Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

College is coming...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben raises a good point. If you're not quite ready for college, then I do recommend taking time off. Buuut...It's a double edged sword. And there are a lot of drawbacks to doing that.

- For one thing, I find that for every year you don't go to college, the likeliness of you going drops quite a bit. It can be frightening to go back to school after so many years off.

- A lot of colleges now make incoming freshman take exams to ensure they're at the levels of schooling the college wants them to be at. These are big moneymakers for a lot of places; a lot of these classes are really expensive and you have to finish them before taking any classes they might be a pre-req (if you haven't cleared the test) for. English might not be a problem (it's something that, if you live in the states, you hear on a daily basis) but math? A lot of these tests quiz you on formulas - and if you don't remember the formula, there's no way to solve the problem.

- It will take you a lot longer to earn your degree if you're working fulltime (which you likely will have to, unless you are extremely lucky.)

- Not everyone can afford to move overseas or the like or perhaps can't due to some lasting arrangements at home. For those who can't, I would recommend trying Community Colleges - they are cheaper than 4 years and you can get your associates degree and transfer on to a four year in just a couple years. They're closer to home, so those nervous can "test the waters" so to speak, before jumping in to a bg 4 year instituition.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ayoloco

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Sigh* How I wish I am still a student :(
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also agree with Sophita and Saben on taking some time before rushing for collage because if you aren't that much confident about taking the responsibility of college then don't, but I also wouldn't recommend taking a lot of time because you might lose interest in it.

I for myself did take some time after graduating from High School because at that time I wasn't that much confident about my ability in taking that kind of responsibility, so all I did is postponed college for a while.

To be honest with you... even if I did go to college at that time I wouldn't know if I could keep on with everything duo to my lack of experience in life, but now I'm absolutely sure about taking the experience of college because I know that I'm not the same person as before.

So all I want to say to you is before going to college do gain some knowledge on life around you because it will surly help in your journey through college.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my advice is simple -- dont join frat/sorrority.
Make friends with frat people so you can go to their parties but dont join them.
Paying $ to have friends who will humiliate and use you for quiet some time is plain stupid.
Also 'challenges' they pose are ridiculus -- one sorority on our campus sneaks in a date rape onot its pledges, and other frat forces pledges to do 'elephant walk'. Obviously you most pledges do not know about this until their times comes.
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry I can't give you any real good advice, since I'm pretty much in the same boat that your in. I'll be a freshman as well, I start next Monday, a week from now. I'm really not that nervous. I already scouted out my college and checked where all my classes will be, just so I know ahead of time. I've actually gotten to know my way around my college pretty well now (I should. I've been back there three times in the past week checking if they have any more of my books in yet and I still don't have all of them.)

So, anyways, good luck! I hope everything works out ok. That goes for all the new freshman here. :D

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yay for freshmen. ;P

It's just occurred to me that I'm moving away from home to live in a dorm with someone I've only spoke to on the phone and online twice. It also just hit me that starting Monday I have to go back to classes and the school year is beginning. Ohh boy...

And I'm leaving for college tomorrow, so what did I do? Not figure out everything I'm taking, again! Again...

Yay for freshmen ;P

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am finished college! Got me a degree in Architectural Technology.
I will be going back in a few years to do some part time postgrad courses though.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm, college? yes, this is also my first year in college, it's the University of Indonesia (UI) which is so damn hard to enter. I am one of those lucky 4000 people from about 100.000 applicants (yes, the university is the most favorite one in my country :mrgreen: ). I take the Bachelor Degree for Bussiness Administration (BBA degree).

And yeah, the first week is really tiring. The first day I got a homework to make 30+page papers for three days using MANUAL typewriting machine. And right now i'm too tired to make it so I browse the internet for refreshing, haha. I live alone at the dormitory, with lots of different nationality around me, in my right is a korean student's room (his name is Bin, and he couldn't speak english, which made communication between us is kinda hard since his Indonesian is not that good, but it's so kind of him to help me doing my homework). And in my left, there's an australian. Hmm, but I guess college life is not that bad after all

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found college to be the best years of my life!
I did a four year degree course in Architectural Technology.
And i am soon to graduate with First Class Honours! Yippy!
One of only five people in the class to get it.
First and second year were handy enough and i did go out and party alot!
Third year was a different story, man the work load that year was crazy!
We has something like big 27 projects to do in total but i got through it.
As for fourth year, that was a breeze, less projects and they were mainly
report writing so that was not too bad.
Thank god i wasnt stuck in the books all the time, in fact i never had to buy a
book because my course was mainly practical work with lectures thrown in here
and their for the theory end of the course.
I really really enjoyed my time in college and i hope you do too.

In a few years i hope to go back to do some part time courses to suppliament
my qualification but for now i am working fulltime to save for travelling!
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but since English isn`t my native tongue and all...what is really the difference between college and University? Is it the same thing?

Anyway, I`ll hopefully be starting at university next year...I`m a very "academic" kind of person, so I doubt I`ll want to go off doing something else first. I`ve been looking forward to university for a long time, so I`m pretty determined about it.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hated college...which is why I stopped became a graphic designer for a top ad agency...heh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OH MY GOD! Goldmember is a Manchester fan! O_O Good job.

Ayoloco, your image seems a bit... on the LARGE side. Make it smaller.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gwendel wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but since English isn't my native tongue and all...what is really the difference between college and University? Is it the same thing?

I don't really know about other countries but here in Kuwait we have different types of collages, some that are under the regulation of University of Kuwait and other that are under the regulation of The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training.

Well... to explain it in a different way, in one hand there are the colleges of the University of Kuwait that are mainly like any other colleges in a normal University.

In another hand, there are the colleges of The Public Authority for Applied Education and Training that are divided into four colleges:

- College of Basic Education
- College of Business Studies
- College of Health Science
- College of Technological Studies

The institutes are also under The Authority for Applied Education and Training and they are:

-Electricity and Water Institute
-Telecommunication and Navigation Institute
-Industrial Training Institute
[Located in Shuwaikh (a district in Kuwait)]
-Industrial Training Institute [Located in Sabah Al-Salem (a district in Kuwait and where are I'm recently living)]
-Nursing Institute
-Constructional Training Institute
-Vocational Training Institute

Therefore, you may say that college is different from University in Kuwait. :)

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gwendal wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but since English isn`t my native tongue and all...what is really the difference between college and University? Is it the same thing?

Anyway, I`ll hopefully be starting at university next year...I`m a very "academic" kind of person, so I doubt I`ll want to go off doing something else first. I`ve been looking forward to university for a long time, so I`m pretty determined about it.

Funny thing is I don't know either and my native tongue IS English. =\ I always figured a "university" was just bigger than other "colleges." ^^;
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not entirely sure, but what I think the difference is, is when a state has a huge university system.

Say, here in Illinois, we have University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana, and also University of Illinois at Chicago. They are both 'University of Illinois', but are different colleges....in fact they're over a hundred miles away from eachother.

Even within, say, the U of I at Champaign/Urbana campus, they have specific 'colleges'...for example the Engineering program is actually called the College of Engineering or something.

Private colleges won't be big enough, and will just be called (insert name here) college.

So what my guess is, is that large universities can have multiple colleges in them. Which kind of works like how Njord explained the Kuwaiti university system was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: