Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Making A Suiko-Site (Split from "Suikofans are whiners")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A project like Tabula Rasa would be huge and would take up nearly all of your time and energy. If you're looking for evidence just look at Tabula Rasa itself--it hasn't been active in a long while. This isn't because SARS is being lazy, he just doesn't have the time or the creative energy, especially since he's really the only person running the thing. If you were to create something like that, you'd have to get someone who devoted all their time to it, and even then I personally don't think one person could do it.

The key is to create a system with minimal interference from the Game Master or Administrator. One way is to have a system where members can create their own, smaller IFFs that might only be the size of a couple threads, or even one thread. This is how it worked at Souleater.org. If you're more ambitious, I'm sure if you thought on it enough you could create that bigger, more involving IFF with minimal GM interference and guidance, however I haven't thought of how. SARS' nation system is a perfect example of an interactive "game" that is runable without taking up an inordinate amount of time (or so I assume).

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see you guys have already planned out ways of trying to improve a Suikoden fanbase... I also commend your ideas regarding a webring. I've been trying to find a good webring site in English to help create one or find an existing one. I think you guys should admin one such webring.

I have a Suikoden site as well ,though it has somewhat already died. So i know what you mean. I'll try to keep advertising the game as well, as much as i can.

Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, I have a rudimentary webring script ready. I realized I have no idea how I can make random text appear though, mainly because having remote sites connect to a database on another server is something that's a bit too dangerous. The best I can do is have the webring thingie have a "next" "previous" "random" "member list" and "join the ring!" link, along with whatver image you wish to use. There's not an ounce of design that's gone into it yet, but that's not really important I suppose.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll admit I'm struggling to wrap my head around a lot of this but the problem sounds like you're trying to 'draw' the text for the persons site from the site.

Is there any problem with the text being on the server itself, much like the random facts on the front of this very site?

So, in essence, I suppose making each site listed on the webring a small page with both link and text.

Or, y'know, something like that.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, what I'm talking about is something like this.

Joe inputs site data into the webring registration form. The form collets site name, URL, and site description. These info are stored inside a database located on suikox's server.

Once this info is submitted, the site is given a site ID which is correlated with the database located on suikox. A block of code is e-mailed to Joe, which includes links that do a (go to-> site_id -1) and (go to -> site_id +1) type of function, among others (such as random, site list, and "join the ring!").

What I can not do here is extract the site description from the suikox database, because although site ID can be predetermined, site description can not. To add that information would require manually updating every code on every site that has the webring "thingie."

There probably are ways to go around this by using javascript, but that will slow down the load time of sites that use this webring script. Without the descriptions, it will be as fast as a scalded dog. The descriptions of each site will be on the site list linked on the "thingie," so hopefylly that is good enough, although autoloading random descriptions sound a lot more appealing.

Anybody have any ideas how to get around that?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
I can probably make a "Webring" application pretty easily. Suikosource is probably an ideal place to host such an application, considering where it is placed in google when you type "suikoden" (at the friggin top!).

All I need is an image that is not too big-- like 120 x 120 pixels or 100 x 200 with something like "Global Suikoden Fan Alliance" (or a better name).

Well, it seems something good is coming out of this discussion.

I don't know how your back-end database is put together, but you can probably reserve a block on the sidebar of the front page, or add a mini-link at the bottom of each forum page of a randomly-rolled Suikoden fan site in the community.

A links page wouldn't hurt, either.

That's why I proposed that you create the "Advertisements & Fun Links" forum to allow people to promote their web sites and their games.

EDIT: Ah, I see you've decided to implement the webring after all. That's what I get for not reading the thread before replying.

If you want a description list that can be acquired without taking it from the site itself, you're going to have to get the user to enter it himself, which, of course, makes it extremely difficult to port code to other sites.

Unless you're willing to have every webring site go back to parse a page, for example, written in XML, hosted on SARS, you're probably not going to be able to get descriptions loaded up. However, if you DO go the XML route, you'd probably be able to get a webring that has features as fancy as loading up custom images for the current site (by loading the image source from the DB). That's just one implementation idea. The obvious drawback is that SARS is going to get hit every time someone accesses the webring, which might be detrimental to the site's performance.

EDIT 2: http://suikoden.mine.nu <---- Interactive Fiction site, Himuro. It's been almost dead for the last five or so months because it never reached critical mass where I didn't have to keep pushing people to write. It never took off to start, but truly died when I had to write my thesis for about 18 hours a day.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

XML huh... I see. We'll I've never used XML before so let me take a crack at it. The webring script is finished in the SQL and PHP sense, so hopefully XML can solve the problem.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
XML huh... I see. We'll I've never used XML before so let me take a crack at it. The webring script is finished in the SQL and PHP sense, so hopefully XML can solve the problem.

Now that I think about it, it'll probably be just as easy to come up with a text file for the implementation idea I had.

The catch is that I'm really bad at client-side scripting, so you're going to have to tell me if the Javascript or whatever can do what I suggest below, SARS.

Basically, the idea would be that, in the client-side webring code, it would access a page on the webring server. Let's make up a location name like http://suikox.com/webring.php?site=random.

When the client's webring code runs, it accesses the above location, and the location generates a file that looks like

Code:

<name>Arcana's Super Suikoden Site</name>
<desc>Visit Arcana's Super Suikoden Site for all of your Suikoden misinformation needs!</desc>
<url>http://arcanassupersuikodensite.com</url>

The file, obviously, is generated using PHP and the relational database that stores the links.

The client side would parse this relatively simple file and then render it appropriately.

As I said, I'm not much of a client-side programmer, so I don't know how hard it is to grab a file stream and parse it, although I'm pretty sure it must be possible.

So as you can see, XML isn't necessarily the answer. I only thought of XML first because I was thinking, "RSS, maybe the links can be put into an RSS feed that's automatically generated. Then all you'd need is an RSS plugin on your site, or even on your web browser". The RSS idea would be kind of cool too, though.
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you decide to use RSS, you could always get the one from the Suikoden V Official JPN Site. The RSS ticker is in the Download Section.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I was thinking if I can have a simple code that can extract defined data from even an HTML file and spew it out randomly... that way the'd be no need for direct database access... hmm...

Actually, php includes should do the trick. I'll have to play with this a bit.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

is anyone elses brain hurting just reading this?

but i think this is a really good idea, its about time that the suiko community joined together to promote the series as one instead of fighting for dominance, and its always a plus to breathe life into a dying site.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I think I managed to create a webring script that would do everything expected. The only thing is the formatting sucks at the moment, but I don't mind that because each site will probably re-work the HTML to suit their surrounding.
I still need to work on the autoamte e-mail section for validation purposes.

One thing I'd like to ask is if I should include "language" for the langauge used at each site, and whether a site banner is necessary.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes for both, with the exception of the Japanese language. I'm not knowledgable on the Japanese Suikoden community but I get the feeling its the 'Rest of the World' section of the community that needs the boost.

Site banner, sure, as long as the size is limited to around, or exactly, the same as those ones Konami use for Suikoden games. They're a perfect size and they're not too large while being easy to use some measure of creativity in its design.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure how I can limit the size of banners. I'm sure there is a way.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even if there isn't an easy or managable way to do it, just state it as a rule. Your banner too big? No banner at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: