Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Japanese reviews are in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually liked Chrono Cross, oddly enough. I must not be too picky when it comes to games...

Does Dengeki (sp?) review games? If so, are they better at it then Famitsu in terms of length of playing the game and honesty?

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not picky but I still hated that game.

Dengeki reviews games, we should have the review this week.
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Well, I'm in Japan now, so only three more days before I can get my hands on a copy of the game.

You lucky dog.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the things that I'm looking forward to is seeing scans of all the characters from either here or SuikoSource (whoever gets them up first). I also like knowing most of the plot, but let's not get into that...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing that is known about Famitsu reviews is that their scores mean very little; the reviewers are bound by certain rules due to pressures from the game developers. One of their insiders leaked this in a book they wrote after quitting Famitsu, but some game developers have alluded that giving low scores to their games will mean Famitsu will not get new information for their games in the future. Without that sort of info, Famitsu will be unable to compete with other gaming magazines.

This can be seen from reading actual review comments, where some games receive very critical comments, yet get good points, while some receive relatively low scores despite the reviewer mentioning very few negatives, if at all. For this reason, the scores themselves are not entirely honest, although it can be a general guideline.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never liked scores anyway. They simplify things too much, and the stupid people tend to only look at that and not read the actual review.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, basically you have to read between the lines to get the real opinion of the reviewer; some reviewers are known to hide their true intent by using words that can be interpreted in other ways. Famitsu is the longest running gaming magazine (over 20 years, and all of it's original competitors--Fami Maga and Gamicom Hisshou Hon have died out in the last 10 years), and anything that gets old also gets a lot of connections with powerful entities, often like a fly trapped in a web. A publisher that relies on info from a third-party will have difficulty getting info from the same party if they continue to blast them, it's like the proverbial dog biting its owner's hand.

Even then, Famitsu's reviews have an impact on game sales by the virtue of its age and commonly understood (or misunderstood) reputation; it has basically become a brand-name. Even though the more informed gamers knowthat their reviews have problems, the casual gamer will likely base their decisions on Famitsu's score. For this reason, powerful game developers, such as Square-Enix, are concerned with their Famitsu review score. Famitsu, on the other hand, is concerned that they won't be able to get the up-o-date info of the next final-fantasy/dragon quest/secret of mana/kingdom hearts/etc from Square-Enix.

It's also known that Konami has a bad relationship with Famitsu. This stems from a legal spat they had a few years ago, when Famitsu reported of Konami's practics of trademarking words such as "mobile police" and "patlabor" when they clearly don't own the anime series "Mobile Police Patlabor." Konami responded by barring Famitsu reporters from entering their press office, and the relationship between these two companies (Ascii Publishers and Konami) have been pretty bad since then. When famitsu simply ignored Metal Gear Solid's 2nd sequel (no review or a single mention), most amateur reviewers assumed that it was in retaliation for Konami's stance against famitsu, and also to make sure Konami doesn't get a good review for a rather good game they made.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps it's still the same now. They might still be getting back at Konami for that in the past. That might explain the lower scores....

I used to trust reviewers, but after five to ten mentions in one magazine of FFVII being the "best RPG of all time" I begin to have my doubts about them...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence got a 39/40 in Famitsu so I think they reconciled.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Yeah, but they use babel-fish like applications to translate what we say. They apparently think that you translated the Famitsu reviews, and one guy thinks that you are me. Very funny.

How do you know all of this stuff? o_O
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2chan dude..
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:
Perhaps it's still the same now. They might still be getting back at Konami for that in the past. That might explain the lower scores....

I used to trust reviewers, but after five to ten mentions in one magazine of FFVII being the "best RPG of all time" I begin to have my doubts about them...

Well they were right about that, I still say to this day, FFVII is the best rpg ever made..it was definetly the first I ever got deep involved with, but since then I kinda drifted from Final Fantasy, Suikoden is becoming way better then Final Fantasy in my opinion, its a shame not that many people are aware of it, but yeah you cannot trust alot of game reviews, because what they say might be a bad game, you may like it and enjoy it, see what I'm saying ?
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh. Suikoden 1 and 2 are the best rpgs ever made in my opinion.
I don?t care, I?m still free.
You can?t take the sky from me.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I didn't ever feel that close to FFVII, but everyone is respected to their own opinions. I am a Suikoden person myself...

Official Smoke Bomb User

poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FFVII is in no way the best RPG ever. There is such a wide range of preferences that it is literally impossible for one game to be labeled as the best. Also, the reason FFVII is so "great" is simply because it appealed to so many non-RPGers using fancy FMVs/graphics and tons of hype, which ended up taking the whole genre mainstream. I've played enough RPGs to realize that FFVII really isn't that incredible, especially by today's standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: