Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V release date. Bad move?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windspun_Monkey

Monkeys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The main reason I stumbled on to the suikoden series was I was bored and waiting for another FF game to come out. I was in the store and I saw Suikoden 2 sitting there. I bought it and it has since become my favorite rpg sereies. I bought the game a couple of months after it's release. KH was a pretty fun game but I prefer the more traditional turn-based RPG, probably because I grew up playing them. I played the FFXII demo and didn't care for the battle system. There are only two games that I'm looking forwared to right now (Suikoden 5, Grandia III). As long as Konami keeps the battle system traditional, I will be a fan. I think that traditional RPG gamers will turn to other series now that the FF series is taking a new direction. Square is just lucky that they have Grandia now too. Although not as good as the Suikoden series, it is a solid series and the third installment seems to be generating some hype. If Konami could market in America a little better, they could have a huge fan base here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys are forgetting something.

I don't know about the US or Japan, but in Europe Kingdom Hearts wasn't well received at first, it was frowned upon as a kiddy game from the unwary.

Later, after the initial release the game's merit were made known, and people started to fall to it, it didn't sell well at first, it became that brand that it is now in time.

So don't look at Kingdom Hearts like a god compared to Suikoden, it had humble beginnings, is not like Final Fantasy and for me is not the same kind of game exactly, by that I mean its an action RPG it could have a bigger or slightly different audience to Suikoden.

I don't look at these games to be head to head, sorry but I don't, RPG fans that enjoy the genre won't miss out on any of the two, while the mainstream will favor Kingdom Hearts II to Suikoden V whether they are released at the same time or not.

It won't help or halt sales significantly from my point of view, if not released at the same time, oh and I'm not sure about those dates, especially when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, I somehow doubt it will be released then...
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KH was always like that. People percieved it as kiddy before it came out in North America too.
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To an extent, Kingdom Hearts IS kiddy.
It has an appeal to a younger demographic than most rpgs.

Thats not really a bad thing.

I mean, the Chronicles of Narnia movie was "kiddy"
and it was pretty bad ass in my opinion.

Just because a game goes for a more general audience
doesn't mean it cant be quality.

Honestly, the most valid criticism I can find of KH is that its so commercial.
Because the idea, the premise behind it is all just built upon the knowledge that it will make money,
and any storyline is derived from that intial point.

Whereas games like Suikoden, Final Fantasy,
and others were actually quite daring when they were first produced.

But, hey, if you like a game, who cares if its kiddy, or main stream,
or what have you?

If its fun, its fun.

I am definetely looking forward to Grandia 3,
and Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, and Baten Kaitos 2.

The current gen is really putting out alot of top tier rpgs in its final days.

Last edited by EZ_Rabbit on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
The post you quoted stated that the majority of Kingdom Hearts fans are not Suikoden fans. It does not state that Suikoden fans cannot be Kingdom Hearts fans.

Thank you for clarifying that.
Windspun_Monkey

Monkeys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be completely honest, I did play and finish Kingdom Hearts. I didn't end up liking it very much and I'm not planning on buying Kingdom Hearts 2. I did find it very "kiddy", didn't enjoy the story, and didn't care for the battle system. There are a lot of RPGs that are very "kiddy" that are enjoyable. I thought Disgaea was "kiddy" and I enjoyed that game. I have only played one RPG in the last 6 months that I've absolutely loved and that was Suikoden Tactics. The story was so-so but the game play was outstanding.

I will have to agree with most people and say that the release date won't hurt Suikoden 5 sale figures too bad. The loyal fan base will all purchase the game and some others will probably buy it after they are done with Kingdom Hearts 2. Konami just needs to advertise heavily and generate more hype for the game here in the US. We all know we will see commercials all over TV for highly hyped Square-Enix games. If Konami would do this they may be able to get some more people to play the game. If they get more fans they will stay fans forever and will most likely purchase some older Suikoden games. Who knows, maybe this board will gain a ton of members too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

KH was a fun game...but nothing to obsess about..for me. I hope that Suikoden V makes KH2 look weak. FFXII, too.

I wouldnt say that about FFXII, heh.. I always been a Square fan, but I'm overly obsessed about both Suikoden V and KH2, those are the 2 main games I plan on getting in March.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked KH very much. It used psychological symbolism real well, and I like that sort of stuff. I'll probably get KH2 as well, but I'm already independent and can spend money on stuff like this if I want. Ahahahah.
Neiva

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
I liked KH very much. It used psychological symbolism real well, and I like that sort of stuff. I'll probably get KH2 as well, but I'm already independent and can spend money on stuff like this if I want. Ahahahah.

Independent? Do you mean you turned 18 or something? Or recently got out of debt?

Well the KH series is pretty infantile.. but the whole Disney worlds pretty much swayed me into buying the first one, I am pretty sure the sequel will do the same. I just hope that was the end of the Sephiroth return.. geez.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARS is independent enough to buy any kind of game that he can buy. He's already have a job.

Well maybe KONAMI though that KH2 and Suikoden V takes different consument demographic type (one for older the other for younger) and that's why they dare to release it 2 days before KH2 released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just pre ordered MGS3 Subsistence,
(since it got some annoncements alongside Suikoden)
and with the news that it will retain
all the special addition stuff that the Japanese release got,
my hopes are high for a change in policy.

Perhaps this will be a sign of things to come?
I sure would love some of that Suikoden Special Edition stuff.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was hoping we'd have an announcement for SV limited edition alongside MGS3: Subsistence limited edition.
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well since the only thing I liked about KH was the gameplay(thought the story was lame) I'll defintely be picking up S5 and I'll proably wait untill KH htis the 20$ price range before picking it up.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Independence? Who has independence from Time? Who has time to play two huge RPG-type games released side by side, especially with other releases like Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Shadow Hearts From the New World? (Although SH is a lot more obscure than Suikoden...)

I think it's great that Konami is making a surprise strike with Suikoden V. When were you expecting an American release, given that Tactics came out just three months ago and that Suikoden V comes out in Japan at the end of February? I'm sure most were expecting autumn, which is when Europe seems to be getting the game (Gamefront).

With March 28, Konami avoids the late spring and summer lull, without needing to participate in the autumn rush. What they need now for such a quick release is a marketing blitzkrieg, which might just work very well. You can orchestrate a very focused campaign in the space of two months, when you don't have to keep it going for several months or even more than half a year (for example, from now in January to a fall release in September).
Zangalis

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

www.1up.com has the release date for Suiko V listed as August 1st. So, I'm just going to assume that's VERY wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: