Suikoden United and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most common complaints about Suikoden 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Most common complaints about Suikoden 4 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Based on what I hear from Japanese fans, below are the most frequent complaints I hard about Suikoden 4.

1) Enemy encounters are too frequent (especially on the sea).

2) The ship you control gets deflected by "invisible walls" that surround islands, forcing it to change its bearing (and it's difficult to change bearings).

3) The ship's movement is slow, and it's controls are awkward.

4) A lot of enemy graphics are recycled (same design with different colors).

5) There are no real "dungeon-like" deungeons. Most of the time is spent wandering the sea.

6) Graphics are lacking, and rough spots become obvious during close-ups.

7) The storytelling is generally mediocre (No explanation of _why_ something happens).

8) The hero's kinematics when he runs is awkward and unrealistic.

9) The view-point change using the R3 button is not very useful.

10) Load time is short, but they are too frequent.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hold R1 down to make the ship go a bit faster, but I agree, it's slow. It might not be so bad if the encounter rate wasn't so high out there.... And I agree 100%, the hero walks like a robot, even sounds like it too.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can bear with all these complaints, since every Suikoden has room for a lot of improvements. But...

Quote:

7) The storytelling is generally mediocre (No explanation of _why_ something happens).

If that means we'll see something like chapters 4-5 of Suikoden 3 during the whole game, that's a tough one. I've been thinking that Suikoden 4 wouldn't have a story as good as the first two since it was first announced, because the main writer wasn't on it.
I hate to see my fears coming to reality somehow.

By the way SARSadmin, I see you only post impressions about other gamers. I take it you don't have your copy yet? Can't wait to read what a vet like you has to say about Suikoden 4.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

he just got his copy. ITs too early for him to give first impressions. After the weekend he'll prolly be far enough in to give some of his thoughts on the subject.

So what are the things people like about the game? Like someone said if its storyline is all retarded like chapters 4 and 5 on suiko 3 than it would suck.

Also in another thread i though you said BM that the storyline was considered especially good. As for the graphics they looked awesome on the trailers i doubt they can be that bad.

The lack of actual dungeons tend too be a drag though.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I don't have my copy yet. Stupid DHL.
Funeral

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think the game will be great... MY only complaint is that Pesmerga isnt on the 108 stars of destiny list... i wanted S4 to go more into the story of Pesmerga and Yuber. although i have heard that some new stuff will be revealed.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I DONT HAVE MINE YET EITHER... see:

Dear NCS Customer,

Due to a shortage in the supply of Genso Suikoden IV Limited Edition, our shipment of the game is now expected next week. Our suppliers in Japan are also raising the price due to higher costs in purchasing the game. We expect the new price to be US$125 instead of the US$100 for which we we took preorders.

Please advise if you wish to keep your preorder or if you would prefer to cancel it and/or change the preorder to the regular edition of the game. Apologies for the problems caused by this last-minute news.

Regards,
NCS, Inc

Damn punks. >_<

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, its just other people's opinions. I don't really care about them. What they think is bad, you might think the exact opposite. So what 'til you get the game, guys. :)
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You don't have to blindly defend the game. I'm sure most of these complaints will hold true for many players, but a lot of those guys will probably see past it and find a good game.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

#4 is what gets to me. I'm not particularly a fan of enemies of different colors. May as well just save the time and just say the enemy's been leveling up with you instead of renaming and recoloring. Ah well, pretty common. Depends on how frequent they're recycled. ;P

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The enemies in Suikoden 3 were recycled a ton. ^_^ It didn;t bug me that much, so I doubt it'll bug me this time. Most of it is stuff that you can easily suvive and still enjoy the game. Most of it is stuff you see in kost RPG's.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the eneny sprites were recycled in 1 and 2 as well. Hell Final fantasy (Especially 1-6) re use sprites all the time. Kinda disconcerting seeing madiun from ff6 as a common enemy in fforigins. Thats not a majorly big deal. The high encounter rate is the only real big problem. But if i can brave and conquer Dragon Warrior 7. Then lots of encounters to a good game that s4 will no doubt will be shouldent pose too much of a hassle.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lechium

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you mean by lack of actual dungeons?
There are story location on land, and only place with random encounters/suitable for levelling up is the open waters?
Another question: since you travelon yoru HQ, get random encounters there, and you can rest there as well does it mean that you can easly go all out high level magic each random battle and rest afterwards over and over again?
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can even get random encounters in the middle of a village on an island. *shrugs* Very tedious.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i hate the "bump" effect of invisible walls on land masses!
i hate unrealistic movement!
i hate mediocre stories!
i hate slow ships!
i hate frequent encounters.

on the other hand, i don't care about different views, recycled monsters, lack of dungeons or dodgey graphics.

the truth is i can't do any of this better, so no need for me to whine. I'll play it start to finish, and do my best to get every single itty bitty thingy, before i make any judgement about it!

the list of these complaints are not too serious, so it won't deter me from buying it! yes, i'm on the late bandwagon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: