Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The realism (or lack of) in Suikoden IV really bugs me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: The realism (or lack of) in Suikoden IV really bugs me. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently playing Suikoden IV for the first time. I have just got to the part where you see Snowe for the first time after you leave Razril.

Yeah, please don't spoil the rest of the game for me, kthx, I've managed to get this far without seeing any major plot spoilers, it would be nice if you've manage to keep me in the dark a little bit longer.

But, I do need to take this moment to ARGH about some of the bad physics in the Suikoden IV universe. I'm not talking about obvious ones like dead bodies disappearing or people being able to cast magic or hurl flying swords like boomerangs at their enemies. I'm talking about the ones that happe in cutscenes that make you scratch your head and say, "I wonder how they did that?"

There are spoilers up until the point that I've mentioned above, so if you haven't played Suikoden IV, you probably want to avoid this topic.

First one.

Is everyone in Suikoden blind? When you're on that little lifeboat of yours, the characters are all like, "We're going to die, OH LOOK, THERE'S A SHIP! " and then you look off into the distance and there's a GIGANTIC SILHOUETTE of a ship in the distance. Like, this isn't a little one. It's literally huge. Is everyone's lack of awareness so acute that they seriously can't see the ship coming from like, ten kilometres away? They only notice when it's like ONE kilometre away from their faces? It's an ocean. Sure, there's fog and stuff like that, but when the silhouette is that gigantic and solid? It's like, super-ship stealth there.

The same situation comes along with the pirate attack on Razril. Commander Glen looks out the window and is like, "Looks all clear, nothing's happening." Then the next thing you hear are cannons being fired at the town. NO, THAT IS WRONG. ARE THERE NOT SCOUTS ON THE TOWERS WITH SPYGLASSES? Did the designers of the game realise that if you're going to attack, people are going to SEE you long before you ever get into cannon range?

And then there are the night attacks. Okay, sure. You can pull off a sneak attack at night... but ONLY if you run your ship dark! Unfortunately, ever Suikoden IV ship I've seen so far at night likes to run with their torches blazing. Can you say "I SEE YOU ON THE HORIZON?" Yes, you can! In the army, if you're walking around at night and decide to light a cigarette, it's like, "Kill me now!" The light carries really far and you're a definite target.

Second one.

Super-powerful hearing. If all of the Suikoden characters are blind, they make up for it with their excellent hearing.

When Snowe's on his ship talking to those soldiers, he says something like, "The pirates must die for the good of the islands!"

And then immediately, Tal (in my game) and Jewel are like, "What? What kind of nonsense did he say? Killing us because it's good for the islands?"

Okay, guys. Snowe's like, a half mile away, at least. He's way outside of cannon range. He didn't shout at you using a bullhorn. So unless every single ship is equipped with a phonology rune, HOW THE HELL DID YOU HEAR WHAT HE HAD TO SAY? Can YOU hear your friends talking to each other when you're half a mile away? And this is at SEA, to boot. There's wind and creaking wood and sails above your head!

Third (and final) one.

Instant teleportation to ships.

Okay, sure, the Blinking Mirror's pretty awesome. But when Razril comes under attack, you don't exactly have that on you yet, but somehow, you're able to get from the TOP of the commander's tower DOWN to your ship in a flipping instant to defend your post against pirates. By the time you would have gotten to your ship and lifted the anchor, the battle should have been OVER.

And then there's the awesome attack on Obel. You leave the King's chambers after speaking with him and then walk over toward your cave. It must've taken you about 10 minutes, tops. Yet, somehow, the king's managed to get down to his ship, launch it, and involve himself deeply enough into battle to be stabbing boarders with his pike. WOW! Are you related to Viki?

Wait, but that's not all. Lazlo is awesome and uses the Rune and then, of course, he says, "Better go down there and help them!" And then suddenly, you're on the Obel patrol ship, ready to deal out some Rune Cannon buttkickery. Uh, how, exactly, did you get down so fast? Did you JUMP down the cliff or something? The last time I checked, Mr. Elevator wasn't around there to help you get down. Maybe Viki is the real scene-runner behind the games, since everyone in Suikoden IV seems to have acquired magical teleportation powers.

Okay, I'm done. I'm usually forgiving about unrealism in RPG's. After all, they're games. They're fantasy. I don't mind that the bullets in FF7 don't actually kill you even though you take a clip full of lead, or that you can fall 15 storeys and still survive because you land on a flower garden. It doesn't really bother me that there's no such thing as magic, or that you can't get past the lone guard standing in your way even though you have 107 people standing behind you who are willing to tear him from limb to limb in Suikoden, or how it's so strange that they have combustion engines but yet have no way to refine gasoline. I can forgive ALL of those things pretty easily for the sake of entertainment, but when they make characters blind, give them superhuman hearing, and the ability to arbitrarily teleport to their ships? Man, I start to roll my eyes. I think it cheapens the experience.

I'm sure that someone else mentioned these things before, and they don't REALLY dampen my enjoyment of the game, but they're certainly fun to point out because it's just so ridiculous. Here's to hoping that Suikoden V does not suffer from such obvious errors too.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've actually noticed that too, but they really didn't bother me. Found it humorous, but nothing to really to make me want to shake my head, or make me think "WTF".

<Spoilers for Suikoden 4>

The eye-sight I'm assuming, is just so the audience has a clear view of the ships. They may not have to be that close, but for all we know, the fog in the area is a lot thicker then we know of.
The hearing is to add drama I think, just so the characters would be able to react towards each other. Instead of "I'm going to kill you all!", responded by"What?".
As for the teleportation, it's just to make things quicker. Do we really need to see him making his way all the way to his destination. Sometimes it's helpful because there are people you need to talk to. Other times it isn't.

<end spoilers>

Just my opinion though.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

as your 2nd question i never got that either.the same thing happened when you fought dario for the 2nd time when you were able to recruit lilin.dario said some thing like you'll never forget the name of the great dario and in my game it was tal again he said never heard of him.they must be shouting a lot louder than it seems like in the game.

for your 3rd question when your talking about leaving the king's chamber and how lino is already down at the boats.if you remember the inventor guy standing next to the cave had a elevator that goes down to the docks,so he could of taken that :? but i see that you said the elevator guy isn't there when lazlo leaves to go fight but the "elevator" still could of been there.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Is everyone in Suikoden blind? When you're on that little lifeboat of yours, the characters are all like, "We're going to die, OH LOOK, THERE'S A SHIP! "

I'm usually fairly forgiving on this one, but having it pointed out to me makes it stick out like a sore thumb. True, on a life raft, you'd be pretty well hoping for a rescue, and not just kind of staring off absently into space until a ship was right up on your grill.

The case of the seeming lack of sentries atop Razril is even more painful, when pointed out. It's not even just a regular town or city, but an actual military base, and apparently the principle outpost of the Gaian Dukedom on the high seas, and yet they see nothing until cannon shells start crashing into them? I can't help but agree with you entirely on that one.

Same goes for night attacks, especially when the presence or absence of light is directly referred to as an aspect of night attacks in Suikoden II. During Luca Blight's night raid, they are able to see clearly the torches in North Window Castle all the way at the end of the peninsula when passing through the forest, and Shu uses the firefly thing to give his archers something to shoot at. You'd think you could shoot a bloody ship out of the water judging by its merrily blazing running lights as well.

Quote:
Super-powerful hearing. If all of the Suikoden characters are blind, they make up for it with their excellent hearing.

This one, unlike the first, was painfully obvious to me when playing the game. It's astonishing, more so than you usually see as far as suspended reality in RPG games.

Quote:
Third (and final) one.

Instant teleportation to ships.

Absolutely. And you're right, Arcana, it does cheapen the experience. There's a profound difference between suspended reality like the existence of magical spells and summoned beasts, and characters who take ten minutes to run along a cliffside in one scene, and then in the next are able to teleport 'round an island and put out to sea in an instant. Bullets that don't kill can be chalked up to RPG battle physics, which are something we all accept for the sake of the game play experience, but stuff like has been pointed out here does indeed make one's eyes roll.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(Possible Spoilers)

First of all, even if the sentries see the ship, they cannot just fire away at it because:

1. They need to identify first the possible target. This was clearly the same mistake the Kooluk Soldiers committed during the near end of the game. Imagine firing at a ship and then discovering it was a merchant ship, a transport ship, or the worst, a decoy.

2. They have to shout at the nearest officer visible like, "Sir, unidentified ships sighted!" Then the officer says, "What are you waiting for, you morons? Fire at will!" That's the military, you can't act without the superiors' permission.

3. I dont remember everything that happened but if I was the pirate ship's captain, I'll hide the flags and the rune cannons to avoid early detection. The later we get discovered, the better our chance of scoring success.

Another thing, remember when Nanami in Suikoden II was shot by an arrow? Before that, she was shot by lots and lots of arrows, and then in just one arrow... I think you already knew what happened...

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was wondering how that elevator guy (what's his name?) can teleport the Hero down t the harbor of Obel. :?

and yes, their super hearing ability was odd.

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it was prolly to do with some kind of contraption that he made to transport people,hence why he's an elevator guy and that's his speciality.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the whole Razril thing, They used trained birds as look outs. They must do something if they spot a ememy ship becasue Glen mentions it being all clear then boom! After which they ponder how come they didn't know they were coming and then relize the ememy must have known about the birds (Thanks to Katerina mentioning it in front of Armada) then you see his bird eating those poor little guys.

Also the yelling thing was just for plot advancement. It's like when characters know something they shouldn't becasue it would take to much time to explain why they knew said infromation.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:
On the whole Razril thing, They used trained birds as look outs. They must do something if they spot a ememy ship becasue Glen mentions it being all clear then boom! After which they ponder how come they didn't know they were coming and then relize the ememy must have known about the birds (Thanks to Katerina mentioning it in front of Armada) then you see his bird eating those poor little guys.

Uh, why mess with tried-and-true methods like putting a guy on top of a tower and using a telescope? You should be able to see a ship on the horizon, even with the naked eye, far before they enter cannon range. Yes, they would have to spend some time to identify the ships, but you should be able to see that they aren't friendly ships before they enter cannon range. In the strategy battles, you start off at opposite ends of the map and you're not in cannon range, but you obviously know you're facing an enemy.

Quote:
Also the yelling thing was just for plot advancement. It's like when characters know something they shouldn't becasue it would take to much time to explain why they knew said infromation.

Well, in the example I used, the Snowe scene, there was no NEED for the Hero's party to have heard what Snowe was saying. The hero could have used hit spyglasses (!!!! Note, he doesn't even have one and he's a captain?) and then through the scope, sees Snowe, and then shakes his head. He hands it to Tal, and Tal says, "Holy crap, that's Snowe! He's headed straight for us!"

Cut to Snowe. Snowe says, "Kill them all!"

Cut to Hero. Jewel says, "He's not stopping! He means business! We better get ready for a fight!"

Tal says, "Snowe, that bastard, he's got a lot of explaining to do!"

*Cut to Battle*

There's no need for the heroes to know what Snowe said.

In any case, as I said, and Parallax agrees, it cheapens the experience. We shouldn't need super-magical details and weird canon knowledge to learn why it is that the Hero can instantly teleport himself to his boat. You could have did a lot of dramatic movie footage of the hero launching his ship as cannons are being fired in the distance, and so forth. Sure, some may argue about "We're playing a game, not watching a movie", but news flash, an RPG is mostly story anyway. If the story doesn't add up (in regards to physics), then you spend more time wondering why the writers were so lazy than concentrating on the intensity of the story.

The suspension of disbelief for Nanami is fair enough - she deflected one arrow, another one, but got nailed by the third. It's possible to believe that our superhuman Suikoden heroes can dodge arrows. They do it all the time in battle, and in Kung Fu movies. :) But in Kung Fu movies, we don't see people act absolutely blind when it comes to their rival on the horizon.

I wish that Japanese game developers in particular were more vigilant in writing games with believable (not necessarily realistic) physics. It's always nice to be able to see a game that is gritty and realistic, and many RPGs don't deliver. It makes for a more intense game experience, definitely.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, they use rune cannons instead of our cannons here in the real world. Their cannon firing range might be drastically farther than ours...

In the strategy battles, you can clearly define enemy ships by the flags they are waving. In a sneak attack, however... well... they must have hidden it, or replaced by friendly one... or whatever...

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The super-hearing isn't unique to Suikoden IV. Remember all the banter before major battles in Suikoden I? The soldiers in two opposing armies shouldn't be able to hear each other so clearly. And I doubt they're always going to meet each other before beginning battle to trade insults.

It just hurts more in IV because of the cinematic nature. Also because they're on boats. While it serves the same purpose as in I of giving a quick intro to the fights and even adding a little to some characters, the writing in IV just sucks.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yap, there are often scenes like that, in movies we have the same mistakes but that isn't reality..kobolds, elves and the whole rune thing are in suiko too.. suiko isn't meant to be the most realistic rpg, but i think besides all that fantasy elements it's a lot more realistic than every other japanese rpg that i know
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
The super-hearing isn't unique to Suikoden IV. Remember all the banter before major battles in Suikoden I? The soldiers in two opposing armies shouldn't be able to hear each other so clearly. And I doubt they're always going to meet each other before beginning battle to trade insults.

As far as I'm concerned, "trading insults" as you call it, is a nice way of boosting your soldiers' morale, so that they fight better.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

It just hurts more in IV because of the cinematic nature. Also because they're on boats. While it serves the same purpose as in I of giving a quick intro to the fights and even adding a little to some characters, the writing in IV just sucks.

Ah, you're right, although I think it was more customary in that time for the generals to meet each other before starting the war. However, we all know that Suikoden's military tactics are a little more modern than the ones they actually used back in the day.

I like seeing some of the conflicts that the hero has to face in IV. I'm not that far, but the decisions on whether or not to use that rune just kind of strikes me as a cool story decision, as well as his decision to take command when Snowe fails to do so. Those scenes were quite good (story-wise, although their execution leaves much to be desired).
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uwangski wrote:
Shrew wrote:
The super-hearing isn't unique to Suikoden IV. Remember all the banter before major battles in Suikoden I? The soldiers in two opposing armies shouldn't be able to hear each other so clearly. And I doubt they're always going to meet each other before beginning battle to trade insults

As far as I'm concerned, "trading insults" as you call it, is a nice way of boosting your soldiers' morale, so that they fight better.

I think you missed the point of Shrew's post there.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: