Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Suikoden fandom is full of rabid, pretentious whiners.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll tell you what I think is sorely lacking from the Suikoden community: Interactive Fan Fictions, and even a place where people can share their own personal fan fiction. I recall that Souleater.org, which Ted mentioned earlier, used to have a section dedicated to IFFs on their message board, and it was very successful. I met a lot of interesting people there.

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but personally I miss that--not only writing them but reading them also. I once tried to create one at the old SuikoCastle site. It was pretty successful and began to attract a lot of people, however it was so much work that I couldn't handle it. Anyways, if someone were to make a place where one might be able to create his or her own small IFFs, post his or her fan fictions, and maybe even participate in a larger, better-planned IFF (although I wouldn't expect that--those things take a lot out of you), than I think they'd have a nice little community on their hands.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Edit: nevermind. Should be in other thread. Didn't see the split. Thanks, John.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD

Last edited by Sophita on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The lack of variety in Suikoden sites is a personal problem not a community one. The community as a whole cannot be blamed for the lack of variety holding back the community.

My own site is/will be mainly information based because that's the area I care about more than anything else regarding the series. It is not the fault of the community if someone with a bigger interest in fanart or fanfiction, IFF's, or in-game stats, do not make a webpage while people with interest in the history of the nations or the characters do.

However, I think this line of discussion will bring us back to the split thread that Sars made for exactly that purpose, maybe.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maximillian wrote:
Ignore my comment if you all want because I refuse to hide behind diplomatic words. I'll say what I gotta say, but I'm at least saying it with facts, and that's a whole lot better than speaking out of your you know what.

No, your comment interested me, so I went through and did a count of the trend of members over the last four months and 3 days (I did the count on February 3).

From Feb 3 to Feb 1, five new members joined.
In January, 71 new members joined.
In December, 81 members joined.
In November, 82 members joined.
In October, 64 members joined.
In September, 106 (!) members joined.

What I did then to gauge an amount of "regularity" was to take the number of days after each month and to see which new posters who joined in each month had a post ratio of 0.66 (or two posts in three days).

In September, the cutoff was 103 posts; 12 members had 103 posts or more.

In October, the cutoff was 83, and 7 members had 83 posts or more.

In November, the cutoff was 63, and 4 members had 63 posts or more.

In December, the cutoff was 43, and 11 members had 43 posts or more.

In January, the cutoff was 22, and 6 members had 22 posts or more.

So let us add up these number. The total number of new members from September 1 to February 3 was 409. Out of these, according to the criteria I selected as being "active" (that is, 0.66 posts a day), there were (12 + 7 + 4 + 11 +6) new members, which equals 40.

40/404 = 9.9% of new members have posted substantially since joining. The attrition rate of new people who end up not visiting the site regularly ends up being, lo and behond, 90%.

I don't think that saying 90% of people who join the boards end up not staying around to post regularly is much of a stretch. If I was hardcore, I'd mine the data from the equivalent last year's time to see if there was a difference, but I'm not really into counting all of this data by hand.

And for everyone who thinks that I actively hate Suikosource, SuikoX, SARS, and the Suikoden community, I really don't. If I did really hate it, then I wouldn't be here posting. It's as simple as that. But I got people talking about an issue that's nagged at me for some time now, which I feel is more important than any viewpoint that I personally hold (or any names that I've been called, or any reputation of my own that I've tarnished). ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: