Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What happened to RPG's?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercenary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: What happened to RPG's? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it just me, I noticed that hero's or other main characters clothes and looks are lacking, I mean what happened to all the bad ass characters? Tidus form FFX i hated him in it, and the new main guy in suikoden 4 oh god I think he looks dumb, young and wussy kids are the heros of today what happened to people like Cloud and Squall from FF 7 & 8 and Dart wasnt really badass but he was cool. Did anyone else notice me or is it just me?
Mekou

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's a matter of opinion. I mean, sometimes the hero's (and characters in general) clothing are more detailed than they used to be.

A hero doesn't have to look and be "badass", at least I don't think so. Perhaps the purpose of using "young and wussy" looking characters is to show that you don''t have to be superman to save the world/your love/etc. ^_^;
Lechium

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shadow Hearts 2 comes out in US in September and it has one of THE badass charcters of all RPG's I've played. Nice guy and all, but real phyco on the inside.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clothes and looks aren't really all that important when it comes to RPGs, but then again, I'm used to RPGs from a decade ago, where your character was a super-deformed 2D sprite. What "happened" to RPGs is that they simply evolved into what they are now. New generations of gamers were brought up on (somewhat) realistic graphics on next generation consoles and, unfortunately, graphics seem to have become the forefront when it comes to designing a game.

I have nothing against cutting edge graphics, not at all, but we can't judge games by what the main character looks like or the choice of fashion. In the early Zelda games, you only really knew what Link looked like through character art, as all but one of the pre-N64 games were viewed top down... like most RPGs from that time period, actually.

As far as Hero4 is concerned, I agree that he appears somewhat plain in his armor get up, but he looks better in the "regular" clothes. Let's just say that when I saw the package art for Suikoden II while doing some research on the game, I wasn't too impressed with how Riou looked, and Suikoden II quickly became one of my favourite games.

Cloud and Squall may not have been "wussy" characters, but they were certainly in the "young" category, both either in their mid-to-late teens. Personally, I think RPGs would get very boring if every main character happened to be a "badass" with the s "save the world" or "rescue the love of his life" story tacked on.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Eriatarka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Squall was 17...which I think is the same as Hero4

Cloud was 21
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My bad, it's been a while since I've played Final Fantasy VII. So long, in fact, that I have yet to complete it. Just like Final Fantasy IX, I keep getting sidetracked with other games and stuff and despite my adamant intentions to return to it, something else always seems to come up.

What's pathetic about it is I originally started playing it with the PC version, and I had leveled several of the characters up to level 99 in the Nibelheim area and didn't even finish the first disc! This was back in 1998, and I restarted my game when I got a PS2 and subsequently a used copy of the original PSX version.

I really need to give quite a few of my games some more attention. I've even got a few I have yet to play.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha, I don't even like "badass" characters, and I didn't particularly like Cloud or Squall.

Also, two examples hasn't really convinced me that anything in particular has happened to RPGs in general.
Lord Riou

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like BADASS characters...just my first impression on a new rpg game that if the main character is a total badass.....HA its gonna be great.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It all depends on what the writers intend to do with the hero and characters in the game I mean if the character is going to have a sensitive somewhat gentle side giving the character a badass look would just make it look silly. I mean dont get me wrong having a character stray from the stereotype of the character's looks makes for some interesting character development but not the other way around. Thats the only way that I see it happening in that way. Besides I dont think that the hero in the fourth Suikoden will be a wuss persay and might have an edge to his personality he just looks like a wuss. We wont really know until we see the game for ourselves.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Ryu from Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter had a very fitting outfit for a soldier living underground (gloves, goggles, glowing identification tag, uniform).

Lechium wrote:
Shadow Hearts 2 comes out in US in September and it has one of THE badass charcters of all RPG's I've played. Nice guy and all, but real phyco on the inside.

Yeah, but his outfit is a little on the goofy side. He's dropped the trenchcoat for some seriously oversized cuffs, and has an interesting cross on his back.
Master Varg

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess heroes changed from being determined and "I walk my own path", and turned into Tidus characters who whine and complain every step on the way.
I know some people didn't like Hugo because he wasn't determined and strong, instead he asked Srgt Joe for everything.
Cloud, Squall and Link would react before thinking, saving the "princess", but Tidus whines "We have to save Yuna! Blah, blah! Don't just stand there! Do Something!! BLAH!!!"

Also I noticed something with "new" heroes, non of them says a real "NO!".
I mean, in Suikoden 2, Nanami forces herself to join Riou, everyone tells Riou "No, you can't do that, no, you can't say that, no, don't say that..."
If I would be Riou, I would be heavily depressed because nobody ever listens to me, but he acts like everything is fine and dandy.
Riou would never tell Shu "No! I'm tired and cranky and I need some sleep! No Nanami, I talk to you AFTER I SLEPT! GODNIGHT!", but Cloud and Squall would say "No, I'm going to sleep. Don't disturb me or I'll brake your nose."

- Viktor, Suikoden 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that the changes in the looks of the characters are really influenced by the way teenagers look or to be exact dream to look like in our recent time.

I think that in the past this kind of games were only meant to be played by older people that's why the old RPG heroes look older but now everything changed duo to the fact that they are mainly focusing on the younger people which makes them obliged to substitute the older kind of heroes to these young looking à la mode ones.

I also think that it is only a way to advertise for a certain kind of cloth, hairstyle, or any kind of item they wish to be known or used in our daily life, so let us face it they are using these tricks for more than an accessory for these video games and that is my opinion.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
I thought Ryu from Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter had a very fitting outfit for a soldier living underground (gloves, goggles, glowing identification tag, uniform).

Lechium wrote:

Yeah, but his outfit is a little on the goofy side. He's dropped the trenchcoat for some seriously oversized cuffs, and has an interesting cross on his back.

Yeah I miss hiss trench as well.
If you had played the game, thou, did he retain his attitude?
(I'm looking forwards to SH2 moreso than S4, actually, since SH is my fave PS2 RPG)
Mercenary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sorry to all those people who like Tidus from FFX but I really hated him, all he did was bitch and that ruined it for me.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of the recent FFs were lame anyway....and the main characters in FF7 and FF8 were BY FAR the biggest whiners I've ever seen. FF8, in particular, had so much ANGST that I was half expecting a Linkin Park song.

I just want my RPG characters to act normally, for a change. I don't want them to be too badass, too silent. Those are so cliched and overdone it's ridiculous. On the other hand, too much ANGST ruins my time. Sorry, but I don't want to hear some 17 year old *****ing about how much his life sucks. I can listen to my little brother for that one.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: