Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden a.k.a The Water Margin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Suikoden a.k.a The Water Margin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any One know a good ENGLISH site where i can find info about the old japanese story "The Fantastic Water Margin/ Gensou Suikoden"?? www.suikoden.com seems intresting but its chinese ^^

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That site isn't it Chinese, it's in Japanese.

Also, the Water Margin is not an "old Japanese story." It is a Chinese novel written in the 15th century.

As for an English version, Pearl Buck has translated the original novel into English, but it's a rare find.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't stand people who confuse Japanese and Chinese... Bah...
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Kobold i didnt confuse it its just that i thought it was because the story is chinese and i accidently said its a japanese story...plus it translated form Chinese to english better then from japanese to english on altavista.com..i dont speal japanese chinese or any other asian languages but i surely can tell wich is what by looking at it im really into asian culture

@Sars yeah thx anyways i found a site: http://www.geocities.com/nguyenvfr/English/herosx.html ...i found out some intresting stuff out that i might post later on...oh btw: great work on ur site its great (expecially the S4 Infos)

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's my opinion, you don't have to argue for yourself. No big deal for making a mistake. But hello there, you first said water margin was a japanese story, and then said a japanese site to be chinese. If that is not confusing between the languages, i don't know what is.

If you made a mistake, fine it doesn't matter. It's just my comment. But trying to cover up in a hardly convincing manner...
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Enough.

As for the translated novel that SARSadmin mentioned, I think I've seen it on eBay a few times, and for pretty cheap (30 or so).
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden inspired me to read Shui Zhu Huan, which i managed to find in my library by good fortune. Yes, it was translated by Pearl Buck. I enbjoyed reading those 70 chapters, 1200+ pages in all.

There were some things different in the List of Stars. For example, the Teni star (Pesmerga & Lucia) is Hu Yien Shu The Double Clubs of Iron. and also, the Tenkyu Star (Milich, Anita and Estella) is known in the book as the Penetrable Star, not the Lewd Star.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also Amazon has the Water MArgin as well As romance of the three kingdoms and other stories all in this one huge hard bound set that they wanna charge you 150+ for.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I m sure there is a translated book version of the Water Margin out there somewhere and I am actually looking forward to reading it to get a different perspective on Suikoden as a series. It may even give us a glimpse on how the series will progress perhaps for the final game of the series. Not exactly that way but wouldnt it be great if they took some of the aspects from the book and fit them into the storyline for the final game. That would be a game that even if I hadnt played the series before i would look to get into anyway. However that might just be me.

Croc's Fury

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As for an English version, Pearl Buck has translated the original novel into English, but it's a rare find.

I have read that one few months ago. Shui Hu Chuan is really fantastic.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is the book really that difficult to find as you all seem to be saying? I guess it is probably going to take me awhile to find it at a bookstore or a library huh? I suppose I really should start on looking for it if I have any hope of reading it sooner or later huh?

Croc's Fury

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To help you buy the book, not the same version that I bought, nearly 1000 pages, go to the following site:

http://www.chinesecultureonline.com/productdetail.do?menu=BA&id=50
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep in mind that there are some books that aren't the real novel in question. For example, in a library nearby, there was "The Water Margin", by David Weir i.e. translated by David Wier. But this story was quite different from the real story. There was no mention of the 108 stars of Destiny and there were only a handful of characters, not all of them. In conclusion, just make sure that if you find the "All Men are Brothers"/"The Water Margin"/"Outlaws of the Marsh", see that it's the right one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: