Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Moving On In Suikoden. (Spoilers A Plenty.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Moving On In Suikoden. (Spoilers A Plenty.) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The funny thing about me is whenever I finish a Suikoden game, I feel kinda sad. Now this sadness has nothing to do with the ending of the games; for me, it always feels like the last day of school. I mean, I'm really stoked about summer vacation, but you bring with you a lot of memories from that year in school. It could be the friends you made, how awesome your teacher was, or just the accomplishments you've done that year. Suikoden is the exactly same thing for me. I'm happy that I finally beat the game, but at the same token, I kinda bond with the game. Whether it be the characters, the items, the story...

Anyway, I didn't start feeling this way until after three playthroughs of Suikoden I, and two playthroughs of Suikoden II. As you can see, it took a little while for me to be completely absorbed in the Suikoden universe. Now, on to the list!

Suikoden: There were some good ones here. The mischievous of Viktor, especially with what he did at Rockland. Comedy. Being able to use Kwanda, Kasim, Milich, and Sonya. Finding out that Pahn could survive the duel with Teo. And, of course, finding out that Gremio can be resurrected was real cool. And in the end, seeing Viktor and Flik fight through the wave of soldiers. That's OG status right there.

Suikoden II: Seeing that this was my favorite of the series, I had the most memories here. Running into Viktor and Flik again (this coming after my long hiatus away from Suikoden). I really like Sierra. Kahn and the whole Marley Clan thing was awesome. Viktor's famous "speech" to Neclord. Nina's crush with Flik. Getting Tir and Gremio to join up. Going to Gregminster. Hearing the battle music from Suikoden I in the Banner Pass. Nanami and Riou, and how she so caring of her brother; it's so cute. Hai Yo and the awesome cooking side quest. I remember each time I cook up something, I would actually get really hungry. I know there's more, but I can't think of any, at the moment.

Suikoden III: Definitely, the whole Grasslands and the Six Clans of the Grassland. To me, this game had the most beautiful scenary ever. I liked the music, too. Sgt. Joe is badass. Little Viki is real cool. Nadir's theater got a couple of chuckles out of me. The one scene were Alanis calls the lizard guy "uncle." So cute. Geddoe and the Mercenaries rocked hard. All of the mercs have their own personality. And it was developed real well throughout the game.

Suikoden IV: I miss Kevin and Pam's steamed buns. A whole lot. I really like steamed meat buns in real life, so whenever I go monster hunting to gain levels, I always buy 99 Meat Buns and Steamed Buns. And I always have to run to a Dim Sum restaurant, after I finish playing.

Suikoden Tactics: Corselia. She's a cute kid.

Alright, folks, this thread is interactive; Tell me if you guys feel the same way as I do. And if you do, you are more than welcome to post your Suikoden memories here.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember the first time I'd played Suikoden and I was quite young and niave in terms of RPGs. I'd played Final Fantasy IV and Zelda III but aside from that I hadn't played many RPGs so Suikoden was quite an awakening. Anyway, after finishing the game and reading all the ending tags I felt a sense of loss that all the characters split off and left the castle and the land - I always assumed that they'd stay in the land and all work together (happy bunnies, fairies, etc, etc).

I generally do feel a sense of sadness after finishing a good game - though it depends on the game and their characters. I think, for example, Resident Evil 4 was a great game but the characters, while likeable obviously didn't have much depth or development so at the end of the game you felt happy you'd vanquished the evil, saved the day and rescued the girl. At the end of Suikoden you feel as though you've saved the land, but there's much more you want to do and see. You want to develop some characters more, or further (or at all in some characters' case). than what they have been developed.

That's the part of the game that always leaves me wanting to play more or try out the New Game +

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
At the end of Suikoden you feel as though you've saved the land, but there's much more you want to do and see. You want to develop some characters more, or further (or at all in some characters' case). than what they have been developed.

That's the part of the game that always leaves me wanting to play more or try out the New Game +

That's exactly how I feel! That was a great example in Resident Evil 4. I was pretty excited about beating the game, but you know, that was that. You don't really feel there's much else to be done. But the great thing about Suikoden is the world is so huge; you really do get the feeling there's lots more to do, even after you beat the game. Many characters also have interesting backgrounds, and it's too bad you can't explore them further than what the game provides. I suppose it's Konami's way of keeping the Suikoden world "alive"; There's Suikoden message boards all over the place, with fans like us that post and make endless speculations on the game. We never cease to talk about Suikoden.

But yeah, I wish that I can put myself in the game, and join along in their adventures.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

ramenNrice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well i know wat you mean .. its like you kinda felt empty inside right ? like noooo its over! haha ^_^ but i only felt that on the first 2 suikodens , 3 all the way to 5 just ruined the mood... but 5 is still awesome though .
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, you do feel bad after finishing a game. You've invested a lot of emotional time to these characters and it aches a little when their story is "over." But that's the good thing about Suikoden: you have 6 games that all are somewhat related. After fiishing one, you can pick up another and still feel like you're in the same world. Some may feel a bit disconnected and others may not be "great games," but you still get to play around in the same world and you can get some of your emotional investment back when you get one of the throwbacks to earlier games.

When I first played S2, for example, when I saw Cleo again I cheered. Aloud. Quite noticably. My friend who was watching me play said, "What's so the big deal about her? Is she playable." Sadly, no, she wasn't (although I would give my left arm if she was...), but that's the idea. When I found out Ted was in S4 I felt the same way.

Certain parts of the saga may be a little disappointing, but its a world you can get immersed in and become a part of. The total picture is being painted very nicely indeed.

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Anyway, after finishing the game and reading all the ending tags I felt a sense of loss that all the characters split off and left the castle and the land - I always assumed that they'd stay in the land and all work together (happy bunnies, fairies, etc, etc).

Hehe when I first played suikoden 2,the first suikoden i played(its abit irritating I have not played suikoden 1) I felt the same way. I had hoped they would stay in the castle live a peaceful life but im also glad that they each had a unique ending. And im also glad there story does not end simply with the end of the game.

Hehe i also remember my first playthough of suikoden 2. When i learned we were going to Greminster I thought nothing of it. I didn't even know Tir house then.
But after playing suikoden 2 and learning that some of the characters were actual playable in suikoden 1 I imediately wanted to know more about suikoden.

When I played suikoden 3 i was like " who would be returning characters?" Hehe Suikoden is really great. The characters make me feel that even though we do not see what actual happens to them I feel like there lives will go on,even if we dont see it on tv.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always get a similar feeling whenever i put a lot of time into a game, but especially a Suikoden. They usually do a good job of involving the gamer so much that they feel a sense of dissapointment once the game is over. I felt this after Suikoden 2 the most. I got so involved in the game, recruiting characters, getting every item, and forming the best war units that i never wanted the game to end. Luckly with a game like Suikoden 2 it is very easy to start and finish a new game without too much significant effort. This is one of the big plusses with me for 2.

I also felt the same way to some degree about Suikoden 3. It took a lot to get everything and every star of destiny. I didn't enjoy the gameplay as much as 2, but i still didn' want it to end. As far as Suikoden 4 goes, i never made that connection. I enjoyed the game, but it didn't do enough to get me hooked. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game the second playthrough. The same cannot be said for Suikoden 5 however. Now that was a great game. I am currently on my second playthrough and i am loving every second of it.

To give a short conclusion. I do feel that sense of longing after certain suikodens are done.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Carbunc

Crimson Bricade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Depression Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always feel that way with any good RPG as i get towards the end (suikoden and final fantasy mostly). There's actually times where I got so sad about the end of the game i stopped playing for a few days before finishing it. And i always think "There's more stuff i can do (like character backgrounds from the detectives, or decorating the castle, leveling up all the characters to 60, getting everyone the best armor possible, and sharpening everyones weapons) So there's other times where i continue to play but i pretty much just waste time kind of.

Then the story ends, I must say good bye and I feel a little better knowing everyones next step in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: