Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think they're the only guns in the Suikoden world. Sturm is held by the Guild Master (is it? The position Kelly was to have) and Stern and Mond are dueling pistols used to settle disputes.

Again, men in dark cloaks with "odd" weapons doesn't mean Howling Voice Guild. Even with the stretch of the word "odd" meaning guns, doesn't make him a member of the HVG either just because they're talking to him. Many people in Suikoden I and II were around Clive but that doesn't mean they're also members of the HVG.

It's not that I don't agree with the theory. It'd be neat if he was indeed a member of the HVG but at the moment I don't see anything close to conclusive. If someone could provide an official source that says anything other than "men with odd weapons" as evidence then by all means. Otherwise people will read this and just assume that it's canon that he's a member of the HVG - I don't understand the logic here other than people making a dubious connection that he's mysterious and men in dark cloaks with odd weapons must be from the HVG.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm never heard of this before, but I'm almost certain that they're not. What would the other Guild members use?

Exactly. The guns that were mentioned are just special or important because of the person who's supposed to wield them.

I also hope to see more of Mike or whatever his real name is in some future installment of the series. His character intrigued me a lot, and I didn't even know about the HVG the first time I played the game. And it could be that the cloaked men with weird weapons are HVG members, though I'm pretty sure the description is a little too vage to know for certain.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm never heard of this before, but I'm almost certain that they're not. What would the other Guild members use?

This makes sense, but they can use other weapons like Nash. He is from the Howling Voice right?

Yes the was the word I was looking for: vague. It just too vague to get something solid from it. Okay Mike look like Zaj but that's the only "real" argument we have.

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I don't think they're the only guns in the Suikoden world.

Guns are from alchemy and Sindarian only Harmonia has them and so far only the HVG is aloud to use them.

Quote:

Many people in Suikoden I and II were around Clive but that doesn't mean they're also members of the HVG

Clive like Mike stayed alone the only person he relay had contact with was Elza who was from the HVG.

Quote:

but they can use other weapons like Nash

Nash never got to the piont were he could use a gun so he had the training he got there and he learned about gunpower that he used as an explosive. His swords were family heirlooms.

CLERKS
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
I don't understand the logic here other than people making a dubious connection that he's mysterious and men in dark cloaks with odd weapons must be from the HVG.

I think that was Konami's point, though --- to make a vague comment that extremely observant followers of the series will immediately perk up to. It's certainly not unheard of by the writers.

Finally, if the cloak and odd weapons do not refer to the HVG, then who would it refer to? What kind of usefulness would that kind of obscure comment have in relationship to Mike's character?

It is not considered canon, but a cryptic comment like that certainly lends credence to the speculation that Mike is a part of the HVG. You are still right, though - it's not fact, it's speculation.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't think that Mike is a part of the Howling Voice Guild and I really don't think that he is Zaj. What I do believe is that he is part of some secret organization that isn't really on the good guys side if you know what I mean. Or perhaps he is running from something. Those are the two impressions that I got from him. I never really got the impression that he was in the Guild or Zaj. I am curently reading the Suikoden III manga so hopefully that will reveal a little bit more information on him. I haven't gotten to the part where Geddeo or whoever meets him yet but I will soon.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there's a big jump everyone is making from "odd weapons" to guns.

Odd weapons could be people from a different nations carrying bladed weapons that look very weird. People have never seen weapons like that. They look odd.

If Konami were indeed trying to make fans jump that Mike was a member of the HVG because of that comment then congratulations to Konami. At present though I don't buy it. People are free to speculate anyway the wish of course but I need something a little more conclusive than a vague comment that could be taken in many ways.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
If Konami were indeed trying to make fans jump that Mike was a member of the HVG because of that comment then congratulations to Konami. At present though I don't buy it. People are free to speculate anyway the wish of course but I need something a little more conclusive than a vague comment that could be taken in many ways.

Ditto. I'm trusting what i see. And i didn't see any relation of Mike and the Howling Voice Guild.

Speaking of which, i can't remember there being that much, or any, mention of the Guild in Suikoden III. Other than Wyatt being chased by them.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And I think they miss tranlated that to like the Yelling Mouth Club or somthing horible. But the HVG does do secret operations like that.

CLERKS
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zaj I mean Mike wrote:
And I think they miss tranlated that to like the Yelling Mouth Club or somthing horible. But the HVG does do secret operations like that.

The HVG was called the Roaring Brotherhood in Suikoden III. :*laugh*: at Yelling Mouth Club.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It does make sense that Mike would be part of the HVG, due to the fact that he seems to know who you are, and that you were coming. Such could be the reconnaisance work of the HVG. Perhaps they had tracked down ties to Wyatt, which would be why he seems to know who Geddoe is, and why Geddoe "smells a rat". Though, I can only speculate.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What was Mike's point in joining? The man did nothing but play cards, I just figured we was supposed to be a VERY shady gambling character... and his unassuming "some dude in the street" look was manufactured to throw people off and help him screw people out of their money. Mike seemed to have it down... a one-sided game where the one who goes second can win most of the time, and he will always be that guy. Basically to get Mike you would need to get a high draw and keep it, even then Mike would sometimes get one his made-up special hands where you pay triple.

Anyhow, one of Kidd's clues about Mike mentions him having secret meeting out in the woods near your castle with "some very dangerous looking people". If Mike indeed is this assassin Zaj or whatever from a game that didn't come out on my continent, then he just might fit that idea because Clive and Elza "look dangerous".

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Such could be the reconnaisance work of the HVG.

Should could be the reconnaisance of almost any secret organization.

Quote:
he just might fit that idea because Clive and Elza "look dangerous".

Out of the 4 main Suikoden games there are many, many, many characters that "look dangerous".

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kurt Angle

Lunar Dragon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe there could be a connection to Zaj and Mike. Now I haven't played Suikoden 3 yet, but I want to. I'm just trying to piece together some thoughts and ideas I've got from reading this.

If by some chance that Mike was Zaj, wouldn't he have tried something to Nash? Now thats a possiblity, then again, he might want to lay low. Expecially around Nash.

Remember, using alias's has been around for a while in the Suikoden series. In one it was to get passed Ain Guide. In two it was to get into Muse (Namai as Beth, ha). In the manga of three, Nash introduces himself as Nash Clovis. So maybe Mike might be trying the same thing and using an alias. I don't know.

As for Zaj being dead, thats up to spectliation (sp?). I thought for a long time, and still kind of do, that Seed and Culigan are around somewhere in the Suikoden world after the events of two.

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kurt Angle wrote:
Quote:
I thought for a long time, and still kind of do, that Seed and Culigan are around somewhere in the Suikoden world after the events of two.

Well, I'm pretty sure it was official that both their bodies were found dead after the events of Suikogaiden 2. Heh, I hate to shut that theory down but thats what happens when you're on a site like this, a lot of mine were crushed in the same way.

And to be honest I agree with Coketastic, Mike comes off more to me as a shrewd card shark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: