make is that straight paople have gay offspring. Just as 2 parents who have black hair, can have a blonde child.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering I have a member of my family that happens to live an alternative lifestyle if you understand my meaning with that, you would think that I see it as human nature. That I would think as a result that it is just a part of who they are, and really thats all there is to it, however you would be incorrect in thinking so. By religious belief I am a Christian, however I think that the way a person is raised, and the surroundings they make for themselves determines this. In a way a lot of people say that it is a choice that they make, they choose to be homosexual or they choose to be heterosexual. In a way that statement is correct, and in a way that statement is wrong depending on how you look at it.

You see, everything in life changes something about the way that you are, and what you surround yourself with is a choice that you make. You can choose to partake in activities when you are younger that might make you lean in certain ways when you are older. While you could choose differently, and your sexual preferences could lean the opposite way. Sure this doesnt mean that you would go one way, or the other way but subconsciously it might make consider it more seriously. I believe that the thought to one side or the other is there naturally, and that god instilled it within all of us. It goes into the gift and curse that he gave us of having the freedom to choose our own path, whether subconsciously, or knowingly. I truly believe that the choices a person makes in the lifestyle they live nurtures their sexual orientation to one side or another. It doesnt mean that it is set that if you do these activities or those that you will be attracted to the same sex, or the opposite. It just means you might lean more to one side or another as a result of it.

Now if you ask what those various activities might be, I dont really know what to tell you, because it might differ for every individual. Some might be set into one or the other from birth, and it wouldnt make the least bit of difference what lifestyle they live. It's just that for some their preferences can change at the subconscious level when they are still too young to make a real preference. The way they are treated by their parents or friends, the way they interact with others and others interact with them. The responses they give to those interactions might affect them we dont really know. This entire deal factors into the environment that you live with everyday. The deep down feeling that you know you are straight or gay might just be a strong inclination already set, so nothing could change your mind.

Now I know that homosexuality in animals was brought up as an example of nature, but I dont put the least bit of weight into that one. You see apes, sheep, dogs, dolphins and whatever other examples you could use dont have sex with other males or females in the way you might think. To them it is not about pleasure, or showing love for the other that could categorized for homosexual relationships or sex. You see to them it's not about gay relationships, it's about two things only and it has nothing to do whatsoever with being homosexual. It's about absolute dominance, and power over the other. Male apes will rape other males to make sure they know who is the dominant male in the family or group. Dolphins will literally not just rape, but gang rape other dolphins some times for breeding when it comes to the females, or just dominance when it comes to other males. There are animals whose sheer nature is only to breed, and everything that comes with that so you could say they arent gay, they are merely doing so for "pleasure". Or for some other meaning we havent considered yet. This goes to the very question of homosexuality, are you gay because you want to be like dogs, or sheep or something like that?(not to make a comparison between homosexuals and said animals but the choice)Or because it's part of who you are, which may or may not be part of who you are?

I dont really put a lot of weight behind the statement in the bible, that says that being homosexual is a sin against god, and all of that as I believe that was a written in opinion. The words of god if you believe the bible to be as such are up to the interpretation of all people, as are the words in any other holy book for that matter. However this is a discussion for another time all together.

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Idk, i think the most of it is in nurture. People get affected by lot's of things today and in just one moment you can becom one or the another. You don't have to be child molestered or something like that to be a homosexual.

Predetermination of genes are making lot of things on us that we're not able to control. But way of thinking is something that sorrounding creates, just 4 example.

If u sit box or girl in front of television and let him/her watch homosexual content, than that boy/girl would probably think that is 'right' way, and it'll probably get 'turned on' by homosexual content and relationship.

On the other hand heterosexual content will affect differently.

I think that for homosexual guys/girls ... there is a moment in life which determined their sexual orientation.
And don't take this 'literally' like something happened and they became homosexuals.
(somebody hit them with the stone in the head).... i mean, some minor thing that caused flow of happenings which made them (don't take it as offence) homosex.

And as if for Nature.... in nature everything is created on base of male and female, that's how we got born, and how flora and fauna still exist.
If it was in Nature to create gays than we would eventualy dissapear cause of lack of natalitet

/one huge SORRY for my misspellings , English is not my mother-tounge... it's Croatian. So i hope i didn't offence anybody. My appologies once more/
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I support the nature theory because of one simple question. Who would want to be gay? With all the stigma and hostility surrounding homosexuals today and all. Who would want all of that just to be different or rebellious.

Homosexuality, as well as heterosexuality is not a choice. Nothing can make someone gay or straight.

There is an old greek legend that says that humans were once beings with two heads, for arms, and four legs. One day Zeus got angry with these beings and split them apart with a thunderbolt. Ever since humans have had only one head, two arms, and two legs. One half of what they used to be. Since then humans have been trying to find the other half of themself. Their soul mate.

Sexual preference isn't exactly something that scientists have been able to map as of yet. It's still a mystery

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why wouldn't you want to be gay? You can belong to a distinct subculture with its own little perks. You can get a lot of sex, have a lot of friends, and learn lots of things from other gay men. You can be in a special social group that is different, instead of being like everyone else. You can hang out on the town and stuff like that.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aside from being part of a social minority, you can do all the same things as a heterosexual.

I assume the reason you wouldn't want to be gay has something to do with the massive amount of discrimination, homophobia, stereotypes and negative views associated with the lifestyle.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In case anyone is interested (as people clearly are), 60 Minutes has an article about this very subject on their website here. It appears that there will be a segment on the full show tonight. It should be interesting...
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Aside from being part of a social minority, you can do all the same things as a heterosexual.

I assume the reason you wouldn't want to be gay has something to do with the massive amount of discrimination, homophobia, stereotypes and negative views associated with the lifestyle.

Maybe I live in a more liberal part of the world, where discrimination is a bit less common, and more people are out?

Certainly there are reasons not to want to be gay, but my point is that being gay is certainly not as shameful as it was even five years ago, and that it has its own unique, distinct subculture that many people might not mind being a part of.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana, you live in Canada, right? Indeed, that is a more liberal part of the world. Here in the United States at least, discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is all too common. It's basically a result of it being the only prejudice tolerated by society.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Modern Ireland is extrordinarily liberal when it comes to matters of sexual preference.

However, discrimination is still higher that discrimination on the basis of heterosexuality. The term 'gay' can still be used as an insult. Stereotypes such as the lisping queen with tight fitting shirts still exist.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I mean with, "Who would want to be gay?" is why for example if you know that your family will shun you because of your sexual preference. I know this does not apply to everyone, but it has applied to enough people to make it a problem. Statistically, the group with the highest suicide rate is homosexuals.

The problem isn't with the person who is gay by any means, it is with the perception of those who are closed minded. Religion certainly doesn't help here.

I am not prejudice against homosexuals at all. I have had a few friends who are homosexual. I know that there is quite a bit of psycological pain within their lives.(It doesn't help that they're from Bakersfield) I remember one of my friends doing a performance peace in drama class that reflected on the stigma he faced as a homosexual.

That is why I asked, "Who would want to be gay?"

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there are, unfortunatly, plenty of reasons not to WANT to be gay. It's terrible living alie around your family because you know there's no way they'll accept it. Having to look them in the face as you live a lie. It's one of the most humiliating things you can do to yourself...but sometimes, it's needed.

The problem is that some people will treat as "abominations unto the lord." Homosexuals are severly descrimated against here. They cannot marry and have great difficulty adopting clidren. Hell, Murderers and child molesters are treated better than Homosexuals in many places. Some churches preach how much God hates them due to Levitcus (and they never ever mention that polyester is also considered a sin)

Simply put. Some people need something to hate. Rather than target a racial minority, they go after a sexual minority and go as far as claiming it's God's will. and I know, not all religious people hate homosexuals and it tends to only be the extreamests, but they make sure their interests are kept in priority..

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a homosexual, I strongly believe it is nature, not nurture, as I believe I was born gay. I have known I was gay for as long as I can remember. However in some cases, I think that unnatural circumstances such as sexual abuse can make an otherwise straight child go gay once they're older.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: