Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 2 = boring?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Suikoden 2 = boring? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

During the last couple weeks I managed to get a friend of mine to try the suikoden series because he had never tried any of them. So far he's finally completed a successful 108 character run-through of suikoden 1. I watched him beat it... so I could take his "M-named hero" data so next time I played 2 I could have a "McDohl" instead of a "RcDohl"... damn that glitch... I thought Hero 1 looked like a "Remy" and forgot about it.

I was like "cool, one down", then I left.

Now he moved on to play suikoden 2. He played it for about 2 hours and then called me. He told me that the game seemed worse and more boring than the first one. Without full on attacking me... how do you think someone could come to this conclusion?

Now... the most obvious would be that Suikoden 2 doesn't exactly start off as interesting. He couldn't wait to get out of the mercenary fort. And he said that the first two characters he got were "a wussy-ass kobold who sucks, and a three-year-old that throws rocks". He then complained about Zamza too, and at that point I smacked him (over the phone). He said he got to Muse and saved it if he decides to play it again.

What to do... what to do... I just told him that the game gets way better, but he said the battle music really sucks too... and he'll be hearing that the rest of the game.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suikoden 2 doesn't really get interesting until you get your castle after you beat neclord.every thing before that is a bit boring so i can see why he says that.i can see why he also complained about zamza cause he does suck.his rune hurts at least half his hp so there's no point in him unless you have the fire sealing rune.i would say for you to get him out of muse and get him to the neclord battle.then maybe he'll pick it up more since he prolly doesn't know neclord will be in it if this is his first time playing and if he didn't read any thing about it.

if and when if he decides to finish 2,and wants to try 3 you better warn him about it since it's a lot longer and a bit boring than 2.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey... no Zamza bashing... He ROXORS with a rage rune, and a fire-sealing rune also makes him immune to "Luca Blight"-type damage.

...and I'm really trying not to spoil anything for him, because somebody spoiled something MAJOR for me the time I played one. The guy who got me into the series asked me how far I was. I replied with "I think I'm almost done, we're about to go to this water fort." He then asked me if Sanchez betrayed me yet.

Didn't wanna tell this "n00b" that Neclord comes back, maybe he'll have to same reaction we all did...

I did tell him to make sure he got Leon and Mace around Moravia castle time though... just cause they got time-windows that close.

He also said he wants to kill Yuber for "running off"... maybe I should tell him to wait until Suikoden 8: Revenge of Jowy Blight's Grandson?

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you can defeat yuber in battles,that can be close enough for him.ya don't tell him about neclord coming back.first time i saw that i was like holly $hit.that was the first time i played it.

El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Suikoden 2 = boring? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coketastic wrote:
Now he moved on to play suikoden 2. He played it for about 2 hours and then called me. He told me that the game seemed worse and more boring than the first one. Without full on attacking me... how do you think someone could come to this conclusion?

To be honest, I hated Suikoden 2 for a time.. but my reasons were different from his. (See, I was to Suikoden 2 as most folks were to Suikoden 4) In his case, I think he does just need to get past the North Window/Neclord stuff like Buff says (though you don't get to beat Neclord until later :P). Every time I play the game now, I can't wait to get to that point because I know it's all good from there.

Quote:
He then complained about Zamza too, and at that point I smacked him (over the phone).

Wow, you've got skills. :P

Quote:
What to do... what to do... I just told him that the game gets way better, but he said the battle music really sucks too... and he'll be hearing that the rest of the game.

I wouldn't say the battle music sucks, but some tunes leave much to be desired. He'll probably scream if he listens to the Muse theme long enough.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

since i have my surround sound speakers on my ps2,when i get 2 muse the music just annoys the crap out of me.

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II is an RPG and suffers from a few flaws, especially at the beginning where the characters aren't that engaging. I mean, so you get washed up on a beach and then you're running errands for a group of bawdy fighters in a fort. So what?

The battles aren't really fun in Suikoden II either (nor were they that fun in Suikoden IV, or most of the Suikoden games, for that matter). I pretty much used "Auto Battle" for the entire game.

I personally, and people are going to pelt me with rocks for this, but I personally enjoyed playing Suikoden III more than Suikoden II. I liked the characters in Suikoden III more, and the three viewpoints exposed you more personally to most of the Suikoden characters, moreso than I, II, and IV did. By the time you got your castle, you had a faint idea of who everyone was and where you recruited them from - something that I had problems with in the other games. Yeah, it had flaws, but I just found that the characterization was more broad, which is important, and makes the bath scenes, the play scenes, and even battles more fun.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i also like how they had 3 different veiw points.that was one of the greater things in 3.and you are right with the 3 different view points you learned more on characters than you did in any other game.but the battle system in 2 i found better than 3.i say 2 had the better battle system than any of the other game,excluding 5 since the u.s. don't have it yet.

but usually the first couple of hours in all the suikoden games were boring.it always picked up after you get your castle.but in 3 it takes a whole lot longer to official be in the castle with all the characters.

goodbye

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really really enjoyed Suikoden II the first time. I remember when I first played it I had gone down to the video store to rent Suikoden I for probably the billionth time (approximately of course) and found Suikoden II sitting on the shelf - I had no idea there was even gonna be one! I was told it had only just came in that day when, hugely excited, I nearly ran to the counter to rent it.

What I really enjoyed about II during the beginning was running into familiar characters. I got a kick out of seeing Flik and Viktor, especially since their fate at the end of I is unknown. I liked the music and it's reprisal of many of the themes from Suikoden I and I think it's probably fairly important that when I first played II was more or less immediately after it was released and after a long love affair with Suikoden I. A lack of interest in most current looking RPGs (namely Final Fantasy) also helped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i enjoyed suikoden 2 maybe because its the first that ive played in the series. ill have to agree with buff that the plot of 2 gets interesting when you battle neclord and when you have your first army battle with your own army. just tell your friend to play up to that point and let the game unfold unto him.

about suikoden 3's story. yes it is far more complex than the other games. i really like how the story was told (different view points=lots of misunderstandings=great story). i remember during my first play through that i hated chris for burning down the village but when you see her chapters, youll understand that she had her reasons. thats whats great about 3.

for me, each game has its flaws. suiko 1 is uber short. suiko 2 is slow at the beginning and seems to end at the middle (i thought luca blight was the last boss). suiko 3 has no music and was uber long. and suiko 4... well you know whats wrong with 4.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's something suikoden II has in common with suikoden IV, they are both slow in the begining. Although, actually, when I let my cousin play the begining of suikoden II, he was drawn to the begining.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dark-knight wrote:

suiko 2 is slow at the beginning and seems to end at the middle (i thought luca blight was the last boss).

the first time i played the game and fought him, i was thinking the same exact thing. so glad that it wasn't. it was like the middle point in the game.

rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
I personally, and people are going to pelt me with rocks for this, but I personally enjoyed playing Suikoden III more than Suikoden II.

This i have to agree with you. it's not because it's the first time i played Suikoden but because the game had grasp me the moment i first saw the intro. plus most people would think that it's boring long and somewhat confusing but this game will really make you think because of the trinity sight. and when they are angry the animation in there face also shows.

although the boring part for me is where you fight those blue thingies in a black and white world.

yeah people will probably bash us with that one. :*laugh*:

back to suikoden 2, i was also bored by that time and i hated Freed Y. always butting in the group. but then the game pick up for me especially since i saw characters in 3 still young in two plus the star dragon sword in 1, 2, and 3.

well just tell him it will pick up coz the game works for you :D

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All Suikoden games start out slow.

Honestly though, I didn't use auto battle the whole game. I don't see how it's possible to use auto battle against the boss Neclord has you fight at your future hq, or Luca Blight, or some of the later battles where the bosses get 2-3 hits per turn. For such a simple battle system, Suikoden II is pretty strategic in later fights.
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^auto battle is for those random characters that you can easily defeat so that you wont have to press x/r1 again and again. instead of letting them go, you can just kill them. this helps because it can add exp and potch to your team even at small amounts. remember that a million potch will not become a million potch if theres a single potch missing. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: