Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Teenagers passing out racist fliers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't dance around definitions and semantics.

Racism is the discrimination of a person or persons based on their race. This applies to minorities, majorities. It applies to what you find attractive and what you find unattractive. It applies if it negatively impacts a specific race and if it positively impacts a specific race. If you prefer girls of Asian extraction over those of black or white or any other extraction, you are racist, and so on.

Racism as a word carries an extremely heavy negative meaning. However, it is the extent of that racism which determines whether it becomes a problem and a detriment to society or people as a whole.

If anyone thinks Scarlet Assassin has discriminated against anyone based on their race, you think he's a racist. It IS really that simple. His line about "all the breaks in life" was in fact a comment made ABOUT him. Fact is, SA was racially discriminated against by what happened in that incident.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I said that it's not racism because for the most part it is the creator of the channel, who is very well black, who has made a lot of those ideas and decisions. So are you saying he's racist against black people because he decided to sell out, and allow only stereotypical things about black people to appear on his channel? No, he's most definitely not racist, but he's not really doing us a favor either.

Also, just thinking someone discriminated against another person's race makes them a racist, is not only illfounded but also a shortcut to a much bigger answer. Everyone here has discriminated against someone or held SOME prejudice in their life. Sometimes it's race, sometimes it's body weight (see Arcana's obese thread), sometimes it's sex. I think a lot of females are awful drivers, well golly John, I must be sexist because I discriminated against a woman, huh? I think many black people are annoying, and I'm black myself. I can't stand ebonics and make fun of people who use it on a daily basis. I discriminate against my race. Through your logic, my Texas compadre, I must be racist!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would you automatically assume a bad driver is a woman or if you heard a story of a bad driver would you automatically assume the driver was female without any indication given? If so then, by golly, yes you are whether you want to say it or not.

Besides, I am following the definition of racism. You are not. You are making your own little sub-categories and the like based on what you want to attempt some sort of yoga-like contortion where you only have to use the term 'racism' on the really mean people.

Racism is the discrimination against someone based on race. If that makes you uncomfortable for whatever reason and you want to change it so it only applies to only the top dogs in the racism charts then go ahead but don't expect me to pretend that the dictionary definition is wrong just because you feel bad about it.

EDIT: By the way, it's not impossible to discriminate against your own race and I don't feel you get magic immunity just because by fate you happened to be born black or white or purple with green stripes.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't it's not impossible to discriminate against your own race, but since I hang out with many black people, I wouldn't identify myself as racist either.

But alas, I'm off to go out to eat with a few folks, I'll continue this later.
Keo

JutsuNinjas

1161 Potch
4 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there just some dumb group of kids.

Sure they do have a right to there own thoughts, but when they go and hand it out it becomes wrong.

I also think its wrong that only 1 out of the 5 of theme got nailed is wrong.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Teacher suspended for calling his student a "niggah".

http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=4 9293&catId=49

It's actually a pretty amusing video. :P

As for the topic.

Dictionary.com wrote:
rac·ism Audio pronunciation of "racism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

However, the connotation of racism is negative. Let me use John's example.

A man likes Asian girls and prefers to date Asian girls at school. He doesn't really like black girls and never asks them out. Why? He likes physical characteristics of Asian girls more than Black girls. Black girls just don't turn him on.

By definition #2, this man is racist. However, one would hardly to up to him and say, "Hey, because you like Asian girls, you're racist." The word racist has a very negative connotation that is associated with Definition 1.

By Definition 2, Scarlet Assassin is racist. Himuro is also racist. I'm racist, too. By definition 2, I'm sure that no one here can honestly say that they've never somehow discriminated, thought up a stereotype, or separated someone based on race.

What we are really concerned with is fairness -- is it fair that there's a Black history month, but no Caucasian history month? Is it fair, and important that there be just as many black CEOs as there are white CEOs, Asian CEOs, and Indian CEOs?

It's not about equal distribution - but equal opportunity. If a white kid and a black kid are raised in the same neighbourhood, and do equally well in school, then both apply to the same job, then the probability that one kid is selected over the other kid should be identical. Of course, there is a heavy influence from the person who's doing the hiring.

I've heard about people who had traditional Indian names applying for tech jobs and spamming their resumes out, and receiving no calls. When one man decided to change his name to a more Americanized name and sent out the same resume, he started receiving many calls. This suggests that there is still a bias toward ethnicity. Unfortunately, the evidence I present here is anecdotal.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
However, the connotation of racism is negative. Let me use John's example.

A man likes Asian girls and prefers to date Asian girls at school. He doesn't really like black girls and never asks them out. Why? He likes physical characteristics of Asian girls more than Black girls. Black girls just don't turn him on.

By definition #2, this man is racist. However, one would hardly to up to him and say, "Hey, because you like Asian girls, you're racist." The word racist has a very negative connotation that is associated with Definition 1.

By Definition 2, Scarlet Assassin is racist. Himuro is also racist. I'm racist, too. By definition 2, I'm sure that no one here can honestly say that they've never somehow discriminated, thought up a stereotype, or separated someone based on race.

Which was, of course, entirely my point in the first place. This means of course, that there's little point, at least in a reasonable debate on an internet forum, to dance around BS scemantics and qualifiers in order to avoid using the dreaded R-word even when it's entirely applicable.

Quote:
What we are really concerned with is fairness -- is it fair that there's a Black history month, but no Caucasian history month? Is it fair, and important that there be just as many black CEOs as there are white CEOs, Asian CEOs, and Indian CEOs?

We must take into account that Black History Month was essentially established to help tell the history of the black community whereas most people going to an American public school can plainly see that the textbooks effectively make every term White History Term.

The second is, I assume rhetorical.

Quote:
It's not about equal distribution - but equal opportunity. If a white kid and a black kid are raised in the same neighbourhood, and do equally well in school, then both apply to the same job, then the probability that one kid is selected over the other kid should be identical. Of course, there is a heavy influence from the person who's doing the hiring.

But what qualifier do you use to determine whether the person doing the hiring is racist in such a situation? If he picks the white kid, he's racist and if he doesn't he's a nice guy after all? In such a situation, which is being encouraged, the stigma of racism merely shifts onto the white person.

Quote:
I've heard about people who had traditional Indian names applying for tech jobs and spamming their resumes out, and receiving no calls. When one man decided to change his name to a more Americanized name and sent out the same resume, he started receiving many calls. This suggests that there is still a bias toward ethnicity. Unfortunately, the evidence I present here is anecdotal.

Yes, there is. This is mostly fueled by stereotypes (lazy immigrants and the like) or unfounded worries based on their names (must be foreign with a poor grasp of the language) and in rare cases political and geographical ignorance (India, that's kinda near that Iraq place, I don't need no potential terrorist).
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's going to take me a year and a half to quote everything and respond to everything, so I'm going to start fresh and give my perspective and run from there.

First off, I describe myself as Cablinasian [like Tiger Woods - White, Black, Native American, and Chinese]. Up until recently though, the only thing I could check off was 'Black, Non-Hispanic'. Gotta love those new census forms, where you can check off everything and its mother. My father is white [he looks like he could be cast as an extra in 'The Sopranos' and my mother is black.

Growing up, I grew up in what most people would call a poor neighborhood. High crime, lots of drugs, prostitution, all sorts of undesirable things. I went to a lower-income elementary school, where the teachers were some of the best teachers I ever came into contact with, and regardless of our income, every kid there wanted to learn. The problem was at that time [the early 80's, no less], my poor school wasn't funded enough to have a special program for Gifted / Talented kids. I skipped two grades in school for that reason alone. My parents then decided to transfer me to a school where there was a Gifted program. This school was in an all-white neighborhood, and from then on, I was usually the only black kid in the entire class and I took a lot of abuse for it. I've even heard one parent in my earshot tell me that it had to be some sort of mistake that I was in that Gifted class - that someone felt sorry for me and that was why I was there. I was in those classes because regardless of my income or where I lived, I had parents that wanted me to work hard and stayed on me about my grades and wanted me to do my very best so that nobody could say anything about where I came from, my achievements would define who I was, and not my skin color or my street address. I feel bad that not every school now can be funded equally, but you ever notice that most of the so-called 'good' schools in the white neighborhoods, they have parents that show up to everything, PTA meetings and clubs and tutoring, all sorts of things like that. In lower income schools, you don't see half the parent involvement.

Anyway, all through Elementary School, on to Junior High School and up into 10th grade at the mostly-white high school, I was always looked down on. Hell, the high school I went to, the principal flat out told my mom that it would look great for them to have as many minorities as possible in their Gifted program. [Of course, that man got promoted into School Administration..Oy, incompetence...] but I ended up leaving that school to go to another school for their Orchestra program. At my new high school I experienced black-on-black racism for the first time - tell me all you want to about white people hating on black people for all sorts of things, but black people are horrendous about hating on their own. Poor black people see light-skinned me in the hallway and call me all sorts of names because I was actually trying to get ahead in life instead of just hanging around all day, and my perception was that every person darker than I was was always up to no good and wouldn't ever have anything going for them in life. To this day, I won't date anyone darker than I am. I don't doubt for a minute that schools can be racially charged places to be, but you can't ever use that as an excuse for where you are in life. In school, you do your best and let your works speak for you. My last year in high school, I actually got a National Merit [Negro] Semi-Finalist award. Can you believe that? In 1992, an award that actually says NEGRO on it.

So I ended up going to college. I won a good number of minority scholarships, but the one that paid for all four years wasn't based on race, it was just like a job interview - fill out the form, send it in, and wait for a board to review it and send you a letter back. College opened my eyes to a lot of things - racism is a lot more subtle there, and black people subscribe to the 'crabs in the pot theory' [where one crab tries to get out and do better, and the others drag the back in] even worse than they did in high school. We as black people do enough to ourselves without having to continually and consistently point the finger at others for our own failings.

Now I'm 30, and I am on the low end of middle-class, and mother of a 3 year old. I don't doubt that someone with more money would have increased opportunities to make their child's life as good as it can be, but I sure as hell am not going to subscribe to the notion that I can't do well for my child because I don't have all the money in the world. I'm an involved parent, I go to meetings and help with homework and donate what little time I have to my child's school. If I fail my child, it's not because of some system that's designed to 'keep her down', it's because I as a parent didn't do enough to help my child learn, or keep her away from the bad things that could set her down the wrong path. Don't you think Black parents in some part would be a little better off if they all had that particular mentality, instead of letting their kids be guinea pigs for what the media expects them to do? I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, and half of the things that Black people attribute to 'racism' to me are just excuses to not get out there and just try harder or work harder.

That being said:

I myself do not have a problem with Black History Month, however I think there should be a more concerted effort to include the efforts and achievements of African-Americans into daily learning. Example: Next time you eat a peanut butter sandwich, you've got George Washington Carver to thank for it. See? You learned something, and it's March [which, technically, is now Women's History Month]! ^_^

I have mad issues with BET - they used to be a pretty good channel until as someone pointed out earlier, they started pandering to the lowest common denominator and flaunting every bad stereotype about us. At least now, there's TvOne, another channel showing positive black people and thank you very much, NO RAP. I can't say all rap is bad, just most of what is shown on BET. MTV does the same thing.

I have issues with Affirmative Action - what would be so wrong about turning in a resume that has no mention of race and being selected to a school that way? If there aren't enough Black people in the school, that just means that you have to try harder to get your grades up, do more community service and extra-curricular activities to make your profile look better. Why blame a program or other people for one's own shortcomings?

In closing, with all of my words, I do believe there is racism in this world, on both sides, and even within our own races. What I would like to know is, where does it stop being a matter of racism and it starts being a matter of an individual's responsibility to themselves and their community to succeed? When do our failures stop being someone else's fault?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
We must take into account that Black History Month was essentially established to help tell the history of the black community whereas most people going to an American public school can plainly see that the textbooks effectively make every term White History Term.

Right. So, I don't know anything about American public schooling from personal experience, but, due to the formal foundation of the country, Western history is deeply rooted in Europe; it also happened that mostly white people lived in Europe.

Racism (and we're going back to definition 2) is not only about considering one race superior, but also excluding a race. Those kids probably felt that Black History Month is somehow exclusionary - that the white kids don't get a month like the black kids did. Of course, this is not the case. Black history month does not exclude anyone.

Quote:
The second is, I assume rhetorical.

Yes, the second was a rhetorical question - it's just that I've seen a lot of throwing around of statistics (such as the "No black students were accepted to Universities that removed AA rules"), and equaity is usually measured by the proportion of any one group in a certain position. The example with Women CEOs is a good instance here - many people cite the lack of women CEOs as an example of why women are still being held back in the workplace. This implies that, before men and women are considered as equals in the workplace, there must be an equal number of women and men as CEOs.

Quote:
But what qualifier do you use to determine whether the person doing the hiring is racist in such a situation? If he picks the white kid, he's racist and if he doesn't he's a nice guy after all? In such a situation, which is being encouraged, the stigma of racism merely shifts onto the white person.

I presented the example precisely because we can't really qualify the situation so clearly. Is the man being racist, or is he just picking what he knows? Is he being fair or unfair? In this case, I would have to simply give the employer the benefit of the doubt unless he does something that visibly excludes black people; for example, if he had two black interviewees, who were both suitable for the job, but then decides not to hire either of them. Even in this case, before we could accurately cry "racist!" we'd have to somehow pick the employer's brain and see if he said, "Yeah, I didn't hire him because he was black."

And hereby comes the world of political correctness - because everyone receives the benefit of the doubt, and everyone is innocent until "proven" guilty, people have to appear as neutral as possible in every situation, because, in many situations, showing favouritism can be construed just as negatively as showing disapproval.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am going to do a slight change of topic and talk about the dominance of Western History in history courses and why it is done, because it's not to take focus off of other cultures and diminish them or to say that Western culture and history is more important. It may do this, but it is not the intention.

First off, I want to talk about why I believe history is taught in school and the benefits of education for a society and why governments want people to be educated. I believe that education is around to help create more intelligent members of the work force so that they may contribute more to their professions and advance the society that they are in. Departments in school (history, math, etc) are chosen to be taught to advance society by thier relevance in the current society. American education forces people to take more English and Math courses in High School because English and Math are everywhere in American society and underadning those subjects will benfeit a peron in AMerican society more than a diffent subject. American society doesn't force a foreign language ( I wasn't made to learn a foreign language to graduate, this might be a prerequisite for graduation now as the rise of non- English speakers in America rises) because it's not as beneifical to the majority of the American population as arithmeitc and reading are. Given that time is a factor, the more important classes are going to need to be focused on as there won't be time to take all the classes. This may seem like common sense, but I just wanted to get this pointed out. Essentially, I want to say that education is around for the practical day-to-day benefit of members of a society in their interaction with said society.

Going by what I see education's worth for society being, I think it is understandable why Western Culture is focused on in history. Since Western Culture is (some may disagree here) the most worldy influential culture in our present age and it is definitely the most influental in Western countries, it being taught about it would seem to the logical goal if you are going to teach people how to interact in their society. Africa has many rich cultures and a very interesting history, but knowing about that won't benefit people as mcuh as knowing how the dominant force on the planet came to be how it is or how to interact with said force. It's a about practical value. I'd love for schools to teach more about Africa, but I see very little practical value in it and I see much more in learning about Western cultures,
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And this excuses the following, as supplied by a school teacher in Philadelphia...

- Lynching, which killed thousands of blacks and was one of the primary instruments for enforcing the racial caste system that existed in America from the 1880's until the 1960's, gets two paragraphs.

- Woodrow Wilson's personal racism, his segregation of the Federal government, his role in the rebirth of the Klan in the 1910's and 1920's, is not mentioned at all.

- Northern complicity in segregation gets a few sentences.

- Redlining is not mentioned, let alone the fact it was official Federal government policy until well into the 1940s.

- The Harlem Renaissance is virtually a footnote in the Roaring 20's chapter.

...how?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You say that Western history is taught because it "advances society by its relevance in its current society", and state that Western culture is focused on in history. The implication here is that, because Western culture is important to today's society, and Western culture is the focus in history, therefore, we should teach Western history.

How can Western culture ever not be the focus of history then, by this logic, if Western culture is always important (and thus, will be recorded in history as "important")? I cannot help but feel that your assumptions are too strong.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
And this excuses the following, as supplied by a school teacher in Philadelphia...

- Lynching, which killed thousands of blacks and was one of the primary instruments for enforcing the racial caste system that existed in America from the 1880's until the 1960's, gets two paragraphs.

- Woodrow Wilson's personal racism, his segregation of the Federal government, his role in the rebirth of the Klan in the 1910's and 1920's, is not mentioned at all.

- Northern complicity in segregation gets a few sentences.

- Redlining is not mentioned, let alone the fact it was official Federal government policy until well into the 1940s.

- The Harlem Renaissance is virtually a footnote in the Roaring 20's chapter.

...how?

I must have had a much different school than this one because I was taught alot about Wilson's racism, lynching and the Harlem Renaissance. Although I wonder how much can be focused on lynching, considering it was just one of the many ways that blacks were oppressed legally and criminally. Focusing on it too much ( you stated two paragraphs, I can recall a page or two. Yes, it's not much more, but in a history book that was 700 pages I find that to be an ample amount) got would seem, to me, to be overkill, considering all of the other acts and laws put into place that oppressed blacks.

I had to look up what you meant my complicity, as I didn't recognize the term, but I learned about the North profitting off of slavery and segregation.

Quote:
You say that Western history is taught because it "advances society by its relevance in its current society", and state that Western culture is focused on in history. The implication here is that, because Western culture is important to today's society, and Western culture is the focus in history, therefore, we should teach Western history.

How can Western culture ever not be the focus of history then, by this logic, if Western culture is always important (and thus, will be recorded in history as "important")? I cannot help but feel that your assumptions are too strong.

When you say "How can Western culture ever not be the focus of history then", are you speaking of 'history' in Western Cultures of the present age or of other ages and cultures? I am unsure of what you are asking.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The argument seems to be circular. "Because Western Culture is relevant in our present, and is based on history, Western history relevant in our present."
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every part of history should be relevent, not just one part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: