Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who else has a Suikoden Marathon tradition?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeonMouko

Fierce Tigers

116367 Potch
419 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Who else has a Suikoden Marathon tradition? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I mean is... well. Whenever a new game comes out, I have a Suikoden Marathon.

In other words, I take out all of the previous Suikodens and play them in order, ending the whole thing with the latest addition (in this case, it would be Suikoden 5 when it comes out). I play each one, getting THE PERFECT SAVE of which to use for the data load (though this doesn't apply for Suikoden 3 and 4, for obvious reasons). Am I the only one to do this (and does this make me weird, if so? ^_- ) or does anyone else have a similar tradition? So far, I've done it for Suikoden 3, Suikoden 4, and Suikoden Tactics. Likewise, I intend to do it for Suikoden 5.

So, am I alone and very weird or do any of you have similar marathons?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whenever I replay a Suikoden game I am compelled to play the entire series in order, yes.

Basically, every six months more or less, I'll go through a grand sweep of the series to date. I also attempt to create 'the perfect save' for uploading into the next game. Of course, due to PAL/NTSC conflicts, this only applies to Suikoden I and Suikoden IV. However, it's not stopping me from perfecting Suikoden II and III.

I just do it because I like the Suikoden series. It helps keep my Suikoden knowledge topped up (I was a major DBZ freak for several years and it's all starting to slip away on me now, can't let that happen twice.) and it's fun to spot the links and connections between the games.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do. I tried for Suikoden Tactics but only got as far as Suikoden II. I'll probably start again from where I left off since it's about time I play Suikoden III again and I still need a Suikoden IV/Tactics save with HeroIV called Lazlo instead of Hawk.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sometimes. Occasionally, I do revisits of the older Suikoden titles, but I don't usually play them in any particular order, nor do I necessarily always play all of them. It's been years since I've played Suikoden III, but I played Suikoden II over the summer, and Suikoden Tactics since then. However, I am thinking about establishing one, if for no other reason than the older games tend to slip away...I've forgotten some of the things from the first game, how things played out, the names of some more obscure Stars of Destiny, and things of that nature.

The main problem with playing all of the games for me is that I just plain don't like some of them as much as others. I definitely like Suikoden II the best, followed closely by Suikoden III. The others trail somewhere behind...probably with Suikoden in the lead, followed by Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden IV...but the only one that I've been able ot reply endlessly without it getting old for me was Suikoden II. I find the length of Suikoden III to be a bit contrary to doing runthroughs...and since I already know how things are going to turn out, it can be frustrating to watch multiple perspectives of the same events.

Not to mention that I like both the regular battle and war battle systems in Suikoden III the least out of any of the games, with the exception of Suikoden IV only providing for a party of four. Blasphemy. Still, the 'pair' concept from Suikoden III still fails to make sense to me, even years after the game's release. In fact, gameplay wise, I consider III to be the worst of the Suikodens. If I didn't like the story and the characters so much, I doubt I would ever even be tempted to play it again. It has the line point map, which I consider unforgiveable in a "classic" style RPG rather than a "tactical" RPG such as Rhapsodia / Suikoden Tactics. Not that cruising around in a ridiculously slow and difficult to maneuver ship for hours while fighting random battles every two seconds is any better, mind you.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm so doing it this time.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I have not had the pleasure of undertaking such a measure due to my not owning the first game of the series much to my personal dismay. If I had a choice in the matter there is nothing I would like more than to be able every time a new game in the series comes out to play through all of the games again in order. So right now if I were to play the games, the first game I would play was Suikoden 4 since it's the earliest in the timeline, it would only make sense right? Followed by Suikoden Tactics, followed by Suikoden 1, then 2, then 3 of course. Though I might at that time choose to rather than go that route right away, I would wait until Suikoden 5 came out, where I would learn it's place on the timeline, and play accordingly. Wouldnt want to take away for the Suikoden timeline play through since I wouldnt know until I read it somewhere. For those wondering I hear there is a chance that this game could come out some time in March here, but I highly doubt it. We would have heard something about that by now.

Personally I think it is quite a cool idea to do a Suikoden Marathon, but as I have already mentioned, I dont have that ability at the moment. One day perhaps, I will be able to undertake this idea on my own time, so with that being said. Does anyone know where I could pick up a copy of Suikoden 1 in the Vancouver British Columbia area?

The Strategists

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(I'm new to this forum ... hi!)

I'm beginning my very first Suikoden marathon since Suikoden Tactics & Suikoden V are coming out. My boyfriend was a Suikoden nut when we first started dating, and now he's got me addicted to the world of Suikoden. I'm about 15 hours from finishing Suikoden III. I am in love with the game series and I already want to replay Suikoden I & II! :D

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not doing it even if I wanted I couldnt because I cant stand playing Suikoden 3.But I'm beating Suikoden(1) every year about 4 times.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah i do a Marathon too.

I bought the first three games at the same time so that was fun playing from Suikoden right through to Suikoden III.
I replayed them all again when i bought Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics.

You can be certain that i will play them all again just before Suikoden V is released.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a marathon also. Though I don't have Suiko 1. :(

I do however start in a chronlogical order in the Suiko game timeline meanin: Suiko 4, Suiko Tactics, Suiko 2, and finally Suiko3. I already finshied Suiko 4 (while losing my sanity playing it again), then finished Suiko Tactics (made up for Suiko 4), then Suiko 2 (the best ) and now I'm finsihing up on Suiko 3 (I'm in Geddoe's Chapter 3 as of now). This is also my first marathon so it's refreshing to play the games before a new Suiko installment.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should actually play the beginning of Tactics, then Suikoden IV and then Tactics again. You may even need to play part of ST while playing SIV. It gets kinda complicated.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yepp, i'm doing this everytime before or after a new suikoden comes out.

i've beaten suikoden 1 over 10 times, suikoden 2 over 6 times and suikoden 3 4 times.. suikoden 4 2 times and suikoden tactics also 2 times..
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I really would like to do a marathon thing, but since I don't have a copy of II, it would feel kind of hollow.

Though I did play through IV again before I got Tactics. And on that second play through, I actually came to like Suiko IV. Maybe because I had just found out you could make the boat go faster...

The Strategists

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
You should actually play the beginning of Tactics, then Suikoden IV and then Tactics again. You may even need to play part of ST while playing SIV. It gets kinda complicated.
Eek! o_o Have like two Playstations set up with two TVs ... that could be fun! :)

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoa, I'm glad to see that I'm not all alone. I'm not always trying to get the best endings when I'm playing, though. Here's my experiences of playing Suikoden:
I started playing with Suikoden II and played it without getting the perfect ending and after that I got Suikoden I and the first time I didn't get the perfect ending for that either, even though I tried because I wanted to get both perfect endings this time, but I somehow played it really fast through and got to upload the data and then I played II through again, evening up the playthroughs too. After some while I decided to try to play through the Suikodens trying not to recruit anyone unless necessary (which I horribly failed, I'll try again sometime), I also looked what the ending you can get in Tinto was like and after that it hit me. I was playing the Suikodens in a marathon and decided I'd continue this way. So after some while Suikoden IV got released in europe by some miracle and of course I just had to play Suikoden I and Suikoden II after that (actually, I somewhat accidentally started slowing down when getting near the ending of Suikoden II) so soon it's time for Suikoden Tactics. And now that Suikoden V is already getting an american release and the PAL releases for the newer Suikoden's have varied from a month to three months... brr... Suikoden overload!

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: