Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mathias
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mathias Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How funny was this guy?

His whole deal involves following the foxy knight Isabel around... apparently exacting swift and divine restribution and depositing bodies in rivers or lakes or whatever.

He looks like an easygoing guy... but kind of in a situation like Reed and Samus... how he seems to be serving some woman... but I think he's there because he wants to be. Maybe he's hitting that.

Also, he doesn't seem to have any problem letting Isabel jump on him, so I think that the pain and pleasure mix into some kind of perfect date that is illegal under current German law.

BTW doesn't Mathias look an awful lot like Salome? It's almost creepy.

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, it was "final retribution," not divine. And yeah, you're right... the resemblance to Salome is pretty unnerving.

"That Salome looks too much like me! I shall exact final retribution upon him, and deposit his loathsome corpse into the nearest lake!"
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first time I saw Mathias, it was late and I was confused. So when he said "I will exact final retribution", I didn't think he meant exact as a verb.

:(

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Mathias' dialogue was pretty funny. I laughed out loud at one of the final retribution comments he made...I forget which one...that's about all that he says anyhow. And they're all the same I suppose, one of them just struck me as funnier than the others. I've always had a soft spot for the Maximillian Knights though, so I'm glad that there's a pair of them in Suikoden V.

Also, his facial features are kinda similar to Salome...but the hair is different enough to comfort me. But then, perhaps it's just that I haven't played Suikoden III since the first month after it came out, or something.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that it is nice that in his quotes the place to dump the corpses always changes - a river, a creek, a lake, a bog... And I think he actually enjoys dumping the corpses of evil-doers into something damp and deep - when you remove him from your party he says "Well, let me know if any corpses need to be deposited in large bodies of water."

I also like his castle quote: "Please speak with Lady Isabel and not me. My only purpose is to live and die at mylady's command."

And I don't think he looks like Salome at all - much younger, more handsome, completely different hair and facial features.

Coketastic wrote:
so I think that the pain and pleasure mix into some kind of perfect date that is illegal under current German law.

I don't get that.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mathias is awesome. I think his portrait looks very statuesque, heroic, like Greek and Roman heroes. Also, I think he's from the Warrior's Village, based on his weapon. It also pretty much confirms that he and Isabel have a thing.
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

His weapon is interesting looking...

it's the same kinda of weapon Kirke used, which I believe is called a bardiche... as for his resemblence to Salome, it's in the face.

I was also wondering about Isabel, how is she related to Max...?

It's like: Gary and Ema > (few generations) > Max > (one more) > Frederick

Is Isabel (or Izzy, as someone called her), like Max's sister or daughter or something? Just wondering.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isabel states that her father served the Maximillian Knights before it was dissolved. It seems likely that she is not related to Max.

As for Mathias' habit of depositing corpses in bodies of water, I wonder if this is a personal habit of his or if it's something he acquired during his many battles with evil-doers.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sami wrote:
It also pretty much confirms that he and Isabel have a thing.

No, it only confirms that Mathias admires Isabel. But his bath scene with Isato and Dinn proves that Mathias and Isabel are by no means romantically involved, nor is he even interested in her in that way.

Sami wrote:
I think his portrait looks very statuesque, heroic, like Greek and Roman heroes.

I thought the same thing when I first saw him.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My speculation is that Mathias is from the Warrior's Village in Toran Republic (Scarlet Moon Empire actually at this point in time). His weapon is called "Isabel" and when you level it up it becomes "Isabel+" and "Isabel++".

We also know that the warriors from Warrior Village serve their female of choice with an undying loyaly. Just as Flik did for Odessa and Hix learned in Suikoden I and II to do for Tengaar. This would easily explain his undying admiration and loyalty to Isabel.

His regal look also reminded me very much of Salome Harras. I doubt though that they are in any way related because in terms of time Salome is already alive and in his teens or twenties. Also if my speculation of Mathias being from Warrior's Village is true, then its certain because Salome is a life long Zexener. Oh and about the "roman or greek statuesque" I sort of agree but I would say he looks more like a prince valiant olde english knight than a roman or greek bust.

Coketastic wrote:
It's like: Gary and Ema > (few generations) > Max > (one more) > Frederick

What source did you get that Gary and Ema were related to Maximillian? It does sound familiar, but is that true? I always thought Gary was Wario on a diet.

Mathias is really a great character to use too, he's on my final team because he's just too cool to not use. Not to mention his power is through the roof. Mow Down pwns.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:

What source did you get that Gary and Ema were related to Maximillian? It does sound familiar, but is that true? I always thought Gary was Wario on a diet.

If I remember correctly, Gary has a necklace with the Maximillion insignia, and at the end of the game it tells you that they travel north in the name of justice and all that.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is confirmed that Gary and Ema are ancestors of the Maximillian Knights. I don't have any specific proof right now, but take our word for it.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aside from Gary's last name being Maxamillion, him wearing the symbol of the order and him looking exactly like Max from suikoden 1 and 2?

Yeah, not much evidence...

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow... I used Mathias and Isabel just briefly when they first joined me but I never checked out his weapon...

If that is true (I haven't played the game yet today but I wll check later), then Mathias MUST be from Warrior's Village.

So how he met Isabel, is still a mystery right?

I wasn't sure she was a relative of Max's, because of the time period, Max would've been 40-ish right? And she couldn't be Frederick's mother... due to the age problemsI think. Besides, Frederick doesn't really look like Max, Isabel or Mathias. Frederick looks like his own badass self... being one of the "tanks" of S3. Maybe they should put up a section on this "family", because alot of the connection seems either implied or just vaguely aluded to.

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When you talk to Mathias on the final 'nighttime' scene he spills all the information on his relationship with Isabel. He likens it to Lyon and Hero4 which I tend to agree with, I haven't seen that bath scene though.

I may be wrong but he does say something about his father serving Isabel's father, then the two of them becoming the next generation. Isabel also says at during the same night sequence that the Maximillian knights disbanded which caused her father great greif and she ran away to 'chase down evil' on her own, saying her father did the same thing ( either at a similar time or once before ).

While this is just speculation it may be possible looking at ages that Isabel is the daughter of Suiko 1/2 Max. They may have just gone seperate ways.

The both of these knights are monsters in combat, Isabel was my tank from the second I got her, using the arrow formation she is basically invulnerable. The only time I ever saw her die was in the final boss fight where her firefly rune combined with my obsession with keeping canopy defense up thwarted my heals!

Mathias himself however seems to be a Sancho/Rico type of follower, but really useful in combat for once. Throw double-edge and drain runes on him and wow - 2400 crits at around level 45 on multiple opponents, that is awesome.

Their unite attack ( i had fury on Isabel and double-edge on Mathias ) does 2000 odd damage every time, even to the final boss. I will work on a one round victory for that when I get my second play through, if I get both with Power / Double-edge ( and Fury in Mathias' third slot ) that unite is going to tear down anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: