Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Teenagers passing out racist fliers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Teenagers passing out racist fliers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://media.putfile.com/Racist-Fliers

-_-

Words cannot describe my emotions on this subject....
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, it never really said that the flier was racist, just that it talked about unfair societal situation against the supposed racial majority. The only mention racism was the supposed slurs on the page which the news station couldn't read (meaning its possible that they weren't really racist, but just taken in the wrong context, since we don't know what it says, we can't judge for sure). What really got me about this news report is when they interviewed the two heavy set black girls and the one said it would be rediculous to celebrate a white history month. If so, then why isn't black history rediculous. It's a definite double standard in the United States. African Americans get an entire month of their culture, asians get a day or two, mexicans get one day, and there is always a multicultural day in school (white isn't considered a culture for this case, or atleast it wasn't at my high school, which was quite diverse), the closest thing to a cultural day for whites is St. Patricks Daywhich wasn't even a culture day it was a religious holiday taken by the public as a day to get drunk. But its not just whites, but also Native Americans and Middle Easterners aren't considered for culture either. This topic also reminds me of an old friend in high school (he was actually an alumni with the band). He had tried to setup a European Club at the school. Why not? They had a Black Student Union, an Asian Club, A Pacific Islanders Club, a Latino group (I forget what they called themselves), but a European Club was throughly rejected and got huge grief, particularly from the Black Student Union. There was nothing racist about his intent, europeans do have culture, culture which was a huge founding of this country, but it was flat out rejected because the african-american students found it offensive. In that way, all such groups are racist and shouldn't be allowed, but if someone tried to shut down such groups, that would also be construed as racist activity. Why have we allowed this country to fall into such horrible unbalance just because we don't want to appear to have a racist nation. The fact will always remain, there will always be racial seperation of some sort, but the government cannot allow particular groups to much leway(sp?) and others absolutely none at all just because one group has a stronger history of being on the receiving end of racism. What I'm trying to get to is that everyone, regardless of any factors, should be completely equal, with no exceptions, free to be angry, free to dress as they please, and free to celebrate in their own way. As long as noone is harmed by such activity, why should any such thing be banned or frowned upon?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Teenagers passing out racist fliers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/Racist-Fliers

-_-

Words cannot describe my emotions on this subject....

That doesn't describe your position, though.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
African Americans get an entire month of their culture, asians get a day or two, mexicans get one day, and there is always a multicultural day in school

I agree. The whole "Black History Month" concept (and all other analogous concepts) is ludicrous. First of all, it is inherently unfair, and making these meaningless amends for slavery serves no one. Racism is real, but time would be better spent not talking about it but actually doing stuff to prevent it. Black History Month fails to do any such "stuff."

The biggest problem with it is that Black History Month itself seperates African-American culture and history from all other cultures and histories. Its very existence seems to suggest that blacks are an inherently distinct group and should be relegated to one month. Morgan Freeman (a famous black actor, for those of you not in the States) has said, "You want to reduce my history to a month?" or something to that effect.

We're all humans. Do we need to be given specific times to celebrate each other?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, "white" is an amalgamation. For a long time, the Irish were not considered white. They were considered their own race, and faced quite a bit of prejudice. Eventually they became such a huge part of American Culture, and their accents started slipping away that they were considered to part of the norm, which is "white". The definition of "white" constantly changes.

There's no white history month, because what you study in school is white history. The purpose of Black History Month is to raise awareness about Black achievements that were glossed over. It's a reaction to not having any exposure for a long time.

European club doesn't make sense. Europe is too diverse to group into such a category. Austrian club, yeah; French club, yeah; Czech club, yeah; but Europe is way too broad. It's just a way of getting around calling it "white" club, which like I said, is just an arbitrary term. Latin groups, black groups, etc. share a specific culture/history. "White" does not. In addition, those clubs aren't allowed to ban members based on race. A "white" kid can join an African American Club, or an Asian Club (I actually this a lot); the only thing stopping them is their own fears, and the perceptions of the group, which can overcome.

Anyway, those kids were pretty stupid. One of them brought a good point about being called "Honky" which shouldn't be allowed, but that's not enough reason to do something this extreme.

I'd be interested in knowing what the racial slurs were.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree somewhat. There SHOULDN'T be a need for Black History month. However, when all we ever learn in school is from the white perspective and not everyone else's perspective, and we rarely ever touch on the other cultures that have helped create America, then what are going to do? Just make people forget? The white people have their history every single day, month, year, whatever, but for people like us who really can't even trace our family bloodlines further than the late 1800's because of slavery, yeah, we'd like to know our history. If you haven't noticed, everything is white in the country despite it's diverse population. Every tv channel is white, most advertisements are white. When some people of another ethnic group have their own thing for awhile, the white people go batshit. What's with that? Until they full integrate everyone's history into American textbooks it's needed. In fact, I, as a black person, wish that Asian had their own month and Hispanics as well to balance it out. It's all American history but unfortunately we never learn about it.

Last edited by Himuro on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

European doesn't exactly specify white, because australians are also white, not to mention Spain is part of Europe. If I had wanted to study European culture in school with a group of my peers and be allowed to gather on school campus, why should that not be allowed. There is a definite amount of culture from Europe, though other cultures would say there is none. This is only because this country was founded on European culture, so its just the norm to Americans, but it is certainly there. For one example, much of the music that we listen to today, even pop music and rock, has strong foundations from western classical music, which comes mostly from England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia and other surrounding countries.

Edit: this last statment is made clear for any who read/play music as much of music is written in either english, german, french, or italian.
Also, to himuro. We don't learn white history in America, we learn US history, Global History, and how our Government and Economics systems work. The emphasis is not on white culture, it is on American culture. If you payed attention in high school, there was much reference to injustice and inequality in early America towards African-Americans, Asians, and Irish (as, I believe, Camus mentioned) Edit: oops sorry, Shrew
Shrew

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is the path of white history? Greeks-Romans-Medieval Europe-Renaissance-Industrial Age-Modern Times. Maybe you had a different world history class, but that's pretty much what we studied in it. Oh, there was a chapter or two on China, a nation which was often powerful than the west at any of those given times. We never studied the Arab nations, even though they were much more advanced than Medieval Europe, and keep the scientific advance of the Greeks alive during that period until the Renaissance saw a revival of interest in Europe. Most Greek texts we have today are translations from Arabic.

My point is that world history courses tend to be focused on Western civilization, "white civilization", because that is what is currently in power. We tend to follow the forces that went into developing America, the west, while ignoring those that created other powers in China and India.

There is a great deal of talk about inequality in class, but only in regards to America or western imperialism. You don't spend much time studying the history of Africa, or much of Asia. In fact, the China chapters in my classes focused mainly on the fall of China, when it was taken over by western Imperialist nations. Heck, even Japan doesn't get much focus until the Meiji Restoration, when in began being influenced by the west.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't study Western History. It's important to know where we came from, and how history works. But the history of other cultures and nations is also important, and needs more recognition.

And you just proved my point that European is too broad a concept. You talk about how Spain is also in Europe, and is not "white". Europe is too divided to just have a huge club devoted to it. There is too much, and each nation is very different. The music of England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, and Russia are all different and have their own unique traits. They are not just European music.

No one is denying that countries in Europe have cultures, I'm just saying that "Europe" as a whole does not have a single definable culture. Trying to create a European Club is like trying to make a "White" Club because both are just amalgamations of several distinct groups.

I mean, what is white? Depending on your definition, Jews are not white, Spaniards are not white, Irish are not white, Eastern Europeans are not white, Italians are not white, people of mixed race (say 1/16th black) are not white, Turks are not white, Germans are not white, French are not white, Scandinavians are not white. In the end, all you're left with is Anglo-Saxon is white, and really, how many people are Anglo-Saxon.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't saying that Spanish are not white, I was simply saying that they are a part of Europe, though most people associate them, rather, with Mexico and South America. As far as music, I was talking about Western Classical, which I have studied. Yes there are differences between different parts of Europe and there take on classical music, but it is called Western Classical, because it is the classical or original styles of music in the western world. Also if you break down the musical roots, most come from Germany, but all Western classical music has the same foundations, even though there are subtle differences. And, all europeans are considered white until you break them down to point of origin, in which terms such as black, white, brown, yellow, and pink dissapear. "White" is basically racial profiling. People are people, and should be looked at as such, not as one the billion miriad colors of the rainbow. You say that European is too broad, but think of the fiasco that would occur if my friend in high school had said he wanted to start a German Club. Because of the strong sense of racial hatred towards the Germans due to there past Human Rights crimes, I would be suprised if complaints about his endeavors ended at just the local 10 o'clock news. Like I said before, his point was never one of racism and he (and his older brother, who I also knew) were very bright people, but also came from a diverse background and society. I live in the East San Francisco Bay Area. There is to much diversity in this area for any smart person to put there @$$ on the line by being so stupid as to be racist!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Shrew

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was a German club at my school. Granted, it focused on speaking the language, but it also covered German culture and history.

If you start a German Club and focus on why Germans are better than everyone else because they have cooler culture and drink beer, then yes, that is wrong. If you start a German Club to focus on how German Culture is different and how it is different, but not neccesarily better than anything, that is great! If someone complains about that, then yes, I agree they are stupid.

I don't think your friend is stupid or racist for trying to start a European Club. He just felt that because there are Black Clubs and Asian Clubs, there should be a club for everyone else. The problem is that there is no "Everyone Else". That's too broad. You can't divide the world into "Black" or "White"; "Africans, Asians, and Indians" or "European". It's a world of "Africans", "Asians", "Indians", "Germans", "French", "English", "Italians", etc. No group is better, each is merely different.

Fear our Vagueness.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
What is the path of white history? Greeks-Romans-Medieval Europe-Renaissance-Industrial Age-Modern Times. Maybe you had a different world history class, but that's pretty much what we studied in it.

As it happens, my world history class (in the United States) did in deed focus on the world. Starting with the birth of civilization in Mesopotamia, it then turned to India and China. After that, it flipped over to the West with Greece and Rome, to then turn to early civilizations in the Americas. After that, it focused on the rise of Islam in the Middle East (which granted an opportunity to examine the Byzantine Empire) and in Africa (which granted the opportunity to explore earlier African cultures).

After that, the next few chapters dealt with China and other East Asian civilizations. Finally, the course got to medieval Europe, about halfway through the course. Again, though, it moved to the Middle East and Asia.

By then, the course had proceeded to about the year 1800. Even though most of the following study was indeed based on the Western world, the course did not neglect the East, which was undergoing similar political change at that time. It then did a quick overview of Africa and Latin America, before finishing the unit with the two World Wars.

The last unit of the course focused heavily on the Cold War and the rise of nations in Latin America. However, the class's focus on the West ended with two more chapters left to study. The second-to-last dealt with developing nations in Africa and the political scene of the modern Middle East, while the last was on the rising superpowers in east Asia.

Okay, granted, that was an advanced college-level course. But my other World History class, from way back in middle school, studied seven civilizations (in this order): Greece, Rome, India, China, Medieval Europe, Japan, West Africa. The Japan and West Africa units of study were by far the most intensive.

Do either of those seem like "white history" classes?

TruePerception wrote:
but think of the fiasco that would occur if my friend in high school had said he wanted to start a German Club.

To once again use the analogy of my own education, my high school had an extremely active German Club. Funnily enough, no one ever brought charges of racism or Nazism. People managed to seperate all of German culture from the Nazis.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We're talking about American history here. What do you think white history is?
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*sigh* I really wanted to stay away from this topic. I knew I was going to be offended one way or another, but alas, here I am. Let's start on a happy note. At the very end of the video the news reporter looked pretty funny... Didn't he?

It was wrong for those kids to make those fliers, period, end of discussion. You can debate that the "poor kids wanted a club just like everyone else" that's ludicrous. They're just bigot little kids who where trying to be funny. I actually caught a few of them by pausing the video.

You have the United Negro College Fund
You have Martin Luther King Day.
You have Black History Month.
You have Cesar Chavez Day.
You have Yom Heehoah.
You have the NAACP.
You have BET.

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television) you would call us racist.
If we had a White Pride Day you would call us racist.
If we had a white history month, we'd be racist.

Blacks are allowed in Miss America... but they still have Miss
Miss "White America, we'd be racist.

If we had an organization for only whites to "advanc

If we had a college fund that only gave white students

In the Million Man March, you beloved that
If we marched for our race and rights you

Now, can you see where some people can get insulted? The whole tone of the filer sounded US vs THEM. If those kids were really tried of people calling him a "Honkey" why didn't he call a teacher? It's not like the administration is going to.....argh....never mind. Besides everything these kids have said, the one that gets me the most angry is the "The Million Man March" one, especially the last part which says "if we marched for our race and rights"

African Americans in America MARCHED because there fellow Americans did not believe that they had no right to vote in America. And the 40 aches and mule that the government promised that ever single African American would receive after slavery was abolished would have been helpful to say the least.

To say that Black History month is not needed, is an irresponsible statement. A lot of African Americans complain today, that they got the shortest month of the year. To say that it is not needed? That is just wrong. Why is Black history month important? Well, for educational standards for one, but also to remember all the people that fought for equal rights, and justice for all people.

I to, I'm California, actually from the bay area which is actually the most liberal place on earth! Even here there are racial hatred, towards Latinos. Although, everyone here calls them Mexican. Though, I have no Mexican blood in me, yet I get confused to be a Mexican.

I've been called many racist names,(trust me, they were not as nice as some mention on the news) I was looked down upon among other people because of my color. My father has seen in my hometown (which is today a VERY liberal place) a KKK rally taking place. People don't realize it, but at times, I feel like I live a in a different world than a "white" person. That is why black history month is important, and why kids who make such insulting remarks on school ground should be kicked out of school.

*phew* I'm glad I got that out of my chest. Oh, and please note, I did not mean to offend anyone, just giving my honest opinion.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can't get the media file to work, so am just going on what's said in the thread....

I think "Asian" club (or "African" club) is too broad as much as a "European" club would be; after all, the culture of Korea is different from the culture of India which in turn is different from the culture of Japan or China or any so many other countries. To have a "French" club and an "Asian club" is placing one European culture higher than all Asian cultures combined.

Quote:
We don't learn white history in America, we learn US history, Global History, and how our Government and Economics systems work. The emphasis is not on white culture, it is on American culture. If you paid attention in high school, there was much reference to injustice and inequality in early America towards African-Americans, Asians, and Irish (as, I believe, Camus mentioned)

U.S. History is incredibly self-selective though. How many people hear know that Christopher Columbus was heavily involved in the slave trade? (This is particularly blasphemous to leave out as it is the greater part of Columbus's legacy.) Did you know not only the Vikings and the Spanish beat him to the Americans, but there's fairly solid historical evidence Afro-Phoenicians did, too? Did you know Tisquantum (a.k.a. Squanto) was kidnapped, sold into slavery, and went on a journey that rivaled Odysseus's only to return home to find his village had been virtually wiped out by the diseases European settlers brought over with them?

How many were taught of the 1st Thanksgiving in school? (It's more a myth than anything historical. It's particularly offensive because it often portrays the Native Americans as ones who had never seen such a feast, but hell, it was the English who literally hadn't, as most of the traditional food served at the first thanksgiving was American in origin.)

It continues on to modern times, too. Were any of you taught exactly what Helen Keller did after learning to speak and went and graduated and become a crusader for the blind? (Major activist for Socialism, Suffrage, and yes, on behalf of the physically impaired. Very eloquent, too, but how funny how often the socialism part is left out, and sometimes even the suffrage.) Did anyone learn about Woodrow Wilson reinstituted segregation in the government for the first time since Lincoln had been president. How many cover the Espionage Act or the Sedition Act? Or his military intervention in foreign countries?

There's a lot that gets tossed by the wayside, including some of the more important stuff! Unfortunately, history textbooks are afraid of controversy. (For a reasonable reason; some states won't allow you to use textbooks that contain something they find offensive (as a (completely hypothetical) example, Alabama probably would not like to see a textbook with a picture o a lynching in Alabama), and any state that doesn't allow the book to be taught, well, the book won't sell well there (obviously). So the basic strategy now is to make them as inoffensive as possible; present everything as straight fact (even when it isn't) and omit any "bad" traits of American history, so no one in power will be offended.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD

Last edited by Sophita on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did you also know that when the US defeated Spain in the islands of the Philippines. the country a colony becomes a colony again in the hands of the US.

ironic that US back then had colonized another country, when she itself fought for freedom from it's colonizers.

cmon "where is the love?''

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: