Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

HUGE Suikoden V update at Gamespot...IN ENGLISH!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^ Hey I'm from Fremont too :o anyway.. I'm not sure if by "battle system", you mean the duels or the actual 6 person battles, but I think they both look great. the best yet actually.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see no evidence of a bland battle system.

It combines the traditional Suikoden I and II six-party battle system along with the powerful rune combos and adds a new element in the form of battle formations which affect the stats of different characters depending on their position in said formation.

It also continues the concept started in Suikoden III of support characters that can aid your party in different ways both inside and outside of battle. Add to that the possible addition of being able to switch party members from a limited pool (ten characters) on the fly and I see no reason to characterise the Suikoden V battle system as 'bland'.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Gino23

Longbow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah my bad , i did not mean the battle system...lol I meant the Huge Epic battle system. With the soldiers and stuff. That i thought was pretty bland. It just looks like it will have a clunky interface, i think its just me..but i preffered the turn based stuff of the last game (Naval battles being my favorite from 4)...but who knows..this system might be the best out of the 4...

Firefly, what part of fremont man ? I live in the sutter area...near mowry..and albertsons.
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh okay.. I still think the battle system is an improvement from previous suikoden's, although it does seem very similiar to Ogre Battle 64 to me... thats okay because I loved that game. I live near the Hub by the way.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Formations seem to diversify the gameplay so that your characters are even more customizable this time. Since formations change the original lining of the characters, you're going to have to be aware of how you place your characters. Since there is a range system, certain characters will be unable to attack if placed the wrong way. I In Suikoden V, because your party is always moving around, you're going to have to be fully aware how and where you put your characters. If you put a magician character in the front line accidently you'll probably get scrwed. For example, Lyon seems to be placed on short. In one position, she's in the front line, but in the other, she's placed all the way in the back. You're going to have to change your strategy constantly if you're going to want to take advantage of this, because now you're missing one able attacker and (possible) tank. The potential for this formation is high. At first it seemed like just a gimmick, but now I can see it's potential. For those Suikoden fans like me who want the series have a deeper battle system but still hold the series roots (SI and II battle system) this is godsend.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the menus of the 6-party battles are rather... uninteresting... But that may be just me. I still found it rather enjoyable. I myself just watched the trailer just now...

The Formations add a good touch of strategy even if out of epic battles. I guess some formations can be learned in-game through other NPCs... But that's my guess as well. Unless of course they start with ALL those formations...

The War battle are like a mix of Kessen and LoTR on the PC... It may be interesting. But i can't say so until i try it myself...

As for the voice acting, all of them are pretty decent. Arshtat and Sialeeds stood out much more that the others though...

And, i can officially say that [Falena's Finest] is the best Unite i've seen in a while! :mrgreen:

melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:
Hmm...Lyon has the Dusk Rune...that's unexpected. I don't think that she'll be an enemy though. Perhaps she might be the new queen if both Arshtat and Limslair die...We never know...

Has it been confirmed which of the two the Prince possesses, the Dawn Rune or the Dusk Rune? From what I saw of the trailer his face appears overlaid with both runes at different times... Unless there was some information I missed.. ^^0 It'll be cool if you get to choose whether its Prince/Dawn and Lyon/Dusk or Prince/Dusk and Lyon/Dawn.. Kinda like how you got to choose who received the True Fire Rune (and thus affecting where the other 2 Runes went) in Suikoden 3.

And.. just for kicks, I went and whipped up an avatar of the Dawn and Dusk Runes overlaid on each other XD. The similarity basically confirms that what we saw in the gameplay video really was the two Runes combined.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not confirmed which has which, but it's speculated that the Hero will have the Rune of Dawn, which leaves Lyon with the Rune of Dusk.

I like the avatar, melange.

Yeah, the major battles remind me of Kessen quite a bit.

Hmm...I did like the [Falena's Finest] attack, but one thing bugs me. Where is Sialeeds during all of this? Is she in the reserve support slot or did something happen to her...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Punishment_xmas

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope Dawn and Dusk combine is new true rune
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Falena's Finest unite is between all the Falenan Knights (minus Ferid), so naturally Sialeeds would not be involved.

^Actual quote!
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Hmm...I did like the [Falena's Finest] attack, but one thing bugs me. Where is Sialeeds during all of this? Is she in the reserve support slot or did something happen to her...

I bet she's just in reserve for now. You need all 5 of the knights for [Falena's Finest] to work. So it was unnecessary for Sialeeds to be in that battle. Actually, it may have been the player's preference as well.. Nothing yet has been speculated if anything perilous happens to her anyway... :roll:

MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt that something happens to her. I think she is seen in the headquaters of the castle.

I'd probably use her over some of the knights, since I tend to like magic over physical attacks. If she's a great magician, she'll probably be one of my main party or my four reserve characters for most of the game.

Official Smoke Bomb User

melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:
It's not confirmed which has which, but it's speculated that the Hero will have the Rune of Dawn, which leaves Lyon with the Rune of Dusk.

I like the avatar, melange.

Yeah, the major battles remind me of Kessen quite a bit.

Excuse me for being curious but, how was the speculation arrived at? Was there some minor detail that seemed to people to hint at that?

Thanks about the avatar. :)

The major battles do seem like Kessen 3 in the sense that thing happen in real time and only pauses momentarily when you issue orders. Kessen was a great game. The real time was a superb touch and added realism though it was kinda hectic switching around 10 different units while trying to time all their attacks/specials just right ^^0. I doubt in Suikoden 5 we'll have the pinpoint accuracy of movement control of the units like there was in Kessen though.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that we confirmed that the Hero had the Rune of Dawn in a thread somewhere (forget which one). It's guessed that Lyon might have the Rune of Dusk, but that's not certain.

Hmm...this makes me think that you have to have both halves of the True Rune in order for it to work. Maybe it could just be an awesome unite attack of sorts. I believe that it is the latter, since in a scene at Gamespy, I think the Prince is seen using the rune without Lyon using hers...

Official Smoke Bomb User

melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:
I think that we confirmed that the Hero had the Rune of Dawn in a thread somewhere (forget which one). It's guessed that Lyon might have the Rune of Dusk, but that's not certain.

About having confirmed that the prince does have the Rune of Dawn, I'm not sure but I think you're talking about this post from the thread "Sun Rune: its look and powers"?

Zaj wrote:
Even though this thread is about the Sun Rune, I'd like to show you a picture of the three True Runes as shown by the trailer... well, it does have the Sun Rune too, so... here
The pic in the middle is a compilation of the hero's zoomed-in eye scenes, so I'm guessing, that it's the hero's rune... maybe even the Dawn rune. Mostly I'm intrigued by the small and the big hole in it and what they symbolize, though, made me think of the Rune of Change first, what with the blue/red, fire/water, night/day themes on the pieces of the pic too, but the hero having such a rune would be too complicated.

Gah, I wan't a clearer and fuller picture of it...

But the thing is if you look at the two pictures in the middle of the linked image in the above post, the Prince has BOTH the Rune of Dusk and the Rune of Dawn overlaid on his face, albeit each over a different eye. So unless there's something else (that I haven't stumbled upon ^^0) linking the Prince specifically with the Rune of Dawn, I'm not that sure we can say conclusively yet that his rune is the Rune of Dawn.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: