Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden II's Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Suikoden II's Story Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I must first start off with a short anecdote. I bought a used copy of Suikoden II on ebay. It was to be perfectly functional, but I found out, after a few months of owning the game, that it would always freeze against some Highland Soldiers right after Luca Blight flees from the three-party encounter. The battle screen never opens.

Now, here is my question. Should I read a script of the game online so that I can understand Suikoden's history better, or should I hold out until a day where I might get a chance to play the game? Would reading the script ruin the experience should I ever get a chance to play the game through? Should I go ahead and read it, to understand the story, and then look for a copy if/when I choose to purchase it?

Please give me some advice, Suikoden veterans, but please, please do not spoil it for me in this thread. Thank you very much.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are you talking about, that IS the end of the game.

Okay, I'm lying obviously. I suppose you understand the general ending of the game, but are asking if you should check out the minute details? My personal preference would be to wait it out. There are several surprises in the game that I think I'd want to figure out/come across on my own rather than just reading about them. On the other hand, the chance of getting a copy for a less than stellar amount of money is unlikely.

I still vote for waiting. Unless you know all the big spoilers in the game already, I think it would ruin it.

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go to a used game store such as Game Crazy and have them post a search through there stores for a copy. Theres a good chance they won't find it , as they told me they probably wouldn't when I tried, but I still did (it only cost a $5 dollar deposit) and about a week or two later they had tracked down a copy for me from one of there stores. It had no scratches, only cost me like $20, and I've had it for two years and haven't had a problem yet *knock on wood*

Good Luck!
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've tried many things in order to get that game, but I guess I could put more effort into my search. I've tried all of the local game stores and I haven't seen it anywhere. Well, I haven't seen it anywhere where the shop owners don't know its real value.

I actually have been pretty good about not hearing spoilers. I just avoid all Suikoden II discussion. I do know that the three primary main characters live on, because people have talked about their lives after the game. However, I'm completely ignorant of game facts after the Luca Blight battle there. Heck, I don't know who the last boss is, though I suspect it will be Luca. Don't tell me though.

And Sage, nice try there. It would be pretty great to fight some Highland soldiers as the last boss battle. Hey, Troy was a piece of cake last boss. No, I don't know why I'm putting this in black text, but since I'm not wanting others to spoil anything here, I better provide a good example. Anyway, if anyone on this site would like to mail me their copy for rental and then have me mail it back a few months later, I'd very much appreciate it. :wink:

Edit: I switched the word "mail" with the word "main" in the last sentence there. >_<

Last edited by Tonberry on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure thing :roll:

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You could download it and burn it off the internet. You already own the game anyway and it would just be like having a back up copy.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If your PSOne is old, try running the game using a PSX emulator. Take the game, rip it to a CUE/BIN combination, and then load it up. There are often problems with crappy PSX lasers and PS2 lasers that freeze the game up.

Besides, a cool thing about playing on the emulator (besides sharper graphics, no load times, unlimited memory card slots) is that you can take super-sharp screenshots from your screen. You won't be able to load your Suikoden I data directly, but maybe you can find some Suikoden I memory card dumps online on GameFAQs for your game.

As for your actual question regarding the story? If you really can't get the game to work, I say why not? Go ahead and just read the rest of the game. It's not going to be as awesome as playing it, but it'll get you up to speed and you'll probably save yourself 20 hours of game time anyway.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
If your PSOne is old, try running the game using a PSX emulator. Take the game, rip it to a CUE/BIN combination, and then load it up. There are often problems with crappy PSX lasers and PS2 lasers that freeze the game up.

Besides, a cool thing about playing on the emulator (besides sharper graphics, no load times, unlimited memory card slots) is that you can take super-sharp screenshots from your screen. You won't be able to load your Suikoden I data directly, but maybe you can find some Suikoden I memory card dumps online on GameFAQs for your game.

As for your actual question regarding the story? If you really can't get the game to work, I say why not? Go ahead and just read the rest of the game. It's not going to be as awesome as playing it, but it'll get you up to speed and you'll probably save yourself 20 hours of game time anyway.

not even that, i had to resort to ps1emus when my suiko 1 wouldnt load the zombie dragon, pcs nowadays can run the game at speeds of up to 2x what you would experience on the ps1, you could effectivly run in full screen at 200fps. And while you overshoot many a doorway in a wain attempt toovercorrect for the speed you actually take 5 hours to rack up '40 hours of gameplay' due to it.

That makes going through parts you already have a breeze, and you technically can load your memory card onto your pc, though youd have to be one of the vast minority who actually paid for a dex drive. Such a horrid innovation.

I would say wait before reading though, youve played through a majority of the game itd be like cheating if you just didnt bother and read the rest. Id at least look around a tad before id start reading. (hell, i scoured the entirity of australia for a damn copy)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't speak 'emulator,' so I don't have any idea of what you are talking about. I don't intend on using one either. My system is perfectly fine. The game itself is the actual problem. I've tried it on several systems and it behaves the same way.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would certainly wait to actually play the game. It really is a gem of a storyline, but the visual effects are crucial. Simply reading a script would deprive you of a lot.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II was the first game I played in the series, so maybe I'm biased here, however I think it had the best story out of all 4. I say you wait. You've waited this long already, and trust me when I say you will be glad you did. Reading it just isn't the same. I remember reading the ending of Suikoden III before I played it, and it ruined the whole game for me.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definately wait man. Suikoden II is not just a great game or an excellent story. It's an experience. The experience would be lost if you simply read the text.

Suikoden II in my opinon gives you one of the best experiences of all the series and is definately worth the wait, and yes even more money.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man if you were living in Brazil you could by Suikoden II for $2,50! I have two copies actually I lost my first one so I bought another and then I found the one I lost.

Anyway, you should wait man, but you can also do both, read the script and let your imagination create the images for you and the you play the game and see if your imagination was right. :D

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you should be patient in looking for a new game. the storyline is great and reading it through walkthroughs or anything else will surely take away the enjoyment and excitement when you get to continue playing it. just wait.

it is by far the best suikoden game for me. so it really is worth the time to play it rather than to read and imagine it.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

goto www.gamestop.com, search for Suikoden II, and then put in a search for your area. See what comes up, call the stores that apparently have it, and ask them to reserve it. Voila. Suikdoen II for 50 dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: