Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

World Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abyssinian

Abyss Mercenary Union

56886 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: World Issues Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just though it would be nice if we had a place to discuss some of the issues around the world going on around lately. And seeing i didn't see a thread like this around, i decided to make one.

For example, the 'problem' of Iran resuming the uranium enrichment program... And Bush a few days ago using the same language as he did before attacking Iraq, using the excuse you all know of (No pun intended to any who voted him or sympathize him). But still, when i think about these things, my mind just focuses on something like, what if the 'world' forced the US to get rid of it's nuclears? What would they do then? I personally think they want to be the only ones who would posses a superior military arsenal than the rest of the world, and if this keeps up, I suppose they might find an excuse to make europe give up on theirs.... But I don't know.... Any thoughts?

Another thingy.... What do you think about Mac's cooperation with Intel? I think i won't work well... seeing people already have their opinioin regarding macs as 'machines that are hard to use' or something, so... i think it won't improve the situation much...

(My first topic! >.<)

EDIT: 5 minutes after making it... it seems to have replaced arrsenal (without an r) with a *beep* thing :P ...Probably the word filter...
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dont see what the problem is with iran, inspectors HAVE been in and found no evidence of weapons being produced, so why shouldnt they have the right to use nueclear power for energy. this is just the American goverment yet again scare mongering and villifying the middle east, in some part i believe because of there beliefs, americans are scared because the average middle american thinks that all people of Arabian decent are card carrying terrorists.

i think America should start to reduce its neuclear capabilities, if only as a gesture of good will, or even to try to lead by example, the sooner the age of neuclear weapons is over the better for all of the world, though even if iran did have neuclear weapons, why would they launch them? has the American government forgotten the reason why s full scale neuclear war never happened with the USSR? ive got three letters for you.. M-A-D.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm of Iranian descent, and what's going on in Iran seems very suspicious. First of all, President Ahmadinejad is a lunatic. He is a religious fundamentalist who thinks he is chosen by God to lead Iran into a Golden Age. He has denied that the Holocaust ever happened. He has called for Israel to be "wiped off the map." He has censored all Western music in his country. He says he prays for Ariel Sharon's death. There are reports that he funds the Chechen rebels while trying to improve relations with Russia.

While Iran certainly has the right to peaceful nuclear technology, I'm wary about even a step towards nuclear weaponry. Such weapons in the hands of this lunatic would be a catastrophe.

I agree that the United States needs to massively scale down its own nuclear weaponry, to try to lead by example, as aydas arrow said. It really would make our "you can't have nukes" arguments more credible if we didn't have more of them stockpiled than any other nation.

The difference between Iran and Iraq is that Iraq was not even a potential threat, nor had Saddam Hussein called for foreign countries to be "wiped off the map." Iran should have nuclear technology only if the program is under constant surveillance until they get a more reasonable President.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

aydas_arrow wrote:
i dont see what the problem is with iran, inspectors HAVE been in and found no evidence of weapons being produced, so why shouldnt they have the right to use nueclear power for energy. this is just the American goverment yet again scare mongering and villifying the middle east, in some part i believe because of there beliefs, americans are scared because the average middle american thinks that all people of Arabian decent are card carrying terrorists.

i think America should start to reduce its neuclear capabilities, if only as a gesture of good will, or even to try to lead by example, the sooner the age of neuclear weapons is over the better for all of the world, though even if iran did have neuclear weapons, why would they launch them? has the American government forgotten the reason why s full scale neuclear war never happened with the USSR? ive got three letters for you.. M-A-D.

The problem here Aryas is not that weapons are being produced now, no one ever said they were making nuclear weapons right now. Key words being RIGHT NOW, his complete lunacy is what everyone is worried about, and while he cant right now a few months down the line he will. Israel has also made it clear, they are not ruling out preemptively taking out their nuclear weapons to ensure they cannot be used against them, and rightfully so. I think it is very naieve to think that they will not be making nuclear weapons once they are able, which is why everyone is worried. Israel has the ability, and the right to hold nuclear weapons, because the Arab world has made it clear they want Israel gone. Countries who would not give it a second thought to invading them, and trying to wipe them out, so those nukes are there as a warning. Dont think for a second if they thought Iran was going to launch against them, that they wouldnt be VERY justified in striking first. You also seem to have a very narrow minded view of the American people, and the goverment. It is not scare mongering, when the facts about what Iran is doing, and clearly planning on doing with their nuclear technology, including out of the mouth of their own President.

Now why is it you think the United States should scale down their nuclear weapons as a show of good will? A show of good will towards whom? Towards the Iranians, who have been thumbing their noses at the world, and bringing about nuclear technology despite repeated calls for an immediate ceasing on that? Towards the madman Kim Jong Il, who wouldnt give it a second thought to giving nuclear weapons to terrorists? Who would they be showing this good will to, is my question to you, since you brought this up. You ask why Iran would launch them, despite the clear signs that the president is completely out of his mind. The question should really be, why wouldnt he launch them considering that he wants to wipe out Israel? Not only that, but it is well known that Iran is more than happy to put their support in terrorists. So why should the United States show either of these two nations some good will, when they havent given anything to show worth of said good will? The age will never end so long as nations are more than willing to use them against the innocent, either directly, or indirectly through terrorist connections.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The issue with Iran is very complicated. First of all Ahmadinejad is a lunatic, but Iran's pursuit for nuclear technology did not start with him--it was being pursued under Khatami as well. Ahmadinejad, being a fundamentalist lunaic, sure does make it easier for the US (and other powers) to isolate Iran, and possibly rally enough international support to preempt an attack.

Ahmadinejad's comments so far have been barbaric and devoid of any real grasp of reality (seriously, he says he hears "voices," and that he felt an aura surrounding him when he was giving some speech--the guy is out of it). Even conservative clerics within Iran have been voicing concern on his actions. To me, it seems like Iran is trying to move towards removing Ahmadinejad.

However, Ahmadinejad being removed will not end Iran's nuclear ambition. Every nation wants to have nuclear weapons; it's an excellent political trump card and a defensive deterrence. For example, Pakistan developed nuclear weapons secretly. Once they had them, it basically became impossible to stop them from keeping them. Siding with the US after 911 also helped Pakistan from getting politically isolated.

Nations that already have nuclear weapons will never get rid of them. There's no political incentive now that there's no cold war.
The USA getting rid of their nukes will not be taken as a "show of good will." It will simply be thought if as a sign of weakness. Because the USA has the most powerful and sophisticated military force in the entire world, nations will always find reasons to hate them; this is natural. For USA to escape this predicament, another superpower needs to be created for a new cold war.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But will Military action be taken? Russia have a $1bn building contract there and the ever growing and ever emerging China get their Oil from Iran, two of the main countries with a veto in the UN.

I doubt they will want economic sanctions, let alone Military Action.

They only way i can see Military Action happening is if Ahmadinejad declares war if the UN do anything......and would you put it past him.......
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe wrote:
Israel has the ability, and the right to hold nuclear weapons, because the Arab world has made it clear they want Israel gone.

First, regarding Israel. While their nukes do provide some much needed defense, they also allow the Israelis to subjugate the Palestinians without fear of reprisals. Friends of my family, who were Palestinians in Israel, had their homes taken away to house Israeli homeless.

My ideal solution would be to take away Israel's weapons, as a show of "good will" and to limit the Israelis' power to subjugate. To make up for the lost defense, the United States should issue a statement saying that it does not support any violent resolution to the Israel-Palestine conflict and will aid Israel if it is invaded. Any country scared of Israel's nukes will be equally afraid of ours.

And "the Arab world" has actually made moderate progress towards peaceful relations with Israel, specifically countries like Qatar, Bahrain, and Jordan. Iran, the country most hostile to Israel, is technically not part of the "Arab world." The people of Iran are Persian and speak Farsi, not Arabic.

Quote:
So why should the United States show either of these two nations some good will, when they havent given anything to show worth of said good will?

So we should treat all hostility everywhere with equal hostility? If we follow that policy, how will we ever get anywhere in the Middle East? Hostility met with hostility produces only hostility. To quote Gandhi: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Good will has to start somewhere. Why not in the world's most powerful country?
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No point in showing Good Will to either Iran or North Korea at this stage. Good Will might work better and be more effective if there was a sane person leading these countries.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the UN Security Council just came to an agreement that Iran must abandon all of their nuclear activities (that is, USA, UK, France, Russia, and China). So basically, Ahmadinejad is on his own. If China and Russia want a piece of Iranian pie, then they would certainly be interested in "extreme" action. That way they can negotiate for a better deal. Considering the fact that the USA is already overextended militarily, any military action against Iran would have to be fronted by other UN nations.

Unless the UN can show real force, Ahmadinejad would have nothing to fear other than some airstrikes from Israel or USA.

Perhaps Ahmadinejad was exactly the person the "powers" wished to have Iran. It would have been difficult to attack Iran under a moderate like Khatami, but the world would have less qualms with a military campaign against Ahmadinejad. Major petrol companies would surely be happy with such a prospect.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow....everyone in agreement.

So is it a waiting game now? Sanctions first if Ahmadinejad does not comply?

How far down the road do you think military action could be?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The United States don't have the military to occupy Iran right now, everything is stretched enough as it is and Iran would be much harder to take and hold than Iraq ever was.

Also, the United Nations are sure to be slow about backing the U.S. on anything after that wonderful lesson on alienating the world that George W. Bush seems to excel so much at.

It looks like sanctions to me, for now.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think it is whether Iranians will overthrow Ahmadinejad, or international politics will force his removal. Ahmadinejad has a big mouth, but politically a lot of his measures have been derailed due to lack of support.

In Iran, the President is not the highest authority. Their commander-in-chief is the "Supreme Leader" who is not elected. Usually, this position is filled by some ayatollah or some sort of religious authority. The Supreme Leader has powers over the armed forces, special forces & intelligence, radio, national TV, etc. He also appoints 6 out of 12 members of the Council of Guardians, who sort of act as an oligarchy to make decisions for the country. The President exsits more as a mere head of the executive branch (I think). Basically, Ahmadinejad doesn't have that much power himself. Iran just revised the rules for the Expediency Council (a body that interprets the constitution), allowing them to audit the office of the President. This order came directly from the Supreme Leader, which shows that theres some interest in controlling the strange actions of Ahmadinejad.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
He also appoints 6 out of 12 members of the Council of Guardians

The rahbar does not only appoint the 6 clerics in the Council of Guardians, but also the Supreme Judge who then appoints the other 6 members of the Council of Guardians, the muftis. As such, the rahbar basically appoints all 12 guardians.
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First off, another cold war would suck. Second, I think that it is very likely that sanctions or no, if Iran continues with nueclear enrichment programs that Isreal will air raid whatever Iran gets together into ablivion. If that happens then it could cause the Iranian government to unify against Isreal and to approve military action. Another affect the air raid could cause would be that the Arab world would revert back to their hatting of Isreal and start trying to kill them again. If both of these things happened and Iran and the rest of the Arab Nations organized a treay of some sort and invaded Israel then the US would get involved and that could bring about a full scale war. I know that that was a string of hypothetical situations but I don't think that any of it is really all that farfetched.
An interesting point to bring up is that the president of Iran was also in charge or connected somehow to the hostage crisis in Iraq in the 80's. Wasn't he?

How is the "Supreme Leader" appointed anyway? Cause if the current one was to die, or resign, or whatever, and Ahmadinejad got to appoint the new "Supreme Leader" then wouldn't that guy be just as crazy as Ahmadinejad, or even crazier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: